What's New?

AB Region—A Problem Area for Women

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
attachment.jpg

AB REGION—A PROBLEM AREA FOR WOMEN?

A woman’s pelvis consists of four bones (paired innominate bones, coccyx, and the sacrum) held together by ligaments. The size and shape of these bones have a tremendous impact on how a woman looks physically. The pelvic shape is classified by the “Caldwell-Moloy” (4) system.

There are four “pure” pelvic shapes in this system–android (A), gynecoid (B), anthropoid (C), and platypelloid (D) shaped pelvis. The pelvis of any person may have some features of the opposite sex. A and C are most common in males, B and A in white females, B and C in black females, while D is uncommon in both sexes (3).

The android pelvis (sometimes called a “true male pelvis”) is found in about 20% of American women. Women who happen to have such a pelvis tend to have “flat rear ends.” Many of the “waif women” prominently seen in the industry modeling have this type of pelvis. Women with this shape of pelvis have virtually no real difficulty in achieving a flat stomach because their pelvises are similar to the average man.

The gynecoid pelvis (sometimes called a “true female pelvis”) is found in about 50% of the women in America. It is the “classic” form that we associate with women and has an anteroposterior diameter just slightly less than the transverse diameter. Lucy Lawless of Xena, Warrior Princess fame has a classic gynecoid pelvis. Women like this tend to be shapely and curvy and are able to have a flat stomach without really dropping body fat levels low enough to cause some female problems (i.e., irregular periods, fertility problems, and hormonal balance disruption).

The anthropoid pelvis is very long and almost “ovoid” in shape. It is more common in nonwhite females (it makes up about 25% of pelvic type in white women and close to 50% in nonwhite women). Women who have such a pelvis shape tend to have “larger rear ends” and may carry a lot of adipose tissue/weight in the buttocks as well as in the abdomen. These women can have a flat stomach with some real effort (they may have to drop body fat levels down a bit lower than women with the other two aforementioned pelvis types, but it’s possible.

The platypelloid pelvis is very short(almost like a “flattened gynecoid shape”). Only about 5% of women have a true and pure pelvis of this type. Women having a platypelloid pelvis tend to carry a lot of weight in the lower abdomen. It’s very difficult for these women to have really flat abdomens without getting body fat levels down into the single digits.

What does all this have to do with having a pouch? Since many women are a mixture of pelvic types regardless of what they do they are still going to end up with a little pouch in their abdomen region.

Another important factor in developing award-winning abs is to carefully monitor your caloric intake. In order to bring out the ab muscles, plan on losing 1-2 pounds per week. Between 6-8 weeks from now you should have an awesome set of abs on display.

Never forget your abs!” says IFBB Fitness Pro and 1998 NPC Team Universe (Fitness) runner-up, Amy Yanagisawa. “They are your body’s center of power and provide core strength.

Strong abs aid balance, help prevent lower back injuries and promote good posture. Consistent abdominal workouts (10-15 min, 4-5x per week) performed correctly are not just for physical well-being, but for aesthetics too. Another important tip is to be sure to keep track of your ab exercises in your workout journal so you know which exercises work best for you and produce the best results!”

There are dozens of ab exercises to help you maintain good posture, alleviate lower back pain, and improve your athletic performance. This article has provided you with the tools to develop an intelligent, varied routine that meets your specific training needs and goals. Finally, there is no magic formula that will make your abs appear. Nothing replaces the time and consistent effort you put into your quest for phenomenal abdominals!

References:
1. T NATION | The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle, Oct 30, ’98, No. 25
2. Become an ACE-certified personal trainer and maintain your personal training certification with the American Council on Exercise. Also offering, Group Fitness Instructor, Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant and Advanced Health and Fitness Spec, American Council on Exercise (ACE), Study Reveals Best and Worst Abdominal Exercises, May 14, 2001
3. University of Kansas Medical Center, Sexual Differences in the Pelvis (pg 337)
4.Old Dominion University School of Nursing, Anatomy & Physiology http://web.odu.edu/webroot/orgs/hs/nurs/nursing.nsf/pages/664anatphys_sp00

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
DocHappy does have this problem :)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
DocHappy does have this problem :)

i think i fall into the gynecoid pelvis group! my abs have always been a strong point for me, thankfully! wish my ass was as willing :)

i think that most people dont work their abs enough, they are a very dense muscle grouping and are used constantly to assist with respiration so they are always working. if you want to make a difference in them, you have to work them more than they already are. there was a recent article in one of the muscle mags that showed the great abs of old and every single one of those guys worked their abs everyday for about an hour a day! i do hanging leg raises every morning M-F. anywhere from 100-300 with and without weight. works for me. i still need to work on the diet part more. they are kind of fluffy right now!

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Nice read. Dont know which category I fall into .

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I have the sucky anthropoid pelvis. Killer to lose the lower belly fat

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic