Members
Latest Member
pbtom

2nd CanAm Bench Press Championships (Romulus, MI) July 20

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
FYI for anyone in the SE Michigan area....

Meet: 2nd Annual CanAm Bench Press Championships (online entry form & info pdf link)
Federation: WPC
Date: July 20, 2013
Time: Raw (9:00 - 11:30am) / Equipped (1:00 - 4:30pm)
End Date: July 20 2013
Type of Meet: BP
City/State: Romulus, Michigan
Director/Promoter: Joe Smolinski
Cost of Admission: $5.00 for spectators

Anyone here competing in it? I'm planning on catching the morning session.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I've done full meets and push/pull meets but I've never done a bench-only meet. Reckon that would be pretty cool.

Good luck for it if you enter, what do you think you can put up Chris?

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not going to enter this one. I'm looking at a full meet in August and/or October for my first event. But I am going to this one to get more experience from the point of view as a spectator. And I'm hoping to pick up some tips that could help me because BP is my weakest lift.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Okay, gotcha now. Sorry I misunderstood you when I read that you were going to catch the morning session.

I agree with what you are thinking; the more meets you can get to and watch (especially the federation that you are planning on competing in) will only aid in benefitting your preparation. Study the lifts, learn the techniques and incorporate things like paused benches, not hitching your DL's, performing your lifts around the commands et al into your training. Things like this will eliminate any surprises on the day and you'll know exactly what to expect, from both the judges and how a meet runs from start to finish.

Don't underestimate a full power meet, it's usually a long and tiring day.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A lot of friends will be there but it's the same day as the UPA meet I'm helping a buddy at. These meet directors need to look at a damn calendar before scheduling a new meet. I heard a lot of bitching about judging last year so it'll be interesting to see how this year's meet goes for the Can-Am.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I heard a lot of bitching about judging last year so it'll be interesting to see how this year's meet goes for the Can-Am.
I only watched the Raw portion of the event, but there were a lot of "no lifts." The consensus from the spectators and competitors were that the judges were tough today. There were some records broken (a 71 year old guy benched 414), but some of the competitors changed their second and third lifts (i.e. made them more conservative) based on the strict rulings.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Yea, I've been going through the videos from yesterday that buddies have posted on facebook..... looks tough, but on par with most WPC meets I've been at.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic