Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

A calorie is NOT a calorie

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
It’s been a minute since I (several of us here on the board) engaged this hotly debated topic.
Just finished listening to a well qualified person touching on this. It takes a bit of listening — maybe 20 or so minutes to cover. Hoping it will be of interest and beneficial for all, especially the “science” lovers and the “thermodynamics” and “a calorie is simply a unit of energy” gospel preachers.
This came up in a discussion between Dr Ken Berry and Ben Bikman.
First, a link to answer who Ben Bikman is: https://cell.byu.edu/directory/benjamin-bikman

And, the video. You’ll need to forward the vid and begin viewing at 25:45 minutes into the discussion:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=JSHAmK-0duM&t

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
My coach says this all the timex and my dumb ass understand this as much as him.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Brother I just posted this topic as my fitness topic of the day on Facebook, IG and YouTube and it ruffled some feathers. My argument will always be, fats, carbohydrates and proteins all have different impacts on our endocrine system, so not all calories are created equal.

Druss

Druss

Oct 23, 2022
whenever this debate comes up I always like to think of the macros as how they react as fuel, a cal is defined as the amount of energy required to heat 1ml of water by 1 degree C. But lets say sugar is like gasoline and fat is like oil and wood is like protein, throw all 3 on a fire and each in turn burns slower than the first, so while they all have the same energy potential the rate at which they burn has a different physiological effect on our bodies due to how fast we can metabolize the energy source. so yes I agree to a calorie isnt just a calorie. Its not the calorie that is different but how we process/use that calorie source.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Oh you are so right. GF I tried to explain it to a lady once at a party. Eat a 2000 calorie diet high in sugar and fat and get fat. Eat a 2500 calorie diet high in fat and moderate protein you will loos fat. If a calorie is a calorie then how is that possible.!!!!!!!!!

She persisted even after I showed her proof on my wife's phone.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Oh you are so right. GF I tried to explain it to a lady once at a party. Eat a 2000 calorie diet high in sugar and fat and get fat. Eat a 2500 calorie diet high in fat and moderate protein you will loos fat. If a calorie is a calorie then how is that possible.!!!!!!!!!

She persisted even after I showed her proof on my wife's phone.
This is what I have been saying for years and people had rather stay ignorant. Even some people on here believe a calorie is a calorie bullshit and they SHOULD know better. I can eat a cup of rice and a donut per day (about 400 calories total) and get fat as fuck. Or I can eat over 4,000 calories per day nothing but meat and eggs and lose fat. Done it several times. Seen it done dozens of times by people I know personally and hundreds of times in groups/forums I'm part of. Its repeatable. If a calorie is a calorie and its all about the law of thermodynamics this should never be the case.

The people who will argue this are the ones who took a nutrition class in college and worship it as a religion. Science is completely off the table. Objective reality does not exist to them. They are likely still wearing a mask because their "science" tells them to.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

Yano

Yano

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2022
I learned this over the past few years losing 106 lbs ... you can stick to your calorie requirement and not lose any weight,, candy n soda vs chicken n spinach ,, shit just burns different in the furnace

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic