Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Am i the only one who...

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
I live in a city that has tons of "Gyms" and I use the term lightly!

I'm all for a franchise "Fitness Club" they serve their purpose. I actually have to use them from time to time.

My question is this- Where are the "hardcore" powerlifting / BB gyms? You guys may have them in your city...I hope you do! I, though, am getting tired of being asked to "keep it down" when I'm trying to push some real weight! I know Soccer Mom Sally may get jumpy if my workout partner is yelling "DIG!" And "light weight!" But I pay to be a member just like she does!

I'm sorry for the rant, but I've been asked to tone it down so many times that I'm at the end of my patience!

Any of my bro's out there dealing with something similar? Hell, even Golds has taken on this workout, but keep it moderate and don't push it too hard mentality!!!! AAAARGH!!! :<

Sorry guys...I feel better, lol!

GodSize

GodSize

Sep 23, 2010
There is one in my local that used to be somewhat hardcore, but from what I gather it has toned down a little. Other than that the only gyms in my city are GoodLife Fitness gyms where things like "hats" aren't allowed (wtf?). Bleh.

There is a gym in my old hometown that everything is made out of iron (it is a town that exists b/c of the iron ore mine surrounding it). It is a true iron den. I fn miss it!!!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
They just "lightened" my gym up. Was painted all black with chrome diamond plating around the bottom so when you drop shit it didn't wreck the wall. Fancier then my last gym but still a good amount of guys who compete there and screaming is always encouraged.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Im in the same boat bro... Gay ass "fitness center" with plenty of moms and broke ass dudes... Its close and it has the bare minimum of powerlifting equipment Id accept so I stay there... Im tempted to drive to a great hardcore place in the city from time to time when I feel like a big fish in a small pond... lol..

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
My gym is gay as hell, but has good equiptment and I know the owner personally (he used to bodybuild) so I have some latitude and the words "fuck off" or "go away" have come out of my mouth countless times.
It really irks me that people treat people who train hardcore like we are a problem, the difference is WE PUT EFFORT INTO WHAT WE DO. They sit and talk, and jerk off instead of training, most are even worried about getting sweaty! LMFAO!
Anyways, the staff and ownership let about half a dozen or so of us train our asses off, and its become understood that the everyday lazy ass member does not have priviliges over us.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
My gym is gay as hell, but has good equiptment and I know the owner personally (he used to bodybuild) so I have some latitude and the words "fuck off" or "go away" have come out of my mouth countless times.
It really irks me that people treat people who train hardcore like we are a problem, the difference is WE PUT EFFORT INTO WHAT WE DO. They sit and talk, and jerk off instead of training, most are even worried about getting sweaty! LMFAO!
Anyways, the staff and ownership let about half a dozen or so of us train our asses off, and its become understood that the everyday lazy ass member does not have priviliges over us.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
The ballys down the street from my gym closed down last month, and it had gotten pretty ghetto, with some ghetto members... So of course my place gives them half off "joiners fee" (a rip off in itself) to all the displaced thugs... Fortunately, most of the idiiots have seen the weight I toss around by now and stay the fuck away, and they ALWAYS have "just one more set" on the equipment Im about to get on... lol...

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
At the 24 hr fitness that I go to the cardio machines and ab machines are downstairs while the weights and resistance machines are upstairs. And they play the music loud, so they don't care if you scream or what not. Obviously they separated the two for this purpose. They put a couple stationary bikes upstairs for guys to do warm ups if they want. Overall, it's a pretty good setup and I'm happy with it. The only drawback is that it's so busy from 4pm to 8pm. I have to go later than that or in the morning. I hate pumping iron in the morning! I'd much rather do cardio then.

VULT

VULT

Sep 25, 2010
I'm surrounded by commercial gyms every which way. I absolutely refuse to go to Gold's except to hang out because I absolutely cannot concentrate in there. There are a couple of hardcore gyms around, but eventually I found that with my schedule the best solution for me was to round out my home gym with everything I need.

This limits me of course, rarely having a training partner/spotter around, but I have managed to change my training up with safety in mind that has not hindered my training in any dramatic fashion, except that time I dropped a 75lb dumbbell on my head and bounced 285lbs off my neck. But taken everything in totality, I'm accident free 99.9% of the time :p

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I ve had that same question when the hell did they all go urban even Golds isnt what it was 10yrs ago its all about the wannab's Im old school started lifting when a gym was a gym no pretty boy's around just your hard core lifters and then one day I walk in and its gone the pretty boy's are there I didnt even see the change coming it just came.

Last edited:
PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
There is a good old school type gym about 15minutes from me. Loud music, tons of big dudes, MEN ONLY (no ladies train here, they're literally aren't allowed, kinda fucked up, as long as the chick was serious I wouldn't care, but his rules) its' in an old machine shop/garage/warehouse type place. The problem is for me that it is 3x as far from the gym I use now (community type place), and about the same price as the community place for my whole family. And, since the kids want to use the pool and I want the babysitting, I stay there.

I will be, over the next few years, transitioning to a home gym (rack, GHR, competition style bench/squat stands, I already have an elliptical, etc.) and I will be happy. My brother and I can just smash weights by ourselves.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I used to belong to one of the few last hardcore Gold's but the new owners ran it into the ground, and drove away all the members. Most everyone went to a chain. Cool thing is, at the chain I was worried I'd be kicked out, but they were very accepting of us and actually did not care one bit. It a gym, its meant to be used, the only thing they don't want is someone hurting themselves. They keep the panzy girl machines on one side, then the guy free weight stuff on the other. Pretty damn nice equipment, it might be a chain, but it was better than the Golds I went to.

I will say, the first "issue" that I ever had was about 2 weeks ago, was having a awesome shoulder workout, equally good trap workout, not even sure how much noise I was making, pushing tons of weight, but towards the end, one of the short skinny male staff members came up to me and asked how my workout was going....lol I said fine, put the head phones back on and walked away.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic