Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Advanced Lifters - How much Protein?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
We all know the general rule for bodybuilding of 1g protein per (lean) pound of bodyweight per day but what about for us dudes that are already solid, do we still need that much?

I'm just wondering if I should worry less about protein and more about carbs these days. I don't think I'm gonna get any bigger at this point.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm still a fan of 1g/lbs of bodyweight for protein and I also think we should also care greatly about carbs.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I run mine high cut, bulk or to maintain. To me protein is like using aas to support our muscle that couldn't be supported without it.

Our muscles need a certain amount of protein to support what we have. I have also found the higher the protein content, the better I look. I run it a little higher for cut and bulk but maintaining is still 1.25 x body weight.

You can also try cutting it little by little but it will take a little time to see what it's doing.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Pretty much agree with these guys, I’ve always done around 1-1.5g/lb of body weight depending on my carb and fat intake as well

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks guys. Was wondering if I was maybe over-doing it but I guess not.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks guys. Was wondering if I was maybe over-doing it but I guess not.
I have consistently eaten 1.1-1.2 for the past 8 years. I have come to believe that higher protein levels are most important in a deficit. Insulin is one of the most anabolic hormones in the body. With plenty of carbs, I believe you can run slightly lower protein. If you are not trying ride the razors edge of gaining bf and holding muscle, I think you can be a little looser. The tighter you are tyring to cut the margins, the more I think protein becomes an issues. There is also the thermic effect which will become a factor especially when dropping majority of carbs. There does become a point where "calories" are not all equal. The effect is very small, but again, on the razors edge, these become more important.

There was a study I saw and cant remember exactly, but it made sense to base off LBM. For a bigger dude who is more powerlifting base, the difference can be significant. You dont need to support non LBM so feeling like you have to hit really high protein levels based off weight alone, may be unnecessary.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
We all know the general rule for bodybuilding of 1g protein per (lean) pound of bodyweight per day but what about for us dudes that are already solid, do we still need that much?

I'm just wondering if I should worry less about protein and more about carbs these days. I don't think I'm gonna get any bigger at this point.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I'd say 1g is good, but I really don't think you'll see any change if it goes +/- a little.

How much of your protein are you getting from whey vs. meat?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
The original research that created these numbers was actually done in grams per kilogram and it was 0.9-1g/kg LBM* to stay in positive nitrogen retention state (build/repair muscle). Bro-science and the American hate for the Metric system created the grams per pound "formula".

I'm roughly 205 right now with visible cuts and vascularity, I'd guess conservatively I'm 10%. 10% Bodyfat means I'm carrying 184.5lbs of LEAN BODY MASS*. Divide 184.5 by 2.2 and you get a LBM of 83.9kg (rounded up). This means I can get away with as little as 84g of Protein per day and maintain muscle. I just round up to 100g and eat at least 100g every day to maintain. Before you call me nuts, I'm a 5'7" Light Heavyweight on stage at 190-95lbs shredded. I have eaten this "low" amount of Pro for more than 8yrs and my Kidneys thanked me ;)

As I get older I need to work harder to stay lean. For this reason I have roughly doubled the Pro intake to 160g in order to reduce carb intake but keep calories the same.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
How much of your protein are you getting from whey vs. meat?

Have not supplemented with whey since my last competition back in April. Generally have 3.5 lbs of lean ground beef in my lunches each week M-F. I make burger patties and grill them but no buns with them I just have some sliced tomatoes and dill pickles on the side with no other condiments.

Meat for dinner every night of course too, evenly split between red meat, chicken and lean pork (tenderloin).

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I agree with Flexjs here too. I eat food and don't use any protein powders at all...ever. I use egg whites when a "fast acting" (easily digestible) protein is called for. For me its when I break my fast at 1-2pm. The rest of the meals are Turkey, Chicken, Hard Cheeses, Greek Yogurt or Line-caught Fish. I will enjoy a rack of Lamb or a nice 9oz Filet Mignon once a month but shy away from red meat with my families high incidence of heart disease.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I am on the other side. I get quite a bit of my protein from whey. (aprox 1/3). I buy unflavored whey isolate. I eat aprox 1lb lean meat a day and the balance of my protein comes from whey and dairy. I usually hit 210-230g/day intake and have every day for the past 8 years.

Whey makes it easy to hold cals where you want them when you are trying to eat at the lower end of your caloric requirement. (I have been perpetually cutting forever now). I believe protein is even more important in a deficit situation and I keep it up there with whey making that a lot easier.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic