Members
Latest Member
pbtom

An interesting question...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you're on FB you may have read Donnie's idea of dropping the squat bar from meets and using instead the buffalo bar. His reasoning was the straight squat bar causes shoulder issues down the road and mechanically the buffalo bar puts the lifter in a better position to squat the weight.

He made an interesting point in that the DL bar has been changed to aid the lifter in performing the lift. This was done by making the bar thinner, and whippier which translated to bigger numbers put up by competitors.

What do you think?

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
People would adapt. The most important thing is everyone using the same bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
People would adapt. The most important thing is everyone using the same bar.

I'm interested to see how everyone reacts. It seemed most PLers were vehemently against the idea. If the bar really puts the lifter in a better position and is safer for the lifter, I say go for it. Our sport has to always work on advancing and becoming safer/better so the lifts can continue to increase and new records made.

Reactions: 5.0
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I'm interested to see how everyone reacts. It seemed most PLers were vehemently against the idea. If the bar really puts the lifter in a better position and is safer for the lifter, I say go for it. Our sport has to always work on advancing and becoming safer/better so the lifts can continue to increase and new records made.

Agreed, BI. Biggest thing is uniformity. All these damn federations fight with one another for legitimacy, and they tweak the rules for the benefit of being just a bit different than one another. It's so messed up that the three main power movements cannot be uniformly judged so that each lifter gets a fair shake. As a result, records are broken with questionable lifts.

Furthermore, powerlifting is notorious for injury or the potential for long term injuries. If there is a way to prevent these type of injuries, I'm all for it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Agreed, BI. Biggest thing is uniformity. All these damn federations fight with one another for legitimacy, and they tweak the rules for the benefit of being just a bit different than one another. It's so messed up that the three main power movements cannot be uniformly judged so that each lifter gets a fair shake. As a result, records are broken with questionable lifts.

Furthermore, powerlifting is notorious for injury or the potential for long term injuries. If there is a way to prevent these type of injuries, I'm all for it.

That's a gripe of mine... "ALL" the federations. There should only be 2, one tested and one untested.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
That's a gripe of mine... "ALL" the federations. There should only be 2, one tested and one untested.
You got it! Powerlifting is a fairly small part of the fitness industry. It's amazing how many feds there are for the small percentage that powerlift. It seems every time someone gets mad at rules or judging, they start a new fed to suit them. Unification would help so much. If anything, it also is a money maker. Everyone pays dues for their preferred fed. Then they pay entry fees. What is missing, is often the head to head competition of the best lifters in their perspective classes. Get them all together under like conditions and see who comes out on top. Otherwise there is always conflict or someone taking exception to this all-time world record being broke or someone issue with judging. Although, its all of our fault. We allow this to happen. If I am competing, I want to know that my lifts pass and I want to be lifting against the best in the same environment. Politics don't belong in powerlifting.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can already hear the autistic screeches from the USAPL people...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Never used a buffalo bar, but why not?

I know my fed uses thinner whippier bars for deads, but some feds stipulate you must do all three lifts with the same bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Never used a buffalo bar, but why not?

I know my fed uses thinner whippier bars for deads, but some feds stipulate you must do all three lifts with the same bar.

That's the USAPL that uses just 1 bar. All other feds, if I'm not mistaken use a squat, bench, and deadlift bar. At least the ones I've been associated with do.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic