Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

A little advice about my diet

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
So I have been working on cutting my body fat down. I'm currently 240lbs and somewhere between 20-25% and I'd like to get down under 15 ideally in the long run as low as possible..

Anyway.. So far I have been using a calorie deficit.. Monitoring my macros and trying to eat as clean as possible.
I was losing weight at about 1.5lbs/week. Recently I had a series of bad weeks and let my diet slip as well as my training.

My main question is about doing more of a carb cycling or keto or if I should just stick with what I'm doing.

I know the 1.5lbs/week isn't bad I'm just curious if someone would recommend doing carb cycling or keto over strictly a calorie deficit method

ZeroFuxGiven

ZeroFuxGiven

Oct 29, 2013
Without knowing what you're actually eating, its hard for anyone to make an accurate recommendation. Instincts would say to keep doing what you're doing, since its working. However, what you could be doing could be less than ideal. For example, I'm helping a guy now who decides to eat like shit, but stay under his caloric limitations. So while he's only eating 1700 calories a day, he's somehow managing to only get <60 grams of protein a day.

Assuming everything is kosher; I wouldn't worry about over complicating things if you've got something that's working well.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
CKD is a great way to lose weight......as is any strict plan. We will need more stats

weight
BF% (if you have it)
current eating plan
type of training (how much cardio, are you doing Crossfit/Powerlifting/P90X/Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies.... etc etc)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Keto style is good, I ran one last year. But the problem I ran into was just NO energy in the gym. I had no ability to drive the weight up. I don't think this happens to everyone though. Some people seem to do better. I think you should try it to see how you respond.

Its definitely not for me unless my goals change.

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
Thanks guys! Here are some more detailed stats.

26yrs old
5'10"
BF according to electronic scale is about 20.5% 7pt caliper measurement puts me at about 23% I feel like I look like closer to 30% due to my gut though. My shoulders, legs and chest are fairly lean..

My diet is as follows:
2300cal
Fat-99g
Carb-160g
Protein-256g

My daily food intake looks something like this.

Breakfast - (day A) 4oz lean steak, 2 whole eggs. (day B) 2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites, 1cup of go lean cereal with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Snack 1 - 1 cup fat free cottage cheese

Lunch - 4oz grilled chicken breast, half a bag of spinach salad or 2 cups broccoli.

Snack 2 pre workout shake - while banana, 38g whey protein and 1cup unsweetened almond milk.

Dinner - (day A) 5oz tilapia filet, jasmine rice, and cabbage. (day B) 8oz steak, asparagus, sweet potato.

Day A vs B have no special significance other than to keep things mixed up so I don't get bored and sick of the same day after day.

My training:
Mon - chest/tri
Tue - back/bi
Wed - cardio only
Thurs - shoulders/core
Fri - legs
Sat - full body low weight high rep
Sun - rest

I do 30 minutes of cardio everyday except legs day. Wednesday is cardio only for 60 min.

I don't live by the book completely.. I like to listen to my body. If I feel like I need more leg work I'll do an extra day of legs, if I don't feel like doing shoulders of something I don't do it.

I won't get to into detail on the exact exercises right now but if you want me to I can. However day to day I really just do what I feel like.

That's about it. Let me know if you want more info. Also what is CKD?

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
Nevermind Google told me CKD is clinical keto diet

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
Also my weight is 240lbs.. Don't know how that got forgotten lol

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
Keto diets are great and I'm a huge advocate for them especially if your main goal is to drop fat. Technically working out while in Ketosis will cause more harm then good so you should look into a Carb Cycling Ketogenic diet like The Anabolic Diet or The Underground Bodyopus. Both great diets. I've had huge success on them and so have my clients.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I would just stick to the plan. The name of this game is consistency. Your not going to get anywhere if you don't stick to a plan and keep switching up. None of it is going to be easy, at first.

Work at a simple weight loss plan to begin with, nothing fancy to start with until you know how to diet. What you are doing is fine and a good place to start. This plan will help you in the long run if you decide to cycle carbs and it will be the base of the majority of cutting or bulking in your future. You will already have a base amount of cals to start off with. Cycling will just be adding high days to that base. Learn your body.

I would also recommend hitting a loss of 2lbs a week. After you get low enough, then start cycling carbs.

How many cals do you burn in a 30min cardio session?

Who did the caliper measurements?

Are you running a cycle?

HDH

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
I would just stick to the plan. The name of this game is consistency. Your not going to get anywhere if you don't stick to a plan and keep switching up. None of it is going to be easy, at first.

Work at a simple weight loss plan to begin with, nothing fancy to start with until you know how to diet. What you are doing is fine and a good place to start. This plan will help you in the long run if you decide to cycle carbs and it will be the base of the majority of cutting or bulking in your future. You will already have a base amount of cals to start off with. Cycling will just be adding high days to that base. Learn your body.

I would also recommend hitting a loss of 2lbs a week. After you get low enough, then start cycling carbs.

How many cals do you burn in a 30min cardio session?

Who did the caliper measurements?

Are you running a cycle?

HDH

Thanks man! Great advice.
As for your questions, I have no idea how many calories I'm burning during my cardio.. I usually do 3mph walk with three 4 minute HIIT sessions at 4 minutes, 15 minutes, and 25 minutes at 9mph for 20 sec on 10 rest...
Or straight 30 minutes on the stairmaster at level 6

How do I measure calories burned?

I will do caliper measurement myself or get my girlfriend to help with hard spots

And no AAS yet.. I wanted to get bf as low as possible before starting a cycle.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks man! Great advice.
As for your questions, I have no idea how many calories I'm burning during my cardio.. I usually do 3mph walk with three 4 minute HIIT sessions at 4 minutes, 15 minutes, and 25 minutes at 9mph for 20 sec on 10 rest...
Or straight 30 minutes on the stairmaster at level 6

How do I measure calories burned?

I will do caliper measurement myself or get my girlfriend to help with hard spots

And no AAS yet.. I wanted to get bf as low as possible before starting a cycle.

You should be able to measure calories burned on the machines you are using. If you can't tell, just ask someone at the front desk and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Some cardio equipment won't let you know unless you program your info into it.

I would say you are burning a decent amount by what you are doing. You more than likely won't have to change anything but knowing what you are burning will help out. It can be a pain in the ass to track everything at the beginning but becomes second nature before you know it.

3500cal equals 1lb. In order to get that extra 1/2 lb, you will need to either eliminate 250 cals a day, burn an extra 250 cals a day for cardio or split it about 50/50. It's up to you. Personally I like to run the cals a little high and do the extra cardio. It gives me a better conditioned look. Not everyone has the extra time though.

You are off to a good start because you already know what it takes for you to lose 1.5 lbs a week. You have your base. Now it's just a matter small tweeks here and there to reach your goals.

I asked about the calipers because they can be tricky at first depending on what kind you use. I just use some electronic hand helds. I've never seen anyone happy with the scale/BF combo. From the looks of your pic, you seem to be in the low 20s. Any of the testers won't be 100% accurate. It's best to check with the same device all the time, at the same time of day and if possible, with the same amount of carbs so glycogen stores will be the same. In the morning upon waking is when I test. As I said, they aren't 100% accurate but they will give you a good idea over a period of time.

It's good to see you are getting healthy before cycling. A lot of people don't and I have been guilty of it so hats off to you.

If you have any questions just ask. There are some good experienced guys here on this forum and I'll be happy to help out as well.

HDH

silverback66

silverback66

Oct 8, 2013
Thanks bro! Yeah I knew the machines had a calories burned display, just want sure how accurate that was. I will keep trucking along! I have gotten a bit slack on my diet and exercise in the past few weeks partially due to a shoulder injury. But I'm feeling better every day and I'm ready to kick my self in the ass and get back on track.

Thanks for the support!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic