Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Another man dies in bench press accident (vid)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Saw this. Guy at a big gym benching by himself. Looks like he is there very early. Does not even look like a ton of weight. Maybe 185?. Anyway, drops it and the stands up to "brush it off" and collapses and dies......

Link takes you to vid. Disturbing to watch, but I watched as a reminder that you never do really know and play it safe when working out alone.

https://generationiron.com/man-dies-bench-press/

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Wow, doesn't even look like it came down that hard.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
seems fake...
idk how internal injuries that severe would allow you to roll off and stand up fine before death...
more likely he fainted and some asshole posted it as death.
Maybe Im wrong but i cant figure the physiology of it being fatal

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I hesitated watching this and never watch any of those gym fail videos because I find no humor in them. This one I had to see.

5 years ago I blew out my pec while benching and it was like kicking a leg out from a table. 350 crashed down on me and added bruised ribs to a my pec rupture. I lift alone but had someone there when my pec blew out.

Here's something I learned from my incident with regard to a false sense of security.

1. It's a freak accident. No it's not. You play with the big weights and the chance of something happening that's real bad goes up exponentially.
2. Keep your reps up. Well I crushed that 350 for 5 easy ones the week before and was going for 6. Made it 1 1/2 that day.
3. Always have a spotter. There's no way on God's green earth the fasted spotter is going to react to a complete blowout. There's also no way even the biggest guy is going to be able to pull as little as 225 away from you until after the damage is done.

Be safe my friends and say a prayer for this guy.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
seems fake...
idk how internal injuries that severe would allow you to roll off and stand up fine before death...
more likely he fainted and some asshole posted it as death.
Maybe Im wrong but i cant figure the physiology of it being fatal

There have been people die of getting hit in chest with baseballs, hockey pucks...etc. If he did die, my guess is it knocked his heart out of rythm and it stopped. Just enough time to stand-up...

I have seen much worse looking vids where guys have died later from internal injuries, but this does not appear to be a bleeding out internally injury. But who knows....ruptured aorta and I am sure you are going down pretty quickly.

Needless to say it is a sobering reminder. Even 225 which is probably very light to most of us, can kill. (probably lighter).

@The other Snake . I too had a similar scare. Never once strained my pec in almost 20 years. I took some time off benching after a shoulder injury. Before stopping, 315 was usually a set of 12 for me. I came back after my shoulder got better and over 2 or 3 weeks I went back up to 315 using VERY slow paused movements. On the 3rd rep, my pec pulled. I was only about 1/2" into the press and dropped it to my chest IMMEDIATELY. If I tried to power it up, my guess is I would have had a pec tear.

I was in a crowed gym, but truthfully I was afraid to ask for help since I knew I would have to press a lot of the weight to re-rack since most people cant really row 315 like that. So I calmly rolled it down my stomach onto my groin. I then sat up and stood up so I was just holding the weight and lowered it to the floor. I stayed calm the entire time and it turned out to be no big deal.

That evening, I had some swelling but no bruising. I stayed light for about a month and went back to benching. I was at home working out. I bench at home inside a rack with the safeties set to about 1/2" below my chest. Working back to get confidence in my chest, I was doing 225 speed reps. On my 3rd rep, my pec pulled AGAIN!. I just dropped it to the safeties. Again, I did not try to push on. I was super happy I was benching in my squat rack!

That whole episode was aprox a year ago. I have been working light since, and much more dumbbell work. Last week I went back up to 225 flat bench using super strict and slow pressing. But I am going to go VERY slow back. I dodged a bullet twice, and like you I realized how quickly it can come on. Prior to that I would have said my chest was bullet proof....but now I know better that it really can be anytime and not always with maximal weights!

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think he got up to quick and the fact that the weight thrust pressure to his heart and the sudden elevation change. Initially, he heart was planar to the rest of his body and with the sudden impact and thrust, couples with the sudden redistribution of blood pressure is pro'ly what done him in. He also pro'ly could have punctured his aorta with a broken rib. rest his soul.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I hesitated watching this and never watch any of those gym fail videos because I find no humor in them. This one I had to see.

5 years ago I blew out my pec while benching and it was like kicking a leg out from a table. 350 crashed down on me and added bruised ribs to a my pec rupture. I lift alone but had someone there when my pec blew out.

Here's something I learned from my incident with regard to a false sense of security.

1. It's a freak accident. No it's not. You play with the big weights and the chance of something happening that's real bad goes up exponentially.
2. Keep your reps up. Well I crushed that 350 for 5 easy ones the week before and was going for 6. Made it 1 1/2 that day.
3. Always have a spotter. There's no way on God's green earth the fasted spotter is going to react to a complete blowout. There's also no way even the biggest guy is going to be able to pull as little as 225 away from you until after the damage is done.

Be safe my friends and say a prayer for this guy.

If you go big, make sure you have a big dude spotting you.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
If you can't handle 185 maybe you should consider a Smith machine, not being disrespectful just saying.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic