pbtom
What's New?

2018 Olympia results

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, I was surprised to see that Rhoden won. I like the flow of his physique, and hit tight midsection.

I still don't know whether Shawn won it, or Phil simply lost it. Phil's waist looked out of control, but still looked pretty impressive from the back. I saw some of the comparison pics, and Phil still looked pretty good. But I saw Milos, Aceto and Farnsworth being interviewed after pre-judging, and each of them concurred the Shawn had Phil beat unless things magically changed the following night.

Roelly finally dialed it in, and looked good.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Wondering if this signals a change in IFBB expectations. Simply put, Phil and many others on stage that night and over the years had more mass, but Rhoden modernized the classic looks of Reeves and others who also appeared over the years. I had been wondering for a while if Dennis Wolf might be the breakout boy who signaled an IFBB departure from shock appeal mass, but looks like Shawn is the one?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Really is hard to say. I just think that Phil's midsection looked bad last year, and he and his team later said he had a bad hernia that needed repair. So what was this year's excuse? He looked about the same to me. Great legs, great arms, excellent back, but midsection blown to hell.

I think all the insulin use causes a bunch of fat accumulation between the organs of the thoracic (sp?) cavity. Just isn't a good look. Not trying to trash the guy, I couldn't achieve that level of conditioning in a million years, but everyone's been complaining about the distended stomachs for the past 15 years, and with classic bodybuilding growing in popularity quickly, I'm guessing the IFBB is wanting to ensure that the Men's open division stays relevant. Still wants the mass monsters, but should still be tight.

For example, Ramy and Roelly both are mass monsters, but both have midsections that are more under control than Heath. Roelly has struggled with that in the past, but really looked good in this contest.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Roelly really impressed me, his arms are ridiculous. Shawn I don’t think beat Phil, but I guess I overlook Phil’s midsection problem.. Iain Valliere looked pretty awesome to me too

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Heath lost the O because of that midsection. No way would he have lost if he wasn't blown out lol.

Shawn looked great and is the champ, but I like the freaks. Heath used to have freaky aesthetics til he blew out that gut.

Roelly really impressed me with his improvements. Ramy is a freak of nature. Brandon Curry was extremely impressive as well.

Bonac is a good bb'er I just don't like his physique and structure.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You mean they're not rewarding a wide midsection anymore? How dare they...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic