Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

All in the genes thread....AGAIN! :) (new study of elite strength athletes)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I know this has been debated many times....but I am a firm believer in the power of genes as one to the largest factors in our degree of success in the gym.

Interesting study found elite strength athletes were 3 times more likely to have a certain gene (that is not seen in top endurance athletes).

Very cool.

Full study link here:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...enceDaily:+Health+&+Medicine+News+--+Fitness)

Article:
Do Elite 'Power Sport' Athletes Have a Genetic Advantage?

Sep. 25, 2013 — A specific gene variant is more frequent among elite athletes in power sports, reports a study in the October issue of The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, official research journal of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). The journal is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a part of Wolters Kluwer Health.

A "functional polymorphism" of the angiotensiogen (AGT) gene is two to three times more common in elite power athletes, compared to nonathletes or even elite endurance athletes, according to the new research by Paweł Cięszczyk, PhD, of University of Szczecin, Poland, and colleagues. They write, "[T]he M23T variant in the AGT may be one of the genetic markers to investigate when an assessment of predisposition to power sports is made."

Gene Variant More Common in Elite Power Athletes
The researchers analyzed DNA samples from two groups of elite Polish athletes: 100 power-oriented athletes, from sports such as power-lifting, short-distance runners, and jumpers; and 123 endurance athletes, such as long-distance runners and swimmers and rowers. All athletes competed at the international level -- eg, World and European Championships, World Cups, or Olympic Games. A group of 344 nonathletes were studied for comparison.

The analysis focused on the genotype of the M235T polymorphism of the gene AGT. "Polymorphisms" are genes that can appear in two different forms (alleles). A previous study found that the "C" allele of the AGT gene (as opposed to the "T" allele) was more frequent among elite athletes in power sports.

The genetic tests found that elite power athletes were more likely to have two copies of the C allele -- in other words, they inherited the C allele from both parents. This "CC" genotype was found 40 percent of the power athletes, compared to 13 percent of endurance athletes and 18 percent of nonathletes.

Power athletes were three times more likely to have the CC genotype compared to endurance athletes, and twice as likely compared to nonathletes. At least one copy of the C allele was present in 55.5 percent of power athletes, compared to about 40 percent of endurance athletes and nonathletes.

But Functional Significance Not Yet Clear

In a further analysis, the researchers found no differences in genotype between "top-elite" athletes who had won medals in international-level competition, compared to elite-level athletes who were not medalists.

The new study is the first to replicate previous, independent research showing an increased rate of the CC genotype of the AGT gene among power athletes on Spanish national teams. That study also found about a 40 percent prevalence of the CC genotype among elite power athletes.

The AGT gene is part of the renin-angiotensin system, which plays essential roles in regulating blood pressure, body salt, and fluid balance. There are several possible ways in which the CC genotype might predispose to improved power and strength capacity -- including increased production of angiotensin II, which is crucial for muscle performance. However, the researchers emphasize that the "functional consequences" of the M235T polymorphism remain to be determined.

The study contributes to the rapidly evolving body of research on genetic factors related to exercise, fitness, and performance -- which may one day have implications for identification and training of potential elite-level athletes. Dr Cięszczyk and coauthors conclude, "Identifying genetic characteristics related to athletic excellence or individual predisposition to types of sports with different demands (power or endurance oriented) or even sport specialty may be decisive in recognizing athletic talent and probably will allow for greater specificity in steering of sports training programs."

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Insertion points make a huge difference as well. That's genetic as well.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Genetics DEFINITELY a role in the top tier. Same principle as me busting my ass 365 days a year and being as strong as I am, yet there are a couple people I know who will take off for months, even years at a time and only be in the gym consistently maybe 50% of the time and still be much stronger than me, and that being said while knowing everything they are on and how they train, neither of which are enough to edge me out on their own when compared to my training and regime.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
In bb terms genetics 1 steroids 2 training and food 3

Z

zodd

Mar 2, 2014
its just a matter of time with all the gene therapy and discoveries going on that we will be able to change athletes genes .Imagine 20 yrs from now steoids will be a joke a dinosaur like liver tabs of the 50s ,I ts coming there is too much money billions in sports and even if the US is slow the eastern scientists will make super athletes ,remember how dbol and why we made it . I have seen great willpower in sports in my life that beat genes we all have and we love the underdog but the future is money and genetic doping will trump any willpower think about it .

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
You can't deny that some guys have it. My self I'm ecto-meso and when I was younger and natural I had a hell of a time putting size on. I looked good, but I always wanted more. Then I discovered Test, deca and dbol. The great equalizer.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Its true , strength is gifted in the genes in some people... but success is not. We don't need to be super strong to be a successful bodybuilder or to be succeed in other sports. That's where your mind set and determination come into play.
How many gifted people have we all seen come and go in many sports ..buts its the ones who stay on, the hungry dogs that succeed,
Hunger a determined resolve and drive.. its easy come and easy go for those guys that are naturally big and strong.. but for the average guy that refuses to be small and weak.. they are the ones that are great in the end.

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes.
Buddha

An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men.
Thomas Fuller
1608-1661, English Cleric, Antiquary

Climbing from lowliness to the heights, penetrating from the shallows to the depths, gradually applying effort in an orderly manner, not counting the months and years, not losing heart, eventually one will reach fulfillment. It is most important not to waste time vacillating, and not to give up halfway, as this will only leave you with unhappiness … If you start out diligently but end up slacking off, or indulge in idle imagination and hope thereby to keep essence and life whole and accomplish that which is rare in the world, you have no chance whatsoever of success.
Liu Yiming
b. c. 1737, Chinese Taoist Adept, Scholar

I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.
Thomas Paine
1737-1809, English/American Political Theorist, Pamphleteer

There are two ways of attaining an important end: force and perseverance. Force falls to the lot only of the privileged few, but austere and sustained perseverance can be practiced by the most insignificant. Its silent power grows irresistible with time.
Madame Swetchine
1782-1857, Russian Writer

Some minds seem almost to create themselves, springing up under every disadvantage and working their solitary but irresistible way through a thousand obstacles.
Washington Irving
1783-1859, American Writer, Diplomat

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, 'til it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
Harriet Beecher Stowe
1811-1896, American Writer, Reformer

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic