Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Almond Butter

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have a very high protein, ridiculously low carb, low fat diet. Sometimes when I feel like I'm in a brain fog or having a strong craving for carbs or fats I will just eat a tablespoon or two of almond butter. Really helps bring me back to life.

Question is, does anyone know if there is a difference between raw or roasted almond butter? From a bodybuilder's perspective should I give a damn about the differences?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Only if the roasted version has significantly more sodium, otherwise, the nutritional benefits should be the same. And the nutritional benefits of almond butter are substantial, just like almonds themselves. It's too bad the shit is so expensive.....

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Cool. I get the no-salt one so I'm good on sodium intake :) It is a little expensive, but my diet is pretty austere and almond butter is my "splurge" so to speak. Sounds kinda pathetic saying that now that I'm reading it lol.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
If you have a Winco store in your area they have a grinder that makes almond butter out of almonds over by the bulk food section.It isnt ridiculously expensive and I think it is is just ground up almonds

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you have a Winco store in your area they have a grinder that makes almond butter out of almonds over by the bulk food section.It isnt ridiculously expensive and I think it is is just ground up almonds

No Winco but we have a whole foods... Problem is I can't go into a whole foods without spending less than 200 bucks. I can however buy raw almonds at costco and throw them in my food processor and toss in a little olive oil... Great idea RR, didn't even think of making my own. Probably much cheaper that way. Must be why you're a mod!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
hmmm do you ever use coconut oil?I bet that would be good to.Probably not the right consistancy though

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would generally stray away from coconut oil just due to its saturated fat content. But now I'm thinking about eating almond butter with shredded coconut in it lol... Thanks for killing my diet!!! :p

Per 100grams coconut oil has 86grams Sat Fats and Olive Oil has 14. May not taste the best, but suits my needs i guess...

Last edited:
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I would generally stray away from coconut oil just due to its saturated fat content. But now I'm thinking about eating almond butter with shredded coconut in it lol... Thanks for killing my diet!!! :p

Per 100grams coconut oil has 86grams Sat Fats and Olive Oil has 14. May not taste the best, but suits my needs i guess...

Look up MCTs POB. Coconut's saturated fat is all in the form of MCTs and they are most commonly used as energy rather than being stored, and they are remarkably good for your health. Obviously everything in moderation, but check it out.

While you're at it, look up the health benefits of macadamia nut oil. It's stupid expensive, but it is probably the best oil in the world for health, and it doesn't burn under high heat like olive oil.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic