Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

AC shoulder joint work around?

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
Over the years I've developed some bad shoulders with benching, military press and just plowed through it anyway. About five years ago I had a Distal Clavicle Resection my right shoulder by the best in the business. Really cool guy, cautious, thorough. He knew our type as he's repaired many pro sports players. At any rate, I didn't have the left done because it "wasn't bad yet". He gave me the option but informed me I would need help from the wife for very private things so I passed on that.

Here we are today and it is so bad now that even 25 push ups is difficult in the am with this messed up shoulder. With everything how crazy it is, I feel the hospital is one of the most dangerous places to be!

Is there anyone that has been able to recover and avoid this procedure? If so, what rehab exercises did you do. Did you give up on bench forever?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Probably not the answer you want, but I would just get the surgery done. Why suffer when you can get it fixed, rehab for a bit and get back in the fight?

I had similar issues. Suffered a really bad AC join separation that the doctor said probably required surgery to heal properly. I put it off, which caused problems in the other shoulder due to imbalance and overwork, leading to a DCR that I put off for a long time. Eventually had to have surgery to repair the AC joint in the other shoulder, because the separation was too far and was causing a lot of instability. Went through 3-5 years of physical therapy prior to the surgeries, which were a huge waste of time. In both cases, I said to myself after the surgeries were done that I was a dumbass for putting them off for so long.

It is not even the gym that is the problem. It is when it starts affecting your everyday life.

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
Probably not the answer you want, but I would just get the surgery done. Why suffer when you can get it fixed, rehab for a bit and get back in the fight?

I had similar issues. Suffered a really bad AC join separation that the doctor said probably required surgery to heal properly. I put it off, which caused problems in the other shoulder due to imbalance and overwork, leading to a DCR that I put off for a long time. Eventually had to have surgery to repair the AC joint in the other shoulder, because the separation was too far and was causing a lot of instability. Went through 3-5 years of physical therapy prior to the surgeries, which were a huge waste of time. In both cases, I said to myself after the surgeries were done that I was a dumbass for putting them off for so long.

It is not even the gym that is the problem. It is when it starts affecting your everyday life.
I appreciate your input GF. It's not what I'm to hear but makes perfect sense. This is already bad enough where I abuse the shoulder while its hurting and push through the pain. Projects, yardwork hurt a bit but putting up a headliner in the mustang was excruciating.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic