RalfKelleh
What's New?

A little at a time

• Thread starter Eatcleanathlete
  • Start Date
MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
A good rule of thumb when cutting is to eat 60-70% of your carbs around your workouts. This preserves muscle tissue and aides protein taken in during this time to be used for rebuilding muscle rather than converted to glucose as fuel for your workout.

MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
I actually prefer around 75% when cutting.

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
I actually prefer around 75% when cutting.

Here is a run down of today tell me what you think. Woke up ate 1/2 cup quick oats with some agave and cinnamon, 2 scrambled whole eggs, & 2 slices whole wheat dry toast.
1 hour later worked legs. Front squats, back squats, leg extensions, leg curls, lunges, seated calf raises, & standing calf raises. I had a protein shake shortly after I worked out. About 1:00 I ate a grilled chicken breast, steamed broccoli, and some steamed red potatoes. We are eating steak with grilled corn on the cob and grilled asparagus for dinner.
Edit: and I usually eat a 1/4 cup Greek yogurt right before bed.

Last edited:
MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
Looks ok. Move your 1:00 carbs to post workout. How big are you? Are you trying to grow?

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
Looks ok. Move your 1:00 carbs to post workout. How big are you? Are you trying to grow?

5'8" 170 and yes my ideal weight in my opinion is 190-200 I just want to keep gaining strength and be healthy.

raysd21

raysd21

Feb 6, 2014
That's a very lean diet. No bulk in that diet boss. You might grow for a couple of months if you are coming off of a diet but that's about it. But putting on muscle is a slow process so just increase your calories as your weight goes up. You need to move some more food to post workout. If you want to grow eat like 1 hour after your post workout drink. Or do what MuscleAddict said. Don't be afraid to eat some fast absorbing carbs here. Fast carbs actually shuttle nutrients and aminos into your muscles. You want a decent spike in your insulin here for maximum absorbtion. This is one of those times to enjoy some pasta, bread, or white rice or one of theeeee worst foods of all time to eat....mashed potatoes. Your muscles are like a sponge after you work out. And ditch the bedtime yogurt for cottage cheese.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
That's a great change, well done buddy !! Wow, look at how much the gut has came in ;)

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
^^^^^^ I can do that. I will switch around when I eat the majority of my carbs so it will benefit my workout the most. I was hoping no one would bring up those words....... cottage cheese. Oh man I can't stand that food. I can eat anything else sushi, brussel sprouts, grits, anything but cottage cheese. Please tell me there is something else!!!

Last edited:
MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
Ok. So I would shoot for 1.5g of carbs/lb be and the same for protein. That's 255g each which puts you at ~2000 calories between the two. I'd shoot for 2800-3000 calories which should be a modest boost above maintenance. This gives you around 100g of fat per day.

At 60%, you should be consuming around 150g of carbs around your workout. I would eat 50% of that preworkout and then 25% intra and post. So, 75g pre and 35-40 during and post. Split the remaining 100g evenly between two other meals. Keep fats low around your training sessions and split them evenly between the othe meals. Keep protein an even amount through all meals. As for the bed time snack, cage free chicken eggs or a low/non-carb protein shake with a tbsp of coconut oil and a tbsp of almond butter.

Now, I'm not sure when you workout, but here's how I would break it down for my schedule:

Assuming 5 meals:
50g Protein, 75g carbs preworkout
35g carbs and aminos intraworkout
50g protein and 35g of carbs post workout

Meal #1
50g protein, 50g carbs, 30-35g fat

Meal #2
Repeat

Meal #3
50g Protein, 30-35g fat

Eat 1-2 cups of veggies at every meal.

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
Ok. So I would shoot for 1.5g of carbs/lb be and the same for protein. That's 255g each which puts you at ~2000 calories between the two. I'd shoot for 2800-3000 calories which should be a modest boost above maintenance. This gives you around 100g of fat per day.

At 60%, you should be consuming around 150g of carbs around your workout. I would eat 50% of that preworkout and then 25% intra and post. So, 75g pre and 35-40 during and post. Split the remaining 100g evenly between two other meals. Keep fats low around your training sessions and split them evenly between the othe meals. Keep protein an even amount through all meals. As for the bed time snack, cage free chicken eggs or a low/non-carb protein shake with a tbsp of coconut oil and a tbsp of almond butter.

Now, I'm not sure when you workout, but here's how I would break it down for my schedule:

Assuming 5 meals:
50g Protein, 75g carbs preworkout
35g carbs and aminos intraworkout
50g protein and 35g of carbs post workout

Meal #1
50g protein, 50g carbs, 30-35g fat

Meal #2
Repeat

Meal #3
50g Protein, 30-35g fat

Eat 1-2 cups of veggies at every meal.

Man thanks a bunch!!!!!!!! that's very descriptive and very helpful. I will start that right away. My wife and I have chickens and her parents raise grass fed cattle so the eggs and protein are no problem. I will just need to add more veggies. I currently eat about 1/2 cup with every meal but I will raise it up I love veggies. The low carb protein shake around bed time sounds much better than cottage cheese.

I'm going to change the settings on my fitness pal to reflect my new nutrition goals.

We changed up dinner. I had 2 1/2 pound hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and Portobello mushrooms, steamed snap green beans, and some homemade baked beans.

MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
Whenever you can, cook in coconut oil or grass fed butter.

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
Whenever you can, cook in coconut oil or grass fed butter.

I'll have my wife pick up some coconut oil at the store. Any particular brand to look for? I changed up my macros like you mentioned so far so good everything is going great. Thanks again

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic