Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Another man dies in bench press accident (vid)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have heard all the time guys with many years , even decades in the gym using thumbless and no issues.

I used to not give them crap. But then about 6 years ago, I was working out at my old powerlifting place. A guy my age, with 20+ years in the gym asked me for a spot. He was a BIG bencher. Incline 405 for reps type big bencher. Also ALWAYS used suicide grip.

He was doing some slow strict reps with 365 so it was 'light' for him. He really did not ask for a spot, but rather a lift off. He was strict about keeping his shoulders tight and always got a lift off over 315. I hung around just because it is kind of bro code.

On about the 7th rep (this guy was not even tired yet), the bar rolled out of his hand at about the top 3/4 position. I had zero time to react and it slammed his chest. He was a solid guy, but you could tell it scared him (and me). He was ok and I hung out with him and watched him for any signs of distress. He was VERY lucky.

He never figured out what happened. He said it felt just like any other bench set to him....until it just dropped. He made the switch to conventional grip after that. When I would go in the gym and see him working out alone, often he would be benching off the floor doing floor presses. He said he was working the different range of motion, but I know that fall left an impression on him....Literally!

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I thought the same thing. I never understood why guys don't use a full grip. God gave you opposable thumbs for a reason.

I use the open palm grip but it's weight I've been doing for dozens of years.....although the higher I go in weight (during cycle) I will opt for the safer GI Joe Kung-Fu (closed-palm) grip.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Ban thumbless grips!
Ban benching!
Ban gyms!
Ban weightlifting!
If we save just one life, it will be worth it....
(sarcasm)

I feel for the guy and his family. But tragic accidents are what they are, tragic and accidents.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
thumb less grip is 100% dumb
it has no benefit at least none that is significant.

I still think he just fainted.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
thumb less grip is 100% dumb
it has no benefit at least none that is significant.

I still think he just fainted.
Agreed on thumbless grip...asking for trouble

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Looks like it would be equivalent to an "heart" punch...Those can be deadly...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I use both...The reason I switch is due to cramping...My thumb(s) will cramp at times, that's when I switch...However, when I go heavy, I always used my thumbs...

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I use both...The reason I switch is due to cramping...My thumb(s) will cramp at times, that's when I switch...However, when I go heavy, I always used my thumbs...
My buddy used to no thumb grip on flat bench, then he got wrist wraps like used for deadlifts and always wrapped up bar...doubt it would have stopped a chest crush

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
My buddy used to no thumb grip on flat bench, then he got wrist wraps like used for deadlifts and always wrapped up bar...doubt it would have stopped a chest crush

BR, I'm contemplating on using gloves and wraps (pretty much wrap all major joints)...I used to do that when I was powerlifting...I'm so lazy now, that I pure out don't do it...If I continue to lift, I will have to start it again...The pain is getting unrelentless!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Wow crazy but this is such a rare tragic thing .

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Dumbbells when working solo.....scary stuff. But that suicide grip has hurt alot of people. No shame in getting a spot.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
That was a guy in Japan, he was drunk and walked away. Amazing where people take things before having all video/ facts. Surely a panel of law professor could convince morons he committed a crime.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic