Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Anderson Silva's leg (gif)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Wow..I often wondered how they can kick like that and never hurt themselves, but that had to hit at just the right angle etc to break it like that. That's also a good gif to see just how elastic our skin is as well.

extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
Why would he be kicking his shin? He aimed low it wasn't even a block. Stupid move on Silvas part.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Why would he be kicking his shin? He aimed low it wasn't even a block. Stupid move on Silvas part.

You've clearly never taken a shin to the tibialis anterior. Highly effective technique and far from stupid.

The thing that makes this unusual is not that a leg kick broke a leg, but that it happened to an experienced fighter. Years and years of kicking heavy bags and pads and other peoples' legs strengthens the bones so this doesn't happen. Those of us that have done Muay Thai know how painful it is as first on the shins, especially when they make you roll them out with wooden or metal dowels. But after about 9 months of consistency, my shins lost most of the feeling and got lumpy/calcified. To this day I don't feel it when stuff hits my shin bone.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Just watched the video after posting the above. There was nothing stupid about the kick. It wasn't to the right leg tibialis anterior as I suspected from your post, extremevet, but it still wasn't stupid. A wrestler who has already proved that he can take you down, has more trouble setting up a shot when you pepper the lead leg. It wasn't to damage muscle tissue, just to keep him from consistently and firmly planting it.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I was wondering the same thing SAD. Years of training should strengthen the bone right?

I've always been told that.

I remember watching on the national geographic channel about the guys who break concrete etc. the people running the test were saying the bone repairs more each time after an impact. So years of it should really make for a strong bone.

Reactions: SAD
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
That is a nasty leg break, you can see the force of that kick with the way his foot kept going.

SAD, had this guy who used to come to my old guy, would be able to give shin kicks to the squat rack, didn't feel a thing it seemed.

extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
Ok you are right I am wrong. That genius kick worked out well for him. Personally kicking in the quads and hamstrings are the smarter way to tire someones legs. As you said they are trained and have killed the nerves in the tibialis anterior so what is the point of kicking it. Just seems to me a waste of a kick and more dangerous than its worth.

Last edited:
extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
It wasn't to damage muscle tissue, just to keep him from consistently and firmly planting it.

If he kicked him hard enough to break his leg I don't think it was just to keep him moving. In boxing you throw a jab to keep them moving not a roundhouse. For him to break his leg like that he had a little more momentum going than just to keep him from planting his leg.

Silva would have hit his knee if he had not lifted it. Not a good kick at all.

Last edited:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Listen guy, you're making yourself look bad so you should probably stop now. You can't deaden the muscle tissue of the tibialis anterior. It's a muscle. When I mentioned the "deadening" I am speaking of the tibia itself. So that's that.

That kick is used effectively everyday and it isn't about damaging muscle tissue, as I've already said. You're having trouble understanding what I mean by that. It isn't aimed at muscle tissue. THAT'S why it wasn't designed to do damage to muscle tissue. It has nothing to do with how hard he turned his hip over. That said, that kick was like 75% power, MAX. If you knew jack-shit about mma or Muay Thai or even kickboxing, you'd know that. Then again, if you knew anything about this stuff, we wouldn't be having this retarded lopsided "debate".

You're wrong bud. You shoulda just left it at that.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic