Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

advantages of wearing weight vest at all times?

ziplocc

ziplocc

Apr 14, 2013
This could also be a bulking question but I was wondering if wearing a weight vest would be beneficial. I don't mean while just working out I'm talking every day all day. Say you work construction and you wear it under your clothes wouldn't the extra weight help work you harder? Or even an office job would it be beneficial to have that extra weight on your body?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This could also be a bulking question but I was wondering if wearing a weight vest would be beneficial. I don't mean while just working out I'm talking every day all day. Say you work construction and you wear it under your clothes wouldn't the extra weight help work you harder? Or even an office job would it be beneficial to have that extra weight on your body?

It's possible that it could put you in a bad position and cause repetitive stress type injury or just nagging chronic pain. For example, sitting at a desk does terrible things to your back and shoulders. The weight vest would likely force you to be even more hunched over and in a worse position.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah wearing a vest would not be a wise idea in the situations your described.

ziplocc

ziplocc

Apr 14, 2013
It's possible that it could put you in a bad position and cause repetitive stress type injury or just nagging chronic pain. For example, sitting at a desk does terrible things to your back and shoulders. The weight vest would likely force you to be even more hunched over and in a worse position.

Good point I didn't think about that. Just got curious. Found my old vest in the garage and wondered why I haven't heard of people wearing it at all times figuring your body would burn more calories and possibly build supporting muscle to adjust to the extra weight

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
PoB nailed it. Exactly what I was going to say. You're just setting yourself up for injury and the benefits wouldn't be worth the risk.

harrybrah

harrybrah

Aug 29, 2013
Good point I didn't think about that. Just got curious. Found my old vest in the garage and wondered why I haven't heard of people wearing it at all times figuring your body would burn more calories and possibly build supporting muscle to adjust to the extra weight

if i were you i would only do 2x a week for a 30 mins walk on the treadmil, although consistent use could lead to a later injury, maybe a good product for short term use to build upper posture/abdominal muscles imo.

ziplocc

ziplocc

Apr 14, 2013
Yeah just in moderation. I used it during my heavy bag routine today under my sweatshirt for cardio and it definitely made a difference. Just that 15 lbs made me push harder

ziplocc

ziplocc

Apr 14, 2013
I could see how all day use would cause problems tho definitely

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I agree with the not a good idea. I have never had one on and prolly never will.

Blacken

Blacken

Sep 6, 2013
You'll probably have better calves I notice all fat people have good calves essentially I believe a vest would act as if you are 40lbs over weight. I agree with everybody else on the injury part but hell you'll have great calves so it's totally worth it i'm j/k.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Instead of the vest that would put stress on the spine, a weighted belt like a scuba diver wears would take the stress off the torso and isolate the legs.

B

brazey

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Over-doing weight training in general will usually lead to an injury. However using a weighted vest in a sensable manner can be productive. Some years ago i started walking 3 miles around the neighborhood with a vest adding weight progressively but always within my limit. In time my overall conditiong improved greatly. It also worked many of the same muscles as the farmer's walk (minus the grip). I started with about 25 lbs and worked up to over 80 lbs. I used two vests that took 1/2 lb weights and totaled 120 lbs when fully loaded.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic