Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Any Golfers on here?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I used to play semi-regularly. Most frustrating activity I've ever attempted in my life. Have not touched my clubs in over a decade, except once as I contemplated putting them on the curb on garbage day.

As I typed this I just realized the very last time I played golf was the day I met Mrs Flex for our first date. September 6th, 2005. My boss at the time took a few to us to his private club for the afternoon. I had a date with Mrs Flex that evening. Pretty much changed my life. :D

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I used to play semi-regularly. Most frustrating activity I've ever attempted in my life. Have not touched my clubs in over a decade, except once as I contemplated putting them on the curb on garbage day.

As I typed this I just realized the very last time I played golf was the day I met Mrs Flex for our first date. September 6th, 2005. My boss at the time took a few to us to his private club for the afternoon. I had a date with Mrs Flex that evening. Pretty much changed my life. :D
I guess that was the purpose for golf in your life... mission accomplished! Now sit them on the curb.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Coincidentally was asked at lunchtime today to go with some workmates next week. Just a little par 3.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
My girl just got me my first set of clubs for a Christmas gift this past year. I've been about 5 times total in my life. It's fun, but frustrating as hell. I have a mean slice on a driver. I don't understand the mechanics of the swing, nor do I really care. I hit the ball and chase it. I can only hit a hybrid (this is what I use to tee off because it's the biggest club I can hit straight), irons, and a pitching wedge. I could live with those clubs all day, but obviously my score can't keep up with someone that can whack a ball 300 yards. I'm pretty good at drinking beer and driving the cart though.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I basically have played on occasion for business reasons over the years when I've felt it necessary. But I'm not very good at it, and luckily rarely feel the need to play.

It's very hot and humid much of the year where I live, and I'd rather save much of my physical energy for the gym and the bedroom.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Golf is not a sport.

Also I hate it largely because my dad is obsessed and would disregard all parental duties to go play 3 times a week.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Golf is not a sport.

Also I hate it largely because my dad is obsessed and would disregard all parental duties to go play 3 times a week.

Shit, sorry to hear that. I do know of a few folks that do that. They work mad hours during the week, then, pretty much every weekend, head out to the courses from sun up until sundown. They have kids still living at home too. That's one reason why I don't want to get involved in to playing. It's too damn time consuming.

OTOH, I will take my youngest out to the driving range and practice green to practice a little. I love the one on one time with her, but what's also nice is that her attention span is only about 30 mins and she is ready to leave. I am ok with that. :)

Reactions: HGH
HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Shit, sorry to hear that. I do know of a few folks that do that. They work mad hours during the week, then, pretty much every weekend, head out to the courses from sun up until sundown. They have kids still living at home too. That's one reason why I don't want to get involved in to playing. It's too damn time consuming.

OTOH, I will take my youngest out to the driving range and practice green to practice a little. I love the one on one time with her, but what's also nice is that her attention span is only about 30 mins and she is ready to leave. I am ok with that. :)

both my parents are enormously selfish, and obsessed with their leisure activities. it's why i'm independent, because i never had any help. it's also why i hate golf and poker (all cards really). my parents didn't cancel their weekly poker night even the night before i had to take the ACT and again the night before I took the SATs. Our house was like a bar with 15 adults playing poker, smoking, drinking, laughing. i remember looking at the clock and it was like 3am and i had to take the ACT at 7. i was pissed. i still did well on both tests tho. ;)

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
both my parents are enormously selfish, and obsessed with their leisure activities. it's why i'm independent, because i never had any help. it's also why i hate golf and poker (all cards really). my parents didn't cancel their weekly poker night even the night before i had to take the ACT and again the night before I took the SATs. Our house was like a bar with 15 adults playing poker, smoking, drinking, laughing. i remember looking at the clock and it was like 3am and i had to take the ACT at 7. i was pissed. i still did well on both tests tho. ;)

So would you say that you have a jaded perception of what both activities are, based on your upbringing?

I'm an avid golfer - well hockey player converted to golfer about 12-13 years ago. I play in amateur tourneys and I play at 6a on sundays at my club and back home by 10a to spend the rest of the day with my family. During the week, I cut out of work early and am home without any noticeable difference from when I normally come home. Happy balance - we all need release valves.

But golf is 100%, absolutely, unequivocally - a sport. You're wrong there.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
So would you say that you have a jaded perception of what both activities are, based on your upbringing?

I'm an avid golfer - well hockey player converted to golfer about 12-13 years ago. I play in amateur tourneys and I play at 6a on sundays at my club and back home by 10a to spend the rest of the day with my family. During the week, I cut out of work early and am home without any noticeable difference from when I normally come home. Happy balance - we all need release valves.

But golf is 100%, absolutely, unequivocally - a sport. You're wrong there.

golf is not a sport. if old men can excel at it, it isn't a sport. if you can be EXCELLENT at it, yet cannot run a mile, it is not a sport. there is as much athleticism in play as playing a video game.

and anyway, generally speaking, most men elevate their hobbies to a place of "importance" rather than just "fun". my parents are extreme examples but they're not my only experience.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Well I'm a former D1 athlete and I played Juniors hockey (the real Juniors where we fought with our fists and guys got contracts to play professionally) so what do I know about sports?

The fact that you don't know much about it, leads me to believe that you're either:

A. Not good at it
B. Won't play it because Daddy didn't give you enough hugs
C. Ignorant because of A and B.

Either way, it's a sport that takes an element of athleticism to excel at - Fat guys play recreational softball, is that not a sport? You don't have to be a physical specimen to be a top performer, but then again look at Cecil Fielder, Frank Thomas, Pablo Sandoval.......or maybe you don't watch baseball because some other thing in your childhood caused you to feel oppressed there as well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic