What's New?

A first

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Don't know the numbers, but do know (of) THE authority you may get an answer from.

Richard Sorin, who is probably ~68-70yo by now, is a well known figure in strength-in-general circles ... because he founded Sorinex way back (1970s?) when selling heavy duty and innovative gym equipment was a risky career choice. His son Bert runs the company now, but Pops is still around.

Richard did not invent the Captains of Crush, but he was the first and only to close the #3's way back in the 1980s. He remained the only for yrs, although #4's have been made and closed since. ANYway ... what I remember about him is not so much about his own strength accomplishments as about his flat out LOVE of all things strength ... especially GRIP strength, and how it can be demonstrated in many ways.

I lost touch with him sometime last Century, but you may be able to reach Richard, or Bert, through their company website or other online presence. Richard, and maybe Bert, are grip strength historians. It may be the CoC grippers a few here remember are different than the old ones, but the Sorins are the most likely people* who will know.

* It may also be @BrotherIron will know, and I'd be surprised if there are no others on the Den who have used, or are familiar with, "the other Rogue."

Not a big grip guy but I know if you can close the #3 you got a helluva grip. Those plastic ones (like the one Snake broke) are EASY. Turn the thing into origami but the Caps are not easy. I would say get the #2 and rep it and use the #3 for singles.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
#1 is 140lbs
#2 is 195lbs
#3 is 280lbs
#4 is 365lbs

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Thnx, BI, figured you would be the in-house authority if the Sorins are hard to reach.

Vague memories of "Milo" and that the founder was in Crete(?) and might even be RIP by now, but my brain is currently in Stage 666 Alzheimers, so ...................................................

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Not a big grip guy but I know if you can close the #3 you got a helluva grip. Those plastic ones (like the one Snake broke) are EASY. Turn the thing into origami but the Caps are not easy. I would say get the #2 and rep it and use the #3 for singles.

I have afterthoughts after I had other thoughts. Strength feats are a function of muscle mass and ... leverage. Back when Richard was the CoC king, our current WSM stars were in diapers. The CoC man (Milo?) had recruited various "strength people" of the late 2000s to test his product ... people from OL or PL, maybe NFL and ShotPut(?). Richard Sorin was around 6' 5" so he may have had leverage advantages along with his passion for "Grip."

So I can put my afterthoughts to bed, I'll recruit @SAD , our latter day wrist wrasslin' devotee to discussions of hand, wrist, and forearm strength ........

******* STILL believe Herman Goerner's 1920s One Handed Deadlift of over 700 is the greatest strength feat ever, but there's no video, so who knows?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Well from rJJIN's video, it seems the one had were about 60# so I'm going to get something around the 100# area. I do need a pair so the CoC is out, too pricy for a pair. Thanks men!

Thanks to BI for the info!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Ok, I'm going to take shit for this but I picked these up and used them last night. They go from 60-110 lbs. I had cranked them up all the way and had no issues doing 20 reps with them. There's no way they are going to last 30 years like the last set. I'll be shoucked if they see 30 months.

CKuKmf1.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic