Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

17.50 an hour to flip burgers

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Back when I got my first working papers I was happy to have a job for min. wage. Supply and demand I guess. Truthfully, any company that pays minimum wage should be ashamed of themselves.

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
To put some context to the minimum wage and who it applies to:

“Almost all full-time workers (99.4%) are earning more than the minimum wage, and almost all full-time hourly workers (98.3%) are earning more than the minimum wage. Most importantly, the fact that more than three out of four teenagers (77.2%), who are the least skilled and least educated group of workers, earned more than the minimum wage in 2011 would suggest the minimum wage is mostly an entry-level wage for beginning workers with no skills. The reality of the labor market is that even a large majority of previously unskilled teenage workers are earning more than the minimum wage as soon as they acquire minimal jobs skills and work habits, and can demonstrate their value to employers.”

Reactions: ceo
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
McDonalds starts at $14 an hour in my small town.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
The Del Tacos out here were hiring at over $20/hr:eek:

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Why does the minimum wage go up but I make the same every year?
Exactly! Not everyone, but for many, there becomes less and less incentive for people who have worked at a company. The tactic to raise the minimum wage or hiring wage to get one in the door I suppose is working, but once your there, I think companies now bank on you not wanting to leave because you're "vested" so there is zero incentive for them to retain you.

I've seen a trend in some companies where they are trying to push out workers who have been there for extended time. They would rather hire a new employee for less to cut cost. It's a messed up thought process in my opinion. IF you have a worker that has been loyal to your company and is a good employee, why mess with them. But all the while the company will feed you the line of crap that "You Matter." That's actually one of the slogans they throw around at the company I work for.

It's a lot of lip service in my opinion. And if you challenge it, they basically will tell you to kick rocks, and you will be replaced in a minute. Used to be loyalty was rewarded. Longevity too. Not anymore.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
i think the most logical answer would be that is a conversation for you and your employer to have.
My situation is such that there's little room for a raise. Like Hawkeye mentioned, I have been there a while and on the upper end. My boss is an asshole on many levels but if he had it and I asked for more money, I'd get it. Problem is, the company is struggling; my chosen field is not doing well across the board. Sad to say but for now, it's just good to have a paycheck. Unemployment will not pay my bills despite all I payed in an only ever signed up for 2 weeks in 40 years of working.

Here's what I need from my government; a good economy! Raising the minimum wage does little for 99% of the American worker, a good economy raises all boats.

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
Somewhat off topic, but fascinating map of wealth distribution in the US.

Attachments

• Economyc-activity-1024x644.png
    Economyc-activity-1024x644.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 61
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Why does the minimum wage go up but I make the same every year?
If you're not getting a cost of living increase as a minimum annually you make less every year. And that sounds like a you problem.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
If you're not getting a cost of living increase as a minimum annually you make less every year. And that sounds like a you problem.
So how much is that is it based on inflation if it wasn't for our bonus we wouldn't get jack.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic