Members
Latest Member
pbtom

405lb + 86lb in chains

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Tried squatting heavy with a wider stance for the first time. I think I can get used to that. Bodyweight 179

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Is this your first time using chains? I like using reverse band squats for overload work.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Is this your first time using chains? I like using reverse band squats for overload work.

I've used chains quite a bit. First time with the wider stance. Pr at 470 with narrow stance. I have not done reverse band yet.(I have with DL) I figure a sticking point there at around 450 with wiDE stance. Wondering if a 430 (avg of 411 bottom and 451) every 2 minutes for 5 sets would increase power through that section. Just thoughts...I failed 475 but felt it was purely technique. The weight felt good and relatively light on my back. Simply lost it holding my position out of the hole.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've used chains quite a bit. First time with the wider stance. Pr at 470 with narrow stance. I have not done reverse band yet.(I have with DL) I figure a sticking point there at around 450 with wiDE stance. Wondering if a 430 (avg of 411 bottom and 451) every 2 minutes for 5 sets would increase power through that section. Just thoughts...I failed 475 but felt it was purely technique. The weight felt good and relatively light on my back. Simply lost it holding my position out of the hole.

I would suggest pauses at that sticking point. You could even pause more then 1x in the squat. You could pause in the hole and then again at the sticking point to really make you stay tight and also work that sticking point. I think squatting with weight w/o a pause where you have to work (grind) through that point would also be a good idea.

If you think there is a technique issues where you lose your tightness in the hole I like reverse band squats to help with this b/c since the weight is considerably lighter in the hole which allows you to focus on that issue and gives you the ability to make a conscious effort to address the problem. You can also do this with chains but the change in the hole isn't as drastic.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I would suggest pauses at that sticking point. You could even pause more then 1x in the squat. You could pause in the hole and then again at the sticking point to really make you stay tight and also work that sticking point.
Double pause squats?

I swear to God if that ends up in PoB's Bully Yoga program, this is what's coming to you Brother Iron ... b-( !!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Double pause squats?

I swear to God if that ends up in PoB's Bully Yoga program, this is what's coming to you Brother Iron ... b-( !!

LOL... I'm sure they will and it's straight from Boris Sheiko and you know #PoB loves Russians. Boris actually has the guys/gals pausing more then twice. Usually it's one pause on the way down, pause in the hole, and a pause on the way up. It teaches control, how to stay tight, and build serious strength.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Double pause squats?

Don't feel bad... I'm thinking of implementing them in my program... so if you don't do them I'll be doing them and I'll be able to let you know. I though will probably just make it a double pause (hole and on way up).

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Double pause squats?

Haven't used em yet. You are more likely to see a tempo squat which is worse.

3 seconds down no pause 3 seconds up. I made 3M do them I think.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic