Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Another DOMS Thread!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've been thru as many posts as I can related to Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) here at TID. There is one question that pops in my head every now and again, and I've researched it quite a bit... Can't come up with an actual answer. So wondering what the consensus is here...

Can growth occur in the absence of DOMS??? To put it another way, is the fact that I can't even sit on the toilet without being in a pretty awesome level of pain a sign that I had a great workout or did too much? If I don't work to the point of DOMS, will the muscle still grow?

Let me know your thoughts. And for the record I am not trying to avoid DOMS cause I love it... I friggin relish every second of it... Pain is my only Pleasure >:)

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Simple answer, yes.

I had a book somewhere that went into detail on it. But the perceived level of pain doesn't have a direct correlation on the amount of growth.

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
DOMS is most definitely NOT the indicator of progress or growth.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
what wolf said. muscle can still grow and get stronger without doing the extensive amount of damage that leads to DOMS. and just because someone gets DOMS doesnt necessarily mean that they are going to grow or get stronger. there is much involved and ones nutrition is a very big part of ones growing

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
what wolf said. muscle can still grow and get stronger without doing the extensive amount of damage that leads to DOMS. and just because someone gets DOMS doesnt necessarily mean that they are going to grow or get stronger. there is much involved and ones nutrition is a very big part of ones growing

Nutrition is key for sure... But I wonder how do you know that you've given your body the level of stimuli needed to cause it to use the pounds of chicken I'm eating to good use? I guess trial and error is the only way lol...

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Well, if you are getting stronger, larger, quicker, more explosive, recover easier between sets, you are doing what you need to do. I can't find the book right now but from what I remember is DOMS is thought to be caused by inflammation of the muscle exciting the nerves around the muscle. It's very possible to have identical levels of inflammation in the muscle during two separate sessions and not experience the same level of DOMS. Nerves will become desensitized.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I have NEVER had DOMS in my delts... not one time in 3 years, but they are my best, most developed bodypart.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
never heard the nerve theory before but there are many theories out there on DOMS and no real right answers. i suppose it is like many things and it has more than one answer depending on the muscle, the person, the workout etc etc etc.

if you really want to grow, spend some time learning your nutritional requirements. just saying you are throwing down pounds and pounds of chicken isnt always enough :D

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
if you really want to grow, spend some time learning your nutritional requirements. just saying you are throwing down pounds and pounds of chicken isnt always enough :D
ouch.........

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
ouch.........

it wasnt meant to be an ouch! :p but seriously, one cant grow muscle if it doesnt have the nutrients and the energy to repair itself and grow. and unless one has sat down and actually spent some time calculating out their requirements, how do you know? he has increased his caloric intake from a couple thousand to four thousand. what did he base that increase on? is he keeping track of his macros? what is his basal metabolic requirement without AAS and with AAS? how much protein is he intaking vs carbs and fat?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
it was still funny :p

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I was actually just asking because its something I've been curious about for a while... I'm growing and my diet is good for growth. I keep food logs of everything that goes in my mouth and the macro breakdowns are calculated... Not a difficult task in this day and age. There are countless calculators, databases etc online.

Let me try and reword my last post - This isn't about recovery, this is about training. How much volume is enough and is DOMS a signal of anything. I think Wolf has answered that question to a reasonable enough degree.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic