Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Another man dies in bench press accident (vid)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't know why people opt for the suicide grip. You can press more by squeezing the bar as hard as possible. Create that tension. Most opt for an "easier" set-up because it's easier... not because it's better.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I think a lot of people use suicide grip to beable to tuck there elbows better thus taking more pressure off the shoulders. thinkg is ive had less shoulder inj using a full grip and focusing on a good elbow tuck.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Taking a blow to the chest can kill you. People get hit with a baseball and have been killed. Freak accidents happen has somewhat to do with how much air in your lungs (chest expanded or not) the timing of your heart beating and of course speed or in this case weight of the hit.

I remember reading on this years ago but crazy to see it happen.

I use a false grip on BP I can't wrap my thumb around the bar to to mobility issue from bad arthritis in my hands. If I go heavy I get a spot.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Here's the question- why bench at all? If the goal of benching is for a big chest, then choose a different exercise. Let's be very honest here, when MOST guys bench they do so like this....
- elbows tucked in

With the elbows tucked what is really getting worked? A lot of anterior deltoid and triceps... they bench like a hybrid close-grip bench press.

"But that's how powerlifters bench" -Right, powerlifters, they have different goals.
"But lots of guys with a big chest bench like that." Right, and they do a lot of ancillary exercises as well (flys, incline press, crossovers, pec deck).

what to do? Couple options...
- drop the ego and lessen the load, bring elbows out (perpendicular to the body), stop upper arms parallel to the floor (essentially making a "box" with your arms).

- Perform the same manner as above but with pushups... need more weight, get under a smith machine, roll back the bar, and have it rest on your upper back/rhomboids

- Do declines in same manner... EMG studies show declines work the pectoralis better than the bench (ever see the chest on a male gymnast doing an iron-cross?)

If you do the pushups as described I bet you'll feel your chest like you haven't in a long long time.

I haven't done a bench press in more years than I can remember and my chest isn't suffering. I'm not some "huge mother" mind you, not pretending to be.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
Shocking, he looked like he was going to be alright.

when his reps became improper most of you guys would have hung up the bar instead of getting a few more improper reps. it would have saved his life.

I remember Shawn Ray saying deep dumbbell presses on the bench worked great for him, but besides that the flat bench was worthless for Chest development, anyone else remember Shawn Ray ? he retired almost 20 years ago.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Shocking, he looked like he was going to be alright.

when his reps became improper most of you guys would have hung up the bar instead of getting a few more improper reps. it would have saved his life.

I remember Shawn Ray saying deep dumbbell presses on the bench worked great for him, but besides that the flat bench was worthless for Chest development, anyone else remember Shawn Ray ? he retired almost 20 years ago.

...and now, he doesn't look like he was ever a bodybuilder.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
Bench jacket? But in the OP he said it wasn't even 200 bills?!? Odd...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic