Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

3 Foods You Should Eat After a Workout

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
You may have had some problems where you are working out like crazy and not seeing the best results even though you keep trying different variations with your exercises and even your diet. This article is aimed at providing you with 3 foods you should eat after a workout so you get the most out of your workouts.

The science behind this article is based on re-supplying your muscles with the nutrients and energy they need to recover and grow. With many of you who don’t eat for sometimes an hour after your workout this is a pretty big mistake which you may not have really paid attention to in the past.

A lot of the times the problem is timing and being in a hurry to get somewhere after your workout or simply needing to shower and attend do chores, etc. With this in mind I’m going to include easy to prepare or raw foods to take as minimal time as possible.

After a Workout Food 1: Protein Smoothie

Like you probably have noticed in so many other articles on this site I stand strong behind having a whey protein smoothie after your workout. The reason behind this is because whey protein provides your muscles with essential amino acids which they need in order to recover.

During a workout we often go into a catabolic state which means that our muscles are broken down and even incur micro tears. Although this may sound like a bad thing, it actually isn’t. This is a necessary process which needs to occur in order for our muscles to get stronger and grow. There have been many many supplements which promise to take you out of a catabolic state or minimize that from happening, but in my perspective nothing comes close to whey protein powder.

Regardless of whether you want to increase muscle size or lean out and increase definition the essential amino acids whey protein provides is a fantastic resource for both men and women.

Lucky for us as consumers there are many different brands and many of them have some pretty fantastic flavours.

If you haven’t tried Gasapri’s Myofusion yet I don’t think I’ve ever tasted anything as good as their milk chocolate flavour. It’s like my favorite chocolate desert, I just can’t get over it. Here is a link for you on all the flavours they provide – Gasapri’s Myofusion.

Another one that is highly rated and is getting a lot of buzz for the high quality ingredients it contains is – Cellucor IsoPro Ultra Lean.

After a Workout Food 2: Any Fruit

Since we use sugar as our primary source of fuel for all our muscles, after a workout we are quite deficient in the amount of sugar we have in our systems. While it may seem like a good idea for this to be the case so that maybe we can get some weight loss happening a pretty strong argument can be made against this.

Much research on athletes has shown that although weight loss can occur with some starvation of sugar after an intense workout the problem that occurs is that your muscles are not able to regain and store that sugar for energy next time you workout. In other words, your muscles are starving for sugar especially within 30 to 60 minutes post workout. If you don’t supply this sugar then they are not able to completely fill up and have you completely energetic for your next workout.

I’ve taken this principal and applied it to both my workouts and many of my clients and we have been shocked at the results. You have to try it for yourself to see how much this can affect your next workout.

Brilliant idea and bonus points is that you mix in some fruit with your whey protein. I like berries especially blueberries and bananas, they make a very tropical flavour!

After a Workout Food 3: Salmon or Omega 3 Supplement

Hopefully you saw my recent article on the health benefits of Omega 3′s. If you have time to make a meal with salmon or another one of your favorite fish then even better, but the Omega 3 fatty acids that fish contains is excellent because Omega 3′s are linked with reducing inflammation.

This is fantastic news for sore muscles because with reduced inflammation we can have less pain and faster recovery times.

If you don’t have time for a fish meal then you can find a high quality Omega 3 supplement which is known for not having any toxic metals like mercury which most fish are found to have these days.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
good info thanks for posting

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
thats very cool read and well worth the time to do it again.

Demigod

Demigod

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
Good read...diet really is the most important part of bodybuilding. I've seen so many times people expecting the drugs to do it for them but it just don't work that way.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I really need to get some fish or fish oil in my diet.

Thanks,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I am wondering if an omega 3/6/9 oil would do the trick?

Hawk

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
Unfortunately, the clinical literature doesn't back up the claims of using whey. Every single study using either whey or a whey-casein blend shows superior results for the blend in terms of strength, hypertrophy, and even in conjunction with fat loss. Whey gets absorbed too quickly to be used efficiently and too many of the aminos are lost when the liver converts them to glucose. Less than 40% of those aminos even get to the muscle for protein synthesis.

@chicken_hawk- you could use those, but as the average diet gets far too much 6 and 9 already, which leads to added inflammation, I'd stick with 3's. -EK

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic