Anabolic androgenic steroids accelerate brain aging

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
Brain imaging reveals long-term effects

March 25, 2021
Source : Elsevier
Summary: Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS), a synthetic version of the male sex hormone testosterone, are sometimes used as a medical treatment for hormone imbalance, and its use is known to have many side effects, ranging from acne to heart problems to increased aggression. A new study now suggests that AAS can also have deleterious effects on the brain, causing it to age prematurely.

Anabolic androgenic steroids (AAS), a synthetic version of the male sex hormone testosterone, are sometimes used as a medical treatment for hormone imbalance. But the vast majority of AAS is used to enhance athletic performance or build muscle because when paired with strength training. AAS use increases muscle mass and strength, and its use is known to have many side effects, ranging from acne to heart problems to increased aggression. A new study now suggests that AAS can also have deleterious effects on the brain, causing it to age prematurely.

The report appears in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.
"Anabolic steroid use has been associated with a range of medical and psychological side effects," said lead author, Astrid Bjørnebekk, PhD, Division of Mental Health and Addiction, Oslo University Hospital, Oslo, Norway. "However, since anabolic steroids have only been in the public domain for about 35 years, we are still in the early phase of appreciating the full scope of effects after prolonged use. The least studied effects are those that relate to the brain."
Steroid hormones readily enter the brain, and receptors for sex hormones are found throughout the brain. Because AAS are administered at much higher doses than those naturally found in the body, they could have a harmful impact on the brain, particularly over a long period of use. Previous studies have shown that AAS users performed worse on cognitive tests than non-users.

Dr. Bjørnebekk and colleagues performed magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brains of 130 male weightlifters with a history of prolonged AAS use and of 99 weightlifters who had never used AAS. Using a set of data compiled from nearly 2,000 healthy males from age 18 to 92 years of age. The researchers used machine learning to determine the predicted brain age of each of their participants and then determined the brain age gap: the difference between each participant's chronological age and their predicted brain age. Advanced brain age is associated with impaired cognitive performance and increased risk for neurodegenerative diseases.

Not surprisingly, AAS users had a bigger brain age gap compared to non-users. Those with dependence on AAS, or with a longer history of use, showed accelerated brain aging. The researchers accounted for use of other substances and for depression in the men, which did not explain the difference between the groups.

"This important study shows in a large sample that use is associated with deviant brain aging, with a potential impact on quality of life in older age. The findings could be directly useful for health care professionals, and may potentially have preventive implications, where brain effects are also included into the risk assessment for young men wondering whether to use anabolic steroids," added Dr. Bjørnebekk.

Cameron Carter, MD, editor of Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, said of the study: "The results of this brain imaging study should be of concern for athletes using anabolic steroids for performance enhancement and suggest that the adverse effects on behavior and cognition previously shown to be associated with long-term use are the result of effects on the brain in the form of accelerated brain aging.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Another study showing self administered AAS use can lead to health problems. They can publish these until hell freezes over, until we look at reasonable dosing, administered by physicians to a population willing to live within a reasonable and prescribed dosing regiment and be studied over the very long term, this doesn't tell us anything more than we already know.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
yes the study is a bit vague and i like to think that i am smarter and have a higher cognitive function since shooting the juice .......if i keep my body young i will keep my brain young.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
yes the study is a bit vague and i like to think that i am smarter and have a higher cognitive function since shooting the juice .......if i keep my body young i will keep my brain young.
Exactly. I'll take my chances.

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
What would be more useful is if we compared aas brain effects vs alcohol or marijuana or cocaine or tobacco. Does it age the brain more or less than other substances.

Slic.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
If these steroid nanny researchers want to do something productive at this point, per my last posting on this, study what we don't know about and help figure out the best way to use these drugs clinically and in low/mod doses for cosmetic enhancement. Studies like this only continue to support draconian legislation, scare docs that use these drugs clinically, stifel further research efforts because of unfounded fears and embolden plaintiff attorneys to go after docs that prescribe them (blame Aunt Ginnies dementia on the course of oxandrolone her doc prescribed for rehab from surgery and sacropenia). They do nothing to stop recreational users from taking them. We know 19-nors are neuro toxic, but at what dose and which one ND or Tren or MENT. We know estrogen is protective, if we crush it what effect does that have independent of anything else. Its not as simple as "take AAS and bad things happen to everyone".

T

txabertheory

Jul 29, 2022
I always knew that messing with chemical supplements would not do you any good. On the other hand, there are so many things that are harming you, according to different scientists, that there can possibly not be a single healthy person.
So, I will just continue exercising the way I did and take my peptides from time to time. Maybe they mess with my mental functions, too, but I don’t notice that, and it is fine so far. I take an online memory test from MemTrax every half a year to ensure my brain is still active. And so far, so good, so I have nothing to worry about.

R

RIR0

Aug 21, 2022
I always knew that messing with chemical supplements would not do you any good. On the other hand, there are so many things that are harming you, according to different scientists, that there can possibly not be a single healthy person.
So, I will just continue exercising the way I did and take my peptides from time to time. Maybe they mess with my mental functions, too, but I don’t notice that, and it is fine so far. I take an online memory test from MemTrax every half a year to ensure my brain is still active. And so far, so good, so I have nothing to worry about.
Apparently that memory test your advertising didn’t help you comprehend a study

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
I just use them to up my solitaire scores

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic