Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Anavar and antibiotics

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013
I’m a var connoisseur, so I’ve actually been on antibiotics multiple times while running var.

Antibiotics affect gut biome negatively, that’s no secret. It’s also recommended not to drink on antibiotics for multiple reasons.

My experience was that when I took them together, I would get constipated and have some “bubble-gut”. My guess is that I’m constantly on the cusp of a water imbalance with var (full but dry and cramp easily).
Thank you!!!
Logic, yes.

But also experience.

And I’d be willing to be there is a scientific reason for it too, but not a known interaction per se.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Amoxicillin-clavulanate (Includes amoxicillin/clavulanate) ↔ hepatotoxicity
Major Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Liver Disease
The administration of amoxicillin-clavulanate has infrequently been associated with hepatotoxicity such as elevations in serum transaminases, bilirubin, and/or alkaline phosphatase. The histologic findings on liver biopsy have consisted of predominantly cholestatic and/or hepatocellular changes. Symptoms may occur during or several weeks after therapy. The hepatotoxicity is generally reversible, although deaths have been reported on rare occasions, mostly in patients with serious underlying diseases or concomitant use of other medications. Liver enzyme abnormalities have also been observed with the use of amoxicillin or ampicillin alone. According to the manufacturer, therapy with amoxicillin-clavulanate should be administered cautiously in patients with evidence of hepatic dysfunction. Periodic monitoring of liver function is recommended during prolonged therapy. The use of amoxicillin-clavulanate is contraindicated in patients with a history of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction associated with the drug.

References
  1. Ryley NG, Fleming KA, Chapman RWG "Focal destructive cholangiopathy associated with amoxycillin/clavulanic acid (augmentin)." J Hepatol 23 (1995): 278-82
  2. Verhamme M, Ramboer C, Van De Bruaene P, Inderadjaja N "Cholestatic hepatitis due to an amoxycillin/clavulanic acid preparation." J Hepatol 9 (1989): 260-4
  3. Larrey D, Vial T, Micaleff A, et al. "Hepatitis associated with amoxycillin-clavulanic acid combination report of 15 cases." Gut 33 (1992): 368-71
  4. Wong FS, Ryan J, Dabkowski P, Dudley FJ, Sewell RB, Smallwood RA "Augmentin-induced jaundice." Med J Aust 154 (1991): 698-701
  5. Silvain C, Fort E, Levillain P, Labat-Labourdette J, Beauchant M "Granulomatous hepatitis due to combination of amoxacillin and clavulanic acid." Dig Dis Sci 37 (1992): 150-2
  6. Hebbard GS, Smith KG, Gibson PR, Bhathal PS "Augmentin-induced jaundice with a fatal outcome." Med J Aust 156 (1992): 285-6
  7. Garcia Rodriguez LA, Stricker BH, Zimmerman HJ "Risk of acute liver injury associated with the combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid" Arch Intern Med 156 (1996): 1327-32
  8. Habior A, Walewskazielecka B, Butruk E "Hepatocellular-cholestatic liver injury due to amoxycillin-clavulanic acid combination." Clin Investig 72 (1994): 616-8
  9. "Product Information. Augmentin (amoxicillin-clavulanate)." SmithKline Beecham, Philadelphia, PA.
  10. Dowsett JF, Gillow T, Heagerty A, Radcliffe M, Toadi R, Isle I, Russell RC "Amoxycillin/clavulanic acid (augmentin)-induced intrahepatic cholestasis." Dig Dis Sci 34 (1989): 1290-3
  11. Thomson JA, Fairley CK, Ugoni AM, Forbes AB, Purcell PM, Desmond PV, Smallwood RA, Mcneil JJ "Risk factors for the development of amoxycillin-clavulanic acid associated jaundice." Med J Aust 162 (1995): 638-40
  12. Limauro DL, ChanTompkins NH, Carter RW, Brodmerkel GJ, Agrawal RM "Amoxicillin/clavulanate-associated hepatic failure with progression to Stevens-Johnson syndrome." Ann Pharmacother 33 (1999): 560-4
  13. Friess G, Wienbeck M "Cholestatic jaundice after taking amoxicillin and clavulanic acid." Dtsch Med Wochenschr 120 (1995): 1356-60
From drugs.com. Given OX is a C-17 drug in theory it might potentiate the potential for A-C hepatotoxicity given it is cholestatic just like C-17 AAS. IMO, drop the OX until you are off the A-C for about 2 weeks, if you want to be sure, do an on-line lab order for a general chem that includes ALT/AST, if they are normal, then the A-C did not have an effect.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
The administration of amoxicillin-clavulanate has infrequently been associated with hepatotoxicity such as elevations in serum transaminases, bilirubin, and/or alkaline phosphatase. The histologic findings on liver biopsy have consisted of predominantly cholestatic and/or hepatocellular changes. Symptoms may occur during or several weeks after therapy. The hepatotoxicity is generally reversible, although deaths have been reported on rare occasions, mostly in patients with serious underlying diseases or concomitant use of other medications. Liver enzyme abnormalities have also been observed with the use of amoxicillin or ampicillin alone. According to the manufacturer, therapy with amoxicillin-clavulanate should be administered cautiously in patients with evidence of hepatic dysfunction. Periodic monitoring of liver function is recommended during prolonged therapy. The use of amoxicillin-clavulanate is contraindicated in patients with a history of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction associated with the drug.

References
  1. Ryley NG, Fleming KA, Chapman RWG "Focal destructive cholangiopathy associated with amoxycillin/clavulanic acid (augmentin)." J Hepatol 23 (1995): 278-82
  2. Verhamme M, Ramboer C, Van De Bruaene P, Inderadjaja N "Cholestatic hepatitis due to an amoxycillin/clavulanic acid preparation." J Hepatol 9 (1989): 260-4
  3. Larrey D, Vial T, Micaleff A, et al. "Hepatitis associated with amoxycillin-clavulanic acid combination report of 15 cases." Gut 33 (1992): 368-71
  4. Wong FS, Ryan J, Dabkowski P, Dudley FJ, Sewell RB, Smallwood RA "Augmentin-induced jaundice." Med J Aust 154 (1991): 698-701
  5. Silvain C, Fort E, Levillain P, Labat-Labourdette J, Beauchant M "Granulomatous hepatitis due to combination of amoxacillin and clavulanic acid." Dig Dis Sci 37 (1992): 150-2
  6. Hebbard GS, Smith KG, Gibson PR, Bhathal PS "Augmentin-induced jaundice with a fatal outcome." Med J Aust 156 (1992): 285-6
  7. Garcia Rodriguez LA, Stricker BH, Zimmerman HJ "Risk of acute liver injury associated with the combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid" Arch Intern Med 156 (1996): 1327-32
  8. Habior A, Walewskazielecka B, Butruk E "Hepatocellular-cholestatic liver injury due to amoxycillin-clavulanic acid combination." Clin Investig 72 (1994): 616-8
  9. "Product Information. Augmentin (amoxicillin-clavulanate)." SmithKline Beecham, Philadelphia, PA.
  10. Dowsett JF, Gillow T, Heagerty A, Radcliffe M, Toadi R, Isle I, Russell RC "Amoxycillin/clavulanic acid (augmentin)-induced intrahepatic cholestasis." Dig Dis Sci 34 (1989): 1290-3
  11. Thomson JA, Fairley CK, Ugoni AM, Forbes AB, Purcell PM, Desmond PV, Smallwood RA, Mcneil JJ "Risk factors for the development of amoxycillin-clavulanic acid associated jaundice." Med J Aust 162 (1995): 638-40
  12. Limauro DL, ChanTompkins NH, Carter RW, Brodmerkel GJ, Agrawal RM "Amoxicillin/clavulanate-associated hepatic failure with progression to Stevens-Johnson syndrome." Ann Pharmacother 33 (1999): 560-4
  13. Friess G, Wienbeck M "Cholestatic jaundice after taking amoxicillin and clavulanic acid." Dtsch Med Wochenschr 120 (1995): 1356-60
From drugs.com. Given OX is a C-17 drug in theory it might potentiate the potential for A-C hepatotoxicity given it is cholestatic just like C-17 AAS. IMO, drop the OX until you are off the A-C for about 2 weeks, if you want to be sure, do an on-line lab order for a general chem that includes ALT/AST, if they are normal, then the A-C did not have an effect.

If anavar, particularly at female doses, were tough on the liver, I’d agree.

Couple of drinks a night are worse for your liver than 10-20mg of var per day.

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013

References
That’s not good news. I’m off of it as of yesterday.

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
I can speak what I would do if I had injury that has really negative impact of my training. I would go off-cycle and recover from the injury. And after I am fully recovered I would start a new cycle and train hard.
I would focus on conditioning and getting myself back on track.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic