Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Any car guys in here?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
One of my buddies hosted some dinner and drinks tonight. A hand full of other cool cars but could not get them all in the pics. ;)

Sometimes I have to pinch myself that I get to be around these cars. It is hard to not feel like a kid in a candy store!

CJuiLz6.jpg

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I feel like reposting my Dodge and Chevy just for fun,

We are in totally different worlds......

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
Pictures Wtf; I tried a bunch of different stuff guys. I'm lost on it. Basically its the back end of the car being stripped out. New stuff going in. Stock motor. I have 347 shortblock on a rolling stand for couple of years. This year? Heads! They are hard to get. I needed them but with wait times of 4 weeks which are really ten, how about other things this summer instead?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I feel like reposting my Dodge and Chevy just for fun,

We are in totally different worlds......

It aint like that at all man. Actually you would fit right in. Funny that I have found the guys that drive these cars tend to be the least judgmental of others. (I have found true Porsche guys the worst and there are some dudes who only wear Ferrari underwear...but they are the exception). Most of the guys that I know that own and drive exotics are not married to one brand etc. They tend to like all cars and a lot of them would surprise you (in a good way). At least that is what I have found.

On a funny note, one of my sons friends who we became friend with the parents, came by the other day. They missed my birthday and so they sent their son with a little present for me.

They had a custom mug made for me.

Totally love it! :D

XEbTfQg.jpg

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Pictures Wtf; I tried a bunch of different stuff guys. I'm lost on it.

If you go on imgur.com you can create an account. You can than add images with simple drag and drop. Once they are uploaded it will look like this. Clock 'copy' on the BB code and paste it into your reply and your pics will appear! I think you can do 9 or 10 in a single post.

Love to see pics!

zHru8yh.jpg

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I dont think that is the case. In the case of McLaren, their cars are very bleeding edge. The tech of the car is often what is breaking.

With a corvette, there are 30,000 produced per year. And they probably share any number of parts and standard sensors with other GM cars.

Not the case with exotics. A 'mainstream' exotic like a Huracan, only has 2400 made per year world wide. A 'flagship' car like an aventador is only 1100 per year.

It stands to reason that parts are a lot more expensive. For example, a carbon ceramic rotor for a corvette is 'only' about 1,200 to replace. One on a huracan is 8000. Parts and scalability.

Both Ferrari and Lamborghini have GREATLY improved reliability. I dont think McLaren has gotten their yet. That is not to say that the top McLaren lineup may be some of the best performing cars out there. From an ownership standpoint, they scare me too much.

The cost is not all scaling issues. Take a look at power plant production. The tolerances and materials required to build a naturally aspirated Lamborghini engine that is only 5.2 liters but putting out 640 hp at close to 9000 rpm are very different than the GM. Even take the latest C8 LT2 out of the C8. They are only getting 495hp out of a 6.2 liter engine. As a comparable the Aventador is a 6.5 liter engine putting out 770hp. What it takes to accomplish that is miles difference in materials and tolerances.

Looking to GM's ZR1 motor....arguably it's ultimate performance platform. 6.2L Supercharged, putting out 755hp. Contrast that to the McLaren 765LT with a 4.0L Turbocharged putting out 830hp.

You're only telling part of the story, and your also way off. In 2020 chevy only built like 20,000 C8s for 2020 and they havent even started making the Z06s or the ZR1s yet. The last year they made ZR1s was in 2019, and they only made 2950 or so. But you really think corvettes share parts with other chevy cars? lol.. I am quite positive the chevy engineers are pushing the boundaries with performance and technology with the new c8 corvette. Im sure the Chevy Trax isnt using the same sensors as a new c8 corvette. They just stopped production of the 21s because of a break wire issue. Now if you're going on prior years, yes the numbers are in the 30,000 produced.

The new Z06 C8 when it comes out is rumored to be 5.5L flat crank, naturally aspirated producing 625+ horsepower. Compare that to the old C7 Z06 which had a 6.2L with a supercharger that made 650hp. Thats the difference. The avenger you are speaking of is a naturally aspirated V12, of course it is going to put out over 700HP. How is that even comparable? You're talking about 2 different motors. 6.2L V8 vs. 6.5L flat crank V12. It is like you're putting down the performance of a corvette, and you probably havent even driven a new one. Ive driven a huracan, Ferrari, and a mclaren. I wasn't impressed with the Ferrari at all. And Ive owned a Z06 with the track package, and raced them on a track. I know what they can do and how they handle. All this horsepower means nothing if you dont know how to drive one. To be straight up honest, I thought I knew how to race a car, but I didnt. It took me years to master what these guys on the track do. And when I have time, I still am trying to get better. When I first tried racing, after 5 laps around a track, I was exhausted, and sweating. I was trying to catch the pace car, not possible because I didnt know how to handle turns, how to break correctly, when to accelerate, etc.

I am waiting to see what the new ZR1 will be like. Rumored to be 5.5L flat crank with twin turbos, 825hp. Then the Zora with the same motor, twin turbos and an electric motor, 1000+ HP. I am hoping they will make these with AWD options. Would consider buying one, but I really like the Huracan Evo Spyder, just out of my price range at $300K.

Don't know if you heard of the SSC Tuataras, but they produced over 1350hp on a 5.9L V8 twin turbo with 91octane. Using E85, its over 1700hp, and 1300lb ft. torque. Those cars are insane.. Base price is over $1.5M, with options you could be over $2M. They even have a flame option, that shoots flames out of the tailpipe. I think if you're spending that kind of money, you would have to get the flame option.. :)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You're only telling part of the story, and your also way off. In 2020 chevy only built like 20,000 C8s for 2020 a Im sure the Chevy Trax isnt using the same sensors as a new c8 corvette. They just stopped production of the 21s because of a break wire issue. Now if you're going on prior years, yes the numbers are in the 30,000 produced.

I am not really sure what you are saying. I was simply pointing out economies of scale or a car with 10x the production numbers and how much cheaper it is to produce (and sell) given the amount of production. (Stemming from the orignal comment about Lambo parts being expensive by @FLEXjs . When you are making production runs of 200,000 cars, how much do you think a wheel liner costs you to make? There are 1000's of parts that benefit from economies of scale in mass production.

I dont like the C8 at all. In fact I hate it. I have become more a fan of the C7 though. To me the C8 reminds me of a civic type r. There is no denying the 'value' of the car, but it just is not a car that brings out any emotion. Kind of like a new NSX. Cool car and great display of tech, but no one cares about them except for their owners who all are stuck in their minds that their car is the best. C8 owners are the worst. (at least the ones that are not wearing new balances and getting their wheels chromed) I really wanted to like it, but I just dont. Not a snobby thing at all, I just hate the car.

I am familiar with car stuff. I have kinda gone off the wagon into cars with my son being my primary motivator. I used to be into helicopters for a long time and really did not care about cars since (for me flying helos is 100x the fun of cars) but lots of factors came into play and my son has really got me excited about cars again and cars (even supercars) are a hell of a lot cheaper than helos. Below is a pic of my last 'ride' that flew, but although I could probably 'afford' a helo still, there is just no way for me to justify it. Maybe when the kids are out of the house but for now, I am having fun (and lots of it) with car stuff. The costs of ownership and upkeep of an aircraft were a lot, and at one time it was not a big deal for me. But I live a lot simpler life these days and I dont have the businesses nor the employees (nor the headaches) I used to have.

I went through a few cars and settled on my current car. It is a 850+hp AWD VF Supercharged Huracan. Sure it is not the fastest car, but it a great street car. 0-60 2.3 sec, 0-100 in 4.9 and 9.9 quarter. Basically faster than a Hyabusa and in a street car so hard to argue with that. It is not a great 1/4 mile car since the AWD is just too much drag and there are other cars that will take it. But on the street and non prepared surfaces there is not much that can match this car. I have a buddy with a UGR 1400HP stage 3 huracan and on the street there is almost no difference. On a 1/2 mile, he would crush me, but he has 175k in mods and I have 80k.

I have thought about spec'ing a new STO But I am spending another 100+k for a car which in the end, will not be as fast. My car is kind of a nice sleeper. It is clean and I really enjoy it.

I am getting my car out on the track later this month. (was supposed to go the 9th but got rained out). 2.3 mile road course. What really prompted me to do it is I can let my son drive as well. He is 14 and how cool and what an experience to share with my son. I have to say I am a little nervous to not 'bend' the car. It is a lot of car and insurance does not cover you on the track and Hagatery will not write a track day policy that will cover the value of the car. But I am just going to go out and have fun. The group of guys I hang are pretty experienced. One guy even tested with Williams F1 team. So I think it is safe to say he knows how to drive. He is brining out his radical (the orange car in the pic). My buddy with the SVJ is tracking his car as well so that will be cool to see. He also has a GT2rs and a few GTR's and a performante...etc. So yea, most of these guys are car nuts. He is contemplating a koenigsegg Regera which I would take over a SSC all day long. His is the garage pic I posted with some of his toys.

At the end of the day the car stuff is a lot of fun and I am really having a great time with it. My daughter drove me to a car meet this morning. Sharing this stuff with my kids is the most fun! Some pics of my car and my sons kart...both prepared for the track too!

TSvl91L.jpg

3GQhirO.jpg

oNn8CmG.jpg

DQwHyEo.jpg

c9C4lt8.jpg

L8eQfc5.jpg

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
@ItalianMuscle You will like this. I was at a meet and these bike guys were all eyeballing me (in a fun way). When I left, they followed me out. The guy who wanted to roll on my had a modded GSXR 1000. I dont think he believed me when I was telling him how hard the car could pull. His buddy sent me the vid later which I thought was cool. You can even see the car 'squat' even from a 50+ roll. Was fun to see from the outside.

I think he was a little shocked. I let off but was a full length ahead of him. Those guys ride nuts in traffic and I was not gonna do that. Just having a little fun within reason. My only issue with the car is pretty much you can only enjoy it for very short periods!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
My wife's new toy.

Looks like fun....but first thing I thought is oh no....black cars and gravel drives! ;) I have given up the 'black' car thing a while back!

This weekend was a few car meets. My buddy brought out his 69 camaro. This car is spotless. It has never seen a drop of rain and is just about perfect. It is tastefully modded and just a cleeeean car!

CaIjQpl.jpg

4HJ1RiQ.jpg

Ccq9sef.jpg

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Looks like fun....but first thing I thought is oh no....black cars and gravel drives! ;) I have given up the 'black' car thing a while back!

This weekend was a few car meets. My buddy brought out his 69 camaro. This car is spotless. It has never seen a drop of rain and is just about perfect. It is tastefully modded and just a cleeeean car!

CaIjQpl.jpg

4HJ1RiQ.jpg

Ccq9sef.jpg

SWEETTTTTTTT!!!!!!....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic