Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Alcohol and Gains

MissMonsterr

MissMonsterr

TID Lady Member
Apr 9, 2015
I've been in quite the debate for a while and I want opinions.
Is alcohol harmful to getting good results in the gym? I feel like, beside it being empty calories and liquid carbs, it would be harmful to your body's ability to heal and perform at its most. Everyone I work out with lives by "IIFYM" crap though and are young so most obviously disagree.
I'm curious what the generally accepted stance on this is though? Is there proof it's harmful or a nonfactor?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Had a training partner that drank like a fish he has good strength gains. I know that's not really a great scientific answer but it's all I have :)

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I've trained without a drink for a few weeks and trained when I was hungover as shit.

Surprisingly, I have better workouts when I'm drained from the night before.

Everything in moderation, don't go out 5 nights/week getting cocked and expect to continue getting gains.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think most put to much emphasis on it... Like UHC said everything in moderation.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I had at least 12 beers the night before my last competition and I set a lifetime PR 575 squat. :)

Some people can't handle even small amounts of alcohol. I seem to have a crazy tolerance for beer and it never adversely affects my life or my training.

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
Everything in moderation is right !!!
I've had 2 occasions where I've had such a bad reaction from drinking heavily , that I hope I've learned my lesson !!!
But when I'm training , I try not to drink much !!!

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Haha I think it hampers your ability to lose fat and a few other things. But it's worth it to me. Drinking on the weekends especially after this winter is a most must weeks.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Drink in moderation, make sure you rehydrate, and make sure to also get enough rest. You should be just fine and not really effect progress at the gym

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I want to add. The term "beer belly" actually derived from the abdominal distention one gets from cirrhosis of the liver. Anything else is simply the byproduct of consuming too many calories. There is some evidence that alcohol can also increase estrogen and decrease testosterone, but I am sure that effects men more, and I don't think the effects are all what the studies make them cracked up to be

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Once I really got serious about my training I noticed I stayed away from alcohol more. School pushed me even further away... Now if I have two drinks I'm buzzed as hell - and I weigh about 290!

Alcohol tends to lead to poor decision making, whether on large or small scale... Consuming a ton of crap foods late night, missing a workout to go out or because you went out and had too much to drink... Dehydration is another problem. Alcohol stops the absorption and proper digestion of good nutrients because the body tries to work through the alcohol above all else, so I could see some protein synthesis and glycogen uptake being lost from overindulgence of alcohol during a post-workout meal...

Fuxk, man... If you drink a lot it's not all that good for you. Same if you eat cookies by the sleeve daily. Or if you hump hookers. Or jaywalking.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
I'm not sure as to the specific scientific effects of it, but I eat like Joey Chestnut when I drink... Bottomless pit.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Well, I've been drinking just about every day, nothing crazy, besides tonight, I mainly only have a drink or two normally and I've been doing well. See the key is all calories in moderation. If you are going to drink, then cut the carbs way down. The rule is, calories in, calories out.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic