Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Abs and Body Fat Percentage

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
At what body fat percentage does ones abs begin to really show? Do you have to get below 10%?

I have been cutting for the last month or two, and have gotten down to 11.7% body fat. While I do feel leaner, only my upper abs are showing- sort of like a one and a half pack.

I wonder, do I just have to cut my bodyfat some more until I have some decent abs? To what percentage?

Or is it that I need to strengthen my ab muscles so they can show? To be honest, abs are the most neglected part of my workout.

Or is it a mixture of the two?

Im just a little frustrated that my abs still suck, even though Ive dropped almost 7% body fat during my cut.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Congrats on a great cutter you've been on! Some guys are blessed with real thick ab muscles, others have to bust ass building them up. Do or start doing weighted ab exercises and go deep into the muscle with the training. Then let them rest up and grow. They need to be large enough to push against the skin in order to "show." Sounds like you're just about there though so keep it up.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Abs can definitely show at above 10% bf, but it's mostly an individual thing. Some won't get them to show until they get below 10%. Sounds like in your case that you may need to get below 10%. However, how accurate is your bf%? It's possible you are still a little higher than 11.7%. There's a bodpod about 5 miles from where I work, at a local university. I've been thinking about going and getting mine tested.

Sounds like you are almost there. I'll say something else, once you get your abs to show, it's hard learning how to flex them.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
how often are you working your abs? and what exercises are you doing?

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Keep going, its a combo of both. Your almost there. For me, I have to drop to 8%, my genetics.

At what body fat percentage does ones abs begin to really show? Do you have to get below 10%?

I have been cutting for the last month or two, and have gotten down to 11.7% body fat. While I do feel leaner, only my upper abs are showing- sort of like a one and a half pack.

I wonder, do I just have to cut my bodyfat some more until I have some decent abs? To what percentage?

Or is it that I need to strengthen my ab muscles so they can show? To be honest, abs are the most neglected part of my workout.

Or is it a mixture of the two?

Im just a little frustrated that my abs still suck, even though Ive dropped almost 7% body fat during my cut.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Agree with everyone. Its purely individual and genetic. I have abs @ 12%. I used to work my abs EOD and the cuts were deeper. Now I don't touch my abs. I use the time for weak point training. The difference is negligible. Keep dieting. Do challenging abs moves like hanging leg raises and windsheild wipers. Crunches and situps don't do shit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic