Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Any athletes here with Primary AD?

LadySparten

LadySparten

Jul 12, 2015
After many years of being very ill. I was diagnosed with Primary Addison's disease (means my adrenals are damaged and through no fault of my own. Although they are investigating the exact cause it means I got the crappy throw of the dice and my autoimmune system has attacked my adrenal system and now it ceases to function) this April. It's a life threatening illness and has hospitalized me several times from suffering repeated addison adreanal crises till they finally did the right blood test to diagnose it. I am on HydroCortisone and FludroCortisone for life now.

Without going into great detail about it, I wanted to reach out and ask if any of you have an suggestions on reading (this illness is complex and affects everything. Take it easy on me I am new to it), ideas, others that are also athletes that suffer this, additional supplemental ideas, anything.

My (consulting) endo is about to get fired as the more I learn on this more the realize I have been booted out of hospital and left to figure it out. It's a slow learning curve and figuring it all out as it is so unique to each person that suffers it as well as the fact it is a pretty rare illness in the first place there are few actual cases of 'athletes' that can train and compete with this. (a gymnast and a cyclist here and there. it took them about 8 years to get the basics sorted out :( My days are spent fighting my corner and researching this as so far the existance is pretty miserable and disabled. I am 'again' just rehabbing myself out of a wheelchair and can manage 5,000 a day and have to lead a simple day in and out life till I/they figure out the lowest cortsteroid dose I can live on daily. Then after that you factor in training, stress, travel and so on and have to take more depending on a host of other variables and its a daily science. You do a little more than you should. You feel it like a mack truck (the pain is something else) or your in an ambulance on the way to the your next billing at the ER. Groans.

Prior to this diagnosis I was a figure competitor and spent many of my days training in power lifting, oly lifting and so much more before the episodes of illness became more permanent stays in a wheel chair and my clinging to any muscle I had left as I just got weaker and weaker. Now; I'm a blimp in my bed that's working on collecting bits for her home gym and can do a few sets with a pvc pipe and a resistance band. Go me! Seriously this is progress from a girl that lost so much of her VMO going for a poop was a struggle lmfao!

So my friends in training and iron. I see many of you seem well versed in many areas. I am looking forward to any suggestions or info you may have. Much thanks.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm sorry for your illness. Let me do so research and I will get back to you.

Stay strong

LadySparten

LadySparten

Jul 12, 2015
That means a great deal. Thanks ever soooo much!! :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic