Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Water Retention / Water Cutting

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Been doing some research on water retention and removal of sub-cutaneous water. I thought I would post up some of the info I've put together. I do not intend on touching at all on the use of diuretics as I have no clue about them and don't want to be responsible for killing anyone... Find that info someplace else. Feel free to add any of your knowledge on the matter. I'd love to hear from the guys that have been in bodybuilding shows and their experience with this.

Definition: Water Retention - an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the circulatory system or within the tissues or cavities of the body

Causes:
Salt
One of the main causes of water retention is eating too much salty food. The main component of salt is sodium, which the body dilutes with water if too much of it is present. Salt makes you thirsty, and your body will hold on to the water you drink in response to that thirst. Reducing the amount of salt in your diet will help you to release a little water retention but not usually more than about 2 lbs in weight. Even a relatively salty diet, although it can be harmful in many ways, will not normally cause gross water retention.

Hormones and Medication
High levels of certain hormones will also cause water retention. These include insulin, which is needed to process sugar; cortisol, which is produced when you are under stress; and the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone. The water-retaining effect is caused by the effects which these hormones have on sodium levels in your body, and on the hormones which govern how your kidneys work. Certain prescribed medicines such as the contraceptive pill and some painkillers can affect levels of these hormones. Hormonal water retention is generally in the abdominal/lower back area. In women water retention can occur in the breasts causing tenderness and one more reason for them to be cranky about something.

Inadequate Diet
Low levels of protein in the blood does not allow the body to draw water from its tissues. This will cause generalized puffiness, but if the malnutrition is severe it will cause severe edema in the abdomen. This is notable in the images you see in those Sally Struthers commercials. No not her, she's just fat I mean the little Africans or Haitians she wants me to give my money to.

Histamine
Histamine causes water retention leading to bloating and abdominal swelling. If you have ever been stung by an insect or developed an itchy red lump after a mosquito bite, you will be familiar with the effects of histamine. Histamine widens the joins between the cells which line your smallest blood vessels, known as your capillaries. This makes them leak both water and protein into your “tissue spaces” – the area surrounding the cells of tissues such as flesh, organs and intestines. If the protein cannot be removed from your tissue spaces, it will stay there, attracting water.
Poor digestion and taking antibiotics can cause changes in your intestines which lead to a lot of histamine being produced in this area. Sometimes eating yogurt and probiotics can help to reduce this problem, but if it has been going on for some time these measures may not be effective on their own.

Dehydration
Reducing your water intake is not the right way to combat water retention. It WILL make it worse.

More on cutting out the water later.

----PoB----

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Is it possible to actually drink too much and exacerbate fluid retention while hydrating?

Last edited:
arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
Is it possible to actually drink too much and exacerbate fluid retention while hydrating?

Good question I have felt I have taken in to much water before and it washes away a lot of electrolytes.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Yeah I have the water retention issue.........it is usually a time thing for me. I blow up the first 4 weeks and then settle back down.

darksidefitness

darksidefitness

Jan 13, 2011
Great post. I used some time ago "Lasix" under medical supervision to reduce the excess of water from my body. Works really good. However, now (years later) is coming back. Try hours in the Sauna. Cardio. Watch food consumption. And more...Nothing OTC is effective like at the med office. I guess I will need to go back.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Great post. I used some time ago "Lasix" under medical supervision to reduce the excess of water from my body. Works really good. However, now (years later) is coming back. Try hours in the Sauna. Cardio. Watch food consumption. And more...Nothing OTC is effective like at the med office. I guess I will need to go back.

Did you read my article? what is the underlying cause of your retention? Treat the cause not the symptom (unless it's competition time).

darksidefitness

darksidefitness

Jan 13, 2011
High blood pressure, plus in my line of work excess of water is equal to excess of weight. With the product and lowering my Sodium consumption loose some extra weight that I was carrying around. And not competition time here...but weight ck from time to time.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012

It shouldnt. It may cause slight water retention in the beginning of flooding your body with water, but if you sustain a high water intake for a couple days it will flush water out of you

flex001

flex001

May 15, 2013
I use Dandelion Root. Some studies indicate that Dandelion Leaves have the actual diuretic effect however Dandelion Root capsules seem to work for me when retaining water.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic