Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

any 800 pound pullers here?

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I'm looking for advice training the deadlift. Easily pulling lows 6's and still making progress, however it is starting to stall. Looking for some advice from guys pulling upwards of 700-800 pounds or more on smart deadlift training. Any advice appreciated!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Well that wouldn't be me.

What have you been doing so far to get you where you are?

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I'm looking for advice training the deadlift. Easily pulling lows 6's and still making progress, however it is starting to stall. Looking for some advice from guys pulling upwards of 700-800 pounds or more on smart deadlift training. Any advice appreciated!

Super2man what does your current deadlift training look like? Are you doing partials, rack pulls, using chains or bands?

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Double/triple banded pulls, box dl's heavy squats, heavy gm's. But mostly speed work in the 2-6 rep range not many singles

blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
KInd of hard to tell what you are doing really, but how is your squat training going? Do you pull conventional or sumo? Where do you miss?

- Speed work should be 1-3 reps tops.
- I like rep work against bands in the rack sets of 5
- Pull heavy every three weeks or so.
- Squat for Reps seems to help my pull and get me bigger.

I do something similar to Bradon Lilly's cube for my deadlift. One week speed, one week reps, one week heavy, repeat.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I hit 715 x 3 raw before my injury, don't know what I could have pulled if I went suited as I'm not an equipped lifter. For me the major sticking point was 680 onwards. I recommend grabbing Brad Gillingham's deadlift DVD, Like me he uses hook grip which was refreshing. What sold me on his methods was when I tried the rack pull distance progression which really helped get over my sticking points in the pull. My advice, get the DVD and follow the program. I don't hear about it much but have done it myself and for me it works but be warned it is taxing to the CNS which is part of why he doesn't do DL until he's doing meet prep.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the advice fellas, I was going to compete at the upcoming spf but I think I'm going to skip it my numbers aren't where they need to be to win. I'm going to go ahead and order that dvd, sorry I couldn't be anymore descriptive I am on my cell phone! I always pull conventional but I do sumo deadlift work.

Last edited:
blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
Thanks for the advice fellas, I was going to compete at the upcoming spf but I think I'm going to skip it my numbers aren't where they need to be to win. I'm going to go ahead and order that dvd, sorry I couldn't be anymore descriptive I am on my cell phone! I always pull conventional but I do sumo deadlift work.
Have you ever done a meet before? The reason I ask is the number one excuse I hear from people who are thinking about doing there first competition is that their numbers are not where they need to be. Let me tell you something. THEY NEVER ARE! There is always more weight to put on the bar.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Yes, I have done meets before, 2 reasons I don't want to compete right now. My brother in law ran over my foot while I was pulling his drunk butt out of the drivers seat of his jeep. And I have a pretty bad tricep injury that is hindering my bench training, I can pull and squat somewhat heavy on my foot but I have not gone near a max effort and some days at work the 2 outermost metatarsals really hurt like a small fracture. I have not had it looked it but I have broken my foot before it is a similar feeling. The swelling has subsided...

blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
Yes, I have done meets before, 2 reasons I don't want to compete right now. My brother in law ran over my foot while I was pulling his drunk butt out of the drivers seat of his jeep. And I have a pretty bad tricep injury that is hindering my bench training, I can pull and squat somewhat heavy on my foot but I have not gone near a max effort and some days at work the 2 outermost metatarsals really hurt like a small fracture. I have not had it looked it but I have broken my foot before it is a similar feeling. The swelling has subsided...

HAHA, fair enough!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'm working on it now. Mid 7's in a meet and I've had ( in a meet) a 3rd attempt of 830 to the knees before stalling. ( I wanted a 2500+ total and had already won on my 2nd attempt) And over 700 raw with no belt.

I pull conventional, but I work with a few pullers over 8 conv and one who has gone 9+ sumo in the gym and high 8's in a meet..... so even though I'm not a monster puller yet, I can draw on some experience from guys way better than me.

My training is set up to beat the hell out of the lift for two weeks, rest, pull heavy, then rest, and repeat.

One week could be speed pulls from the floor after squatting Sat, then heavy work in the rack from pin#2 against heavy band tension on Sunday.
Week two is deficit pulls for doubles, band work from the floor after squatting on Sat, then heavy rack work above the knees on Sunday with some heavy kettlebell swings and front squats.
Week three is just a few sets of light singles
Week four is heavy singles to a max.
Rest a week and repeat....

A lot of this depends on how I'm pushing the other lifts though. I might go an extra week or two between cycles of this if I want to push my squat more.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Yes, I have done meets before, 2 reasons I don't want to compete right now. My brother in law ran over my foot while I was pulling his drunk butt out of the drivers seat of his jeep.

Ah yes... the dumbass brother in law. We all have one bro!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic