lk has no balls
What's New?

2 Leg Days per Week

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hey y'all, so i have been training this past year awfully hard. Off season, i hope, has been good for me. Now its time to shredd to see all the hard work.

One area my coach is having me do on legs is 2 leg days per week. I train with him twice a week, one of them is a leg day and the other is either a push or pull workout. For legs for when he trains me, we are usually doing heavy work outs and typically have been glute focused.
When i train on my own, i am doing a lot of unilateral movements, low weight but high reps. Here is a sample of a leg day on my own:

Standing Hamstring curls, one leg at a time.
Start out with 25# for 20 reps
+10#, 20 reps
+10#, 15-20 reps
+10#, ~15 reps

Single leg, straight leg dumbbell dead lifts (15-20 reps each leg).
Use a bench or something to hold onto while doing the movement. For these, i really concentrate to use my hammies to pull up, not lower back.
25# db
30# db
35# db

Sometimes, i will super set above with adductors.

Landmine squats - usually 4 sets at 15 reps each
35# plate
+15#
+10#
last set, same weight

On the assisted pull up, i have been using this machine and using it for pushdowns with one leg at a time. Put the weight really high so that you can use your leg to really push down and feel the resistance going up and going down. I do 4 sets of these usually for about 15 reps each leg.
Super set this with GHBs, for as many as i can get each set.

Last set is a giant set at the cables, and do 4 sets of these movements for 15 reps; each time is at the lower cable position and with the ankle strap:
1.-Angeled kickbacks, with strap right below knee.
2.-Straight leg kickbacks, with strap at ankle.
3.-Side leg laterals, kicking leg out to the side, with strap at ankle.

After this i'm pretty spent, but sometimes do walking lunges for a finisher.
Then stretching after.

Happy Lifting y'all.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Been doing legs twice a day for so long I cannot remember when I started. Heavy is the way for me, but heavy is relative. I do a lot of rest pause training, so it is something I can do for 8-12 reps, for multiple sets with a 20-30 second rest between sets.

Jayne Scott

Jayne Scott

TID Lady Member
Feb 7, 2022
Hey y'all, so i have been training this past year awfully hard. Off season, i hope, has been good for me. Now its time to shredd to see all the hard work.

One area my coach is having me do on legs is 2 leg days per week. I train with him twice a week, one of them is a leg day and the other is either a push or pull workout. For legs for when he trains me, we are usually doing heavy work outs and typically have been glute focused.
When i train on my own, i am doing a lot of unilateral movements, low weight but high reps. Here is a sample of a leg day on my own:

Standing Hamstring curls, one leg at a time.
Start out with 25# for 20 reps
+10#, 20 reps
+10#, 15-20 reps
+10#, ~15 reps

Single leg, straight leg dumbbell dead lifts (15-20 reps each leg).
Use a bench or something to hold onto while doing the movement. For these, i really concentrate to use my hammies to pull up, not lower back.
25# db
30# db
35# db

Sometimes, i will super set above with adductors.

Landmine squats - usually 4 sets at 15 reps each
35# plate
+15#
+10#
last set, same weight

On the assisted pull up, i have been using this machine and using it for pushdowns with one leg at a time. Put the weight really high so that you can use your leg to really push down and feel the resistance going up and going down. I do 4 sets of these usually for about 15 reps each leg.
Super set this with GHBs, for as many as i can get each set.

Last set is a giant set at the cables, and do 4 sets of these movements for 15 reps; each time is at the lower cable position and with the ankle strap:
1.-Angeled kickbacks, with strap right below knee.
2.-Straight leg kickbacks, with strap at ankle.
3.-Side leg laterals, kicking leg out to the side, with strap at ankle.

After this i'm pretty spent, but sometimes do walking lunges for a finisher.
Then stretching after.

Happy Lifting y'all.
Fantastic stuff TBH

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Key is using same volume as 1x week just split it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Been doing legs twice a day for so long I cannot remember when I started. Heavy is the way for me, but heavy is relative. I do a lot of rest pause training, so it is something I can do for 8-12 reps, for multiple sets with a 20-30 second rest between sets.
I meant twice a week, but I am sure you all figured that out.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Key is using same volume as 1x week just split it.
I have a different view on it, however, I'm genetically gifted in the leg department and size was never an issue. In fact, I've always struggled to get my upper body on par with my lower. In any event, I'd do a traditional leg workout 1x/week, and then a second, high volume leg workout 1x/week. I felt it helped density and hardness in my legs.

Then again, I never developed great leg definition. I never got that paper thin skin over the muscle thing with deep cuts that I was shooting for.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
When both m y shoiulders and neck were post and pre surgery I was doing my legs like a MOFO multiple x's per week they responded well and were IMO quite ripped pic is on here I believe.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I have a different view on it, however, I'm genetically gifted in the leg department and size was never an issue. In fact, I've always struggled to get my upper body on par with my lower. In any event, I'd do a traditional leg workout 1x/week, and then a second, high volume leg workout 1x/week. I felt it helped density and hardness in my legs.

Then again, I never developed great leg definition. I never got that paper thin skin over the muscle thing with deep cuts that I was shooting for.

I did both. My legs are very gifted and they respond to squats very well. I had my best growth when training 1x week with 5x 5 progression on squats all with same weight around 5 plates. Then comes either leg press or hacks then hams and calves, long workout...
Also went through period of splitting quads/hams to bring my hams up and it really shined on stage when I competed.
Then later when older, I'd do 1 heavy workout then another session with things like sleds and heavy carrries and they seem to give a very full round look I havent had in a while.
When off cycle, I'd do Rippitoes 5 x 5 squatting 3 x week, of course I'd lose some size and overall balance but it was enough to maintain most of what I gained on cycle.
IMO nothing beats hard and heavy 1x week session but higher frequency can work just as good, you just wont be as strong and recovered as 1x week. In that case, frequency will be the main stimulus for growth instead of intensity(%RM)

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Also want to mention that, those with lots of fast twitch muscles will generate lot of stimulus but also recover slower.
Also those with good movement patterns where you dont need too much focus means you can hit it hard less frequently. For those who the desired movement doesnt come naturally, will need more frequent training for technique reinforcement(think complex movements like olympic lifting)

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I used to do two times a week on my legs and how I always work my routine was heavy the first day with very low reps generally between 3-6 using anywhere from 80 to 90% of my 1RM. Then the second day which I did 3 days later I would keep at about 50% and do anywhere from 10 to 15 reps.

With that in mind if I ever got to the third day and my leg still felt fatigued I would skip legs that week or I push it off an additional day.

I only do volume training now lighter weights very high rep count very high set count and I normally only do legs once per week but after workout they're usually trashed for 3 to 4 days anyway.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic