Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Another POS protesting the flag at Olympic trials.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hong Kong used to have a lot of freedom, but that was years ago when it was a commonwealth of the UK. Today... it's China "light."

So much of Europe considers themselves "free", but don't have a lot of say over many areas of their life. I do quite a bit of work in Germany, and I find it interesting how deferential the citizens are to what I deem to be crazy decisions by their government. Very intelligent people look at me with a straight face and say, "well, the government has decided that's best..." The confidence (misplaced IMO) that Europeans have in their governments (with respect to their competence or scruples) is absolutely bizarre.

Go into any business in Germany, and you're walking around in the dark, as electricity rates are so high for companies that no has the lights on. Modern Germany is literally walking around in the dark because their government raised coal, gas and nuclear powered electricity by 4X so that solar and wind alternatives would be competitive. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Germany is phasing out their nuclear power reactors because of a tsunami in Fukushima! When's the last time Germany has been hit by a tsunami???? And how many nuclear reactors are built on the German coastline? (zero) They are intentionally killing their clean power capabilities and bringing in unreliable, expensive renewables while they know they can't replace the lost energy, and then importing their needed gas from Russia? On purpose!!! What could possibly go wrong???? And the German people simply nod their head and say, "yes sir." The most predictable, slow motion disaster in the history of Germany, and everyone just sits their and watches it happen. Self-inflicted civilizational suicide.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Hong Kong used to have a lot of freedom, but that was years ago when it was a commonwealth of the UK. Today... it's China "light."

So much of Europe considers themselves "free", but don't have a lot of say over many areas of their life. I do quite a bit of work in Germany, and I find it interesting how deferential the citizens are to what I deem to be crazy decisions by their government. Very intelligent people look at me with a straight face and say, "well, the government has decided that's best..." The confidence (misplaced IMO) that Europeans have in their governments (with respect to their competence or scruples) is absolutely bizarre.

Go into any business in Germany, and you're walking around in the dark, as electricity rates are so high for companies that no has the lights on. Modern Germany is literally walking around in the dark because their government raised coal, gas and nuclear powered electricity by 4X so that solar and wind alternatives would be competitive. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Germany is phasing out their nuclear power reactors because of a tsunami in Fukushima! When's the last time Germany has been hit by a tsunami???? And how many nuclear reactors are built on the German coastline? (zero) They are intentionally killing their clean power capabilities and bringing in unreliable, expensive renewables while they know they can't replace the lost energy, and then importing their needed gas from Russia? On purpose!!! What could possibly go wrong???? And the German people simply nod their head and say, "yes sir." The most predictable, slow motion disaster in the history of Germany, and everyone just sits their and watches it happen. Self-inflicted civilizational suicide.

I suppose it’s region/section dependent so far as any one particular mindset in Germany just as it varies regionally throughout the states, and likely most any country you throw a dart at on a world map.
Germany happens to be one of my favorite and all time best overall experiences each time I’ve visited. I’m most familiar with and giving props to the Bavarian region (and subculture) in particular.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Germany happens to be one of my favorite and all time best overall experiences each time I’ve visited. I’m most familiar with and giving props to the Bavarian region (and subculture) in particular.

I won't argue with what you're saying here! Germany is quite beautiful, and while I find some German thinking strange, I really like the people! Bavaria is so beautiful and the people are happy, kind people. I do a good bit of biz in Munich, but haven't been there since Feb. 2020 right before the pandemic hit.

Another great region you might like is the town of Beilstein right on the Mosel river in their white wine country. The Mosel river branches off of the Rhine right at Koblenz, and you take it down to Cochem, and about 5-10 kilometers past is Beilstein. A village that comes right out of a 300 year old Disney storybook! LOL The white wine vinyards along the Mosel are believed to be some of the steepest in the world, with an incline of about 45 degrees!

Stay at the Haus Lipmann! Nothing like drinking grappa on the balcony overlooking the river in late September/early October when the leaves are starting to change!!

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I won't argue with what you're saying here! Germany is quite beautiful, and while I find some German thinking strange, I really like the people! Bavaria is so beautiful and the people are happy, kind people. I do a good bit of biz in Munich, but haven't been there since Feb. 2020 right before the pandemic hit.

Another great region you might like is the town of Beilstein right on the Mosel river in their white wine country. The Mosel river branches off of the Rhine right at Koblenz, and you take it down to Cochem, and about 5-10 kilometers past is Beilstein. A village that comes right out of a 300 year old Disney storybook! LOL The white wine vinyards along the Mosel are believed to be some of the steepest in the world, with an incline of about 45 degrees!

Stay at the Haus Lipmann! Nothing like drinking grappa on the balcony overlooking the river in late September/early October when the leaves are starting to change!!

Not the first I’ve heart positive mention of Beilstein, and it sounds and looks very much what appeals to me.
Closest proximity I’ve come to it — and very different, are Bonn and Frankfurt.
I appreciate the mention, and the description you shared of your experience in Germany mimics that of my own. They truly are a happy, friendly, content and dignified people for the greater part.

My travels have been curtailed by the plandemic and the many circus hoops required to jump through in order to travel now. I’m hoping things lighten up rather than escalating or even becoming a new norm. I’ve not visited my daughter for many years who lives in Russia (and turns 11 years old today there, Wednesday).
I’m anxious to visit her as well as do another extended visit to my favorite places throughout Western Europe.

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
The Olympics are going on?

The ones protesting need to keep a mask on tight and breathe in more carbon dioxide - which they claim is killing the planet - but gleefully wear a mask as a carbon dioxide rebreathing apparatus.

There is a global IQ test going on right now. IQ...not book smarts or GPA's. Common sense is being tested. It would be fun if it weren't so ridiculous and dangerous.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Not the first I’ve heart positive mention of Beilstein, and it sounds and looks very much what appeals to me.
Closest proximity I’ve come to it — and very different, are Bonn and Frankfurt.
I appreciate the mention, and the description you shared of your experience in Germany mimics that of my own. They truly are a happy, friendly, content and dignified people for the greater part.

My travels have been curtailed by the plandemic and the many circus hoops required to jump through in order to travel now. I’m hoping things lighten up rather than escalating or even becoming a new norm. I’ve not visited my daughter for many years who lives in Russia (and turns 11 years old today there, Wednesday).
I’m anxious to visit her as well as do another extended visit to my favorite places throughout Western Europe.

I absolutely hate traveling too. Every time I am the one they pick out of line to empty out all of my carry on crap and almost disrobe. I know damn well I don't look like a friggin' terrorist. After I had knee surgery (1 week after) I was on crutches, knee brace and still a bandage. I had to give them my crutches, take off the brace and the bandage. I wanted to beat them with a crutch. I guess it let's fuck with the big guy time. TSA probably laughs about it later.

Russia a NICE place. I traveled to a powerlifting meet there in 2001. Other than the cold and snow, I enjoyed my trip. Sochi would be a nice place to live.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
The Mosel river branches off of the Rhine right at Koblenz, and you take it down to Cochem, and about 5-10 kilometers past is Beilstein. A village that comes right out of a 300 year old Disney storybook! LOL The white wine vinyards along the Mosel are believed to be some of the steepest in the world, with an incline of about 45 degrees!
I worked in Mayen, Germany (near Koblenz) a few years back and really liked the Rhine and Mosel River Valleys, Cochem, etc. and the people were great people. But that doesn't change that the government is overbearing (19% VAT???) and its way too expensive to drive around like we do in the US.

I daytripped to Frankfurt and saw Roman ruins, a cathedral, and other sites and asked a coworker if he goes there often then almost fell over when he said "once when I was a kid". In American terms its not that far away! (2 hr drive) But for a normal family the gas prices are just too high.
Cochem.jpg

Last edited:
testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I worked in Mayen, Germany (near Koblenz) a few years back and really liked the Rhine and Mosel River Valleys, Cochem, etc. and the people were great people. But that doesn't change that the government is overbearing (19% VAT???) and its way too expensive to drive around like we do in the US.

I daytripped to Frankfurt and saw Roman ruins, a cathedral, and other sites and asked a coworker if he goes there often then almost fell over when he said "once when I was a kid". In American terms its not that far away! (2 hr drive) But for a normal family the gas prices are just too high.
View attachment 11635

But… they have a developed railway system that’s very convenient. I like seeing all the bicycles at train stations / stops there.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

This almost 20% VAT is common in the EU. But there are about 140 countries world wide that also have this tax. The same overbearing government is common in the EU, New Zealand, Australia and especially Canada.

Panama is a nice relatively inexpensive place to live. Beautiful country but the narco business kind of runs rampant.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
But… they have a developed railway system that’s very convenient. I like seeing all the bicycles at train stations / stops there.
American's love their freedom, and personal cars are a part of that. The (what you think is convenient, but isn't) rail system and bicycle lanes wider than car lanes works for people who are fine with letting the government think for them.

When I was working in Mayen some friends took a train to Cologne for Carnival because the city was packed. And took the car all the other times. No ones putting up with the inconvenience and the not-that-cheap train ticket.

A friend of mine lives in Dresden and rides his bike to the train, puts it on the train and rides, gets off and bikes the rest of the way to work. Nice for him. I would literally kill someone if I was forced to do that.

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Panama is a nice relatively inexpensive place to live. Beautiful country but the narco business kind of runs rampant.

We can go in and literally STOP countries, including wiping out their ENTIRE FAMILY, from operating, yet, nobody can STOP the blood-thirsty cartels!....What gives, ST?...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic