Kiddorism
What's New?

American “Health”

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
America’s health is FUCKED up.
Have a look at this on HEALTHY Life Expectancy: https://www.jeffnobbs.com/posts/tre...zKdH51r4RjaoPfCfwuz-y_cSJRUUl3fNdfb-nmfX_jxww

A46BADB3-C2AE-40D0-B244-35AF91BD5A47.jpeg

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm sure there are many reasons for the silly high costs for health care in the U.S. In my view, at least one of the primary reasons is that it is a fundamentally dislocated market.

Health care is one of the very few markets in which neither the consumer (i.e., the patient) of the goods/services nor the provider (i.e., the healthcare provider) of the goods/services knows the costs of the goods/services. Is there any surprise that costs are out of wack?

Ask your doctor or a nurse what a procedure costs, or what the EKG costs, etc., and in most instances they have no idea. The do know, however, that Judy at the front desk can look it up and Judy will know whether it's covered by your insurance and what code the procedure is under for your particular insurance plan. She likely also doesn't know the cost....

Whenever consumer are not making consumer choices, prices go out of control.

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
You could also take into account the 100k drug overdose deaths per year that the US has now.

and just wait a couple more years from now you can add even more deaths from side effects from the vaccine.
a lot of European soccer players are dropping dead.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I'm sure there are many reasons for the silly high costs for health care in the U.S. In my view, at least one of the primary reasons is that it is a fundamentally dislocated market.

Health care is one of the very few markets in which neither the consumer (i.e., the patient) of the goods/services nor the provider (i.e., the healthcare provider) of the goods/services knows the costs of the goods/services. Is there any surprise that costs are out of wack?

Ask your doctor or a nurse what a procedure costs, or what the EKG costs, etc., and in most instances they have no idea. The do know, however, that Judy at the front desk can look it up and Judy will know whether it's covered by your insurance and what code the procedure is under for your particular insurance plan. She likely also doesn't know the cost....

Whenever consumer are not making consumer choices, prices go out of control.

Not that I disagree, but, said “healthcare” is monopolized, so the patient doesn’t have many (most often none at all) options.
The absolute best healthcare is preventative self care — something Americans in particular are atrocious at.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

Whenever consumer are not making consumer choices, prices go out of control.5

Have u ever wondered why ONE BABY aspirin costs $5.00 in the hospital?...

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011

Right? My last trip to Mexico I loaded up on common pharmaceuticals that I use so I can avoid the surcharge of big pharma.. I bought a bottle of prednisone for what one prescription costs.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
There's really no shocker here. American healthcare is a for-profit system with a primary focus of making money, not patient health. Doctors aren't making decisions for American health care, accountants are.

From what I can tell, the other countries are all single-payer.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011

I chalk it up to the giant building brimming with the most modern technology and the highest paid wage earners in the World.
Summing it up I can see the price as being acceptable, I push a button while laying in a bed and a person making 60-70k per year clicks around on the computer and I get an aspirin brought in too me.
Are things out of whack? YES however the first one to step up and devalue themselves financially should speak the loudest here.
I agree with TB these fatassed sloths need to self care, we mandate seatbelts and helmets and phony assed shots but no mandates for getting your ass off the couch..LOL

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Each month I look at my health care expenses. The provider, Dr., hospital, pharmacy, etc charge far in excess of what the ins. cov. pays with zero expenses to me.
Do you think other countries expenses are lower due to them being able to use treatments like stem cell therapy ?

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Has anyone ever compared what the hospital charges insurance vs what insurance actually paid that hospital?

I will say pharm companies are all about making money and charge as high as they do to make up for all the money they won’t get after generics are offered. Use any drug. Before the generic, 30 would cost around 300-500 dollars. The generic comes out and 30 costs $20. Truly Highway robbery.

As evil as that whole medical field is, it’s very lucrative for those that work in it. You think your making a difference and you’re not complaining by what they pay you either.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Always fun to be in a doctor's ... or medical office building's ... parking lot when the pharmaceutical sales reps are unloading all their sales material from the company car.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic