CptnProton
What's New?

Anonymous confessions of a different kind of guy

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Jay, please take this advice.

Aim to get as big as you can. Not fat but muscle. Dont be afraid you are not going to just wake up looking huge.

It's not easy. Somewhere along that journey, you will look in the mirror and say ok I have enough mass. (That day will never come btw)

Dont be afraid to eat and dont be afraid to lift heavy weight without hurting yourself.

J

jay_victor

Jan 6, 2019
Jay, please take this advice.

Aim to get as big as you can. Not fat but muscle. Dont be afraid you are not going to just wake up looking huge.

It's not easy. Somewhere along that journey, you will look in the mirror and say ok I have enough mass. (That day will never come btw)

Dont be afraid to eat and dont be afraid to lift heavy weight without hurting yourself.
Sounds like good advice. Seems a bit far away right now, so getting to 2x body weight squat would be a start. It's not that I'm afraid of getting really big, but from where I'm sitting now, I am not shooting for it. Things might change, but I would be happy with a more athletic look. Mostly I want to get strong and stay strong until I'm old.

I'm hitting my 1g/lb of protein and not holding back on food at all, just eating in an 8 hour window. I know most of you think that won't work, but I'm going to try. I am aware it will be slower, but that's ok. Like I said before, if it fails I can always eat humble pie and admit you were all right. I'll tell you what I'll give it 6 months - in the diary. July 10th 2019: Report back on 16:8 training progress. If I don't get to 2x body weight and 10 pull ups it's a fail.

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
One other thing: remind yourself that especially in bodybuilding, weight lifted is fairly relative. In bodybuilding, we don't concentrate on moving a certain weight from one location to another only. We're concerned with targeted perceived work.

Some people get caught up in how much weight they're "doing." What does that really mean if our form isn't impeccable? Since you're just beginning, I wholeheartedly endorse a "high" rep / "low" weight regimen. This will aid you in avoiding injury and it will allow you to concentrate on every movement and afford it the amount of attention it deserves.

I say all of this because you've made mentioned, a couple of times, about achieving a two-times-bodyweight squat. If you're looking for physique changes mostly or only, I wouldn't focus so much on that type of goal. You'll get there, but what matters most is your form. You'd be surprised how little weight is required to achieve an enormous amount of perceived work.

Breathe and create a mind-muscle connection.

J

jay_victor

Jan 6, 2019
One other thing: remind yourself that especially in bodybuilding, weight lifted is fairly relative. In bodybuilding, we don't concentrate on moving a certain weight from one location to another only. We're concerned with targeted perceived work.

Some people get caught up in how much weight they're "doing." What does that really mean if our form isn't impeccable? Since you're just beginning, I wholeheartedly endorse a "high" rep / "low" weight regimen. This will aid you in avoiding injury and it will allow you to concentrate on every movement and afford it the amount of attention it deserves.

I say all of this because you've made mentioned, a couple of times, about achieving a two-times-bodyweight squat. If you're looking for physique changes mostly or only, I wouldn't focus so much on that type of goal. You'll get there, but what matters most is your form. You'd be surprised how little weight is required to achieve an enormous amount of perceived work.

Breathe and create a mind-muscle connection.
The mind muscle connection is the one I need to work on for sure. I have read about this so many times, but don't do it. I think the other stuff I'm on track with.

This is what it's taken years to realise. My form is really good now, and I have no fears of injury. In the first couple of years I hurt myself thinking I should life a certain weight. Ended up butt winking on the squat and messed up an already weak lower back. Now my lower back is not the weak link it was.

I tend to get to 12 reps at a weight before increasing then dropping down to 6 or 8 reps, and moving forward like that. During the last period of training I found a nice rhythm where I leaving something in the tank on the increment, but found this way I had increases every session. Slow and steady. Absolutely no compromise on form. It's great you have all this experience and you're willing to share and communicated it clearly, thanks.

I talk about benchmarks as something to aim for rather than thinking I should be there in a hurry.

Training this morning was good - feels like the rhythm is back after the first few sessions. I'm going to switch to kilos in the log from now on, being British and all.

Barbell Squat 114
Set 1 : 20x5
Set 2 : 40x8
Set 3 : 60x5
Set 4 : 80x5
Set 5 : 90x8
Set 6 : 80x8
Barbell Seated Press 51
Set 1 : 20x5
Set 2 : 30x5
Set 3 : 40x5
Set 4 : 42.5x6