Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Ahead of title fight, 'Mighty Mouse' looks to help division the way 'TUF 14' doesn't

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Ahead of title fight, 'Mighty Mouse' looks to help division the way 'TUF 14' doesn't

Demetrious Johnson is all for a good dose of mindless reality programming – just not when it involves his sport.

Johnson knows three of the fighters on "The Ultimate Fighter 14," which is the reality show's first to feature bantamweights.

While he's happy to see his weight class get some extra love on the current season of "TUF," he won't be watching. He's busy.

"I think it's going to be a great season," Johnson said today. "I really don't watch that show because I'd rather play video games, so I'm just keeping it real."

But it's not just about an addiction to "Call of Duty" (which seems to run rampant in fighter circles) or a closet affinity for "The Sims." Johnson doesn't watch the show because he doesn't like seeing his sport portrayed in the way it so typically is when reality TV tackles a subject: Cast volatile personalities, add alcohol, and wait for fireworks.

"It's just not what I want to see," he said. "I don't see a whole bunch of guys in a house drinking alcohol together and acting like fools. If I want to go and watch that, I'll watch 'Jersey Shore.' And I do watch that, but it's totally different."

Snooki and "The Situation," he argues, are just being themselves. More importantly, they're not involved in a sport that, in theory, is about honor and respect and being your best.

Plus, they're from New Jersey. (Well, a few of them are, anyway.)

Johnson's DVR is also filled because, well, he's just about to fight for a world title. On Saturday, he meets UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz in the headliner of UFC on Versus 6, which takes place at Washington, D.C.'s Verizon Center. The event's main card airs live on Versus.

Cruz (18-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is the Speedy Gonzales of the 135-pound class, a fighter in perpetual motion who presents a difficult challenge to any opponent looking to find his chin.

Johnson (10-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) believes he's just as fast as the champ and can match the output that's worn down others, even though he's never before fought a five-round championship fight.

"We're both rhythm fighters, and this one will come down to who breaks their rhythm first, and who gets tired first or who makes a mistake," he said.

When he gets back home, though, don't count on him watching the alcohol-fueled mistakes of his fellow bantamweights.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I'm MightyMouse719, and I approve this message.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic