Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

A fun experiment

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
My advice is don't change so many variables. Eat what you need to eat for protein, and like to eat so it doesn't drive you nuts. Don't take iron suppl of any kind (multi) and mix in more fish vs red meat. Don't get overly anal with iron in food (heme vs non-heme), yes it matters but how much? Same with T dosing do what works within the HRT framework 200 - 300 mg/wk max. Most importantly, keep everything consistent and figure out how often you need to donate and stick with it. If you change a number of variables that affect the donation schedule you'll never figure out what it takes to keep your HCT in the 49 - 52 range. Lastly, donations can drive down ferritin, without normal iron intake to maintain blood iron, you'll end up iron deficient. It's a paradox, high Hb with low ferritin and it too can cause symptoms. Can't take this for granted, probably the number two side effect that you have to stay on top of, BP being number one, and if you're young and want to stay fertile, that too is up there in shit to pay attention to.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I’m uncertain as to iron level accumulation between the two, but I do know that supplements contain non-heme (highly inactive) rather than heme (bioavailable) iron.
I don’t think non-heme iron is as much a concern as heme iron (active / bioavailable) is, but it’s worth making note of.
tb ... I'm not as fond of arguing as some folks are, but I do like learning so .........

wtf with this non-heme iron? Is there any benefit or detriment to those who consume it, or is it just a cheaper version of iron that food + supplement businessmen can include on ingredients labels to impress consumers?

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
tb ... I'm not as fond of arguing as some folks are, but I do like learning so .........

wtf with this non-heme iron? Is there any benefit or detriment to those who consume it, or is it just a cheaper version of iron that food + supplement businessmen can include on ingredients labels to impress consumers?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Todays lunch was the monte cristo (a ham and cheese sammich on a donut with jam as a dipping sauce) with fries. Fried cheese and buttered croissants. Washed down with copious amounts of sweet tea.

Unrelated fun fact. I can see the people following the tread and two of them are on my ignore list so I can't see anything they post if they post. Funny shit...lol
I feel fat just reading that! Lol

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010

The article link Wilson shared explains the basic distinction between heme and non heme iron. Summarized and bluntly translated, non heme iron pretty much sucks. Vegetarians and vegans quite commonly experience markedly higher rates of anemia as a result of lacking heme (animal sourced, bio active / bioavailable) iron. Non heme is a very poor source for the essential iron our bodies need.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010

A brief technical description from Dr Paul Saladino:

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
What about fish? Less iron maybe?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
What about fish? Less iron maybe?
Fish is definitely lower in iron than beef, but it does contain heme (highly absorbable) iron.

We need heme iron, and a high heme diet is fine — it’s just that with gear use and/or a propensity for storing / build up that rises too high, donating blood every 2-3 months is an important.therapeutic health practice to keep up. “Some” (small percentage) may need more frequent donation periodically, and that requires a doctor to order it.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Fish is definitely lower in iron than beef, but it does contain heme (highly absorbable) iron.

We need heme iron, and a high heme diet is fine — it’s just that with gear use and/or a propensity for storing / build up that rises too high, donating blood every 2-3 months is an important.therapeutic health practice to keep up. “Some” (small percentage) may need more frequent donation periodically, and that requires a doctor to order it.
Yeah, the Dr I spoke with was talking every 56 days for me.

Breakfast today: Two grilled cheese sammitches, with double cheese (muenster and gouda) and cooked them in a garlic herb butter and Kerry gold. Amazing! And considering that was far less calories than my typical breakfast, the weight should start melting right off. (According to our in-house "experts")

R

RIR0

Aug 21, 2022
Yeah, the Dr I spoke with was talking every 56 days for me.

Breakfast today: Two grilled cheese sammitches, with double cheese (muenster and gouda) and cooked them in a garlic herb butter and Kerry gold. Amazing! And considering that was far less calories than my typical breakfast, the weight should start melting right off. (According to our in-house "experts")
You literally have no idea if you’re in a deficit you’re not weighing your food. That was damn well over 1000 calories. You’re either a complete retard or a troll.

R

RIR0

Aug 21, 2022
So again, VIP has nothing to do with knowledgeable or experience.

R

RIR0

Aug 21, 2022
It’s not an experiment and it’s not you eating in a deficit.
An actual experiment would be controlled.
The dr told you blood markers were off so you basically decided to start eating like an asshole with no self control.
you went from one extreme to the other. You also got your original diet advice from a questionable psychiatrist.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic