Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

150lb Weight Loss Journal

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
No rush, but you'll need one eventually so that you can continue to progress. Keep up the walking. Walking is probably the best weight loss and general health exercise people can do. Yet I still see people driving to the gym to get on a bike or elliptical type machine or even a treadmill.
Don't forget about body weight exercises too, push ups, pull ups etc.
You're going to outgrow the 80 lbs quickly, so a barbell is a good idea. Check out some of the second hand sporting good stores..ie..Play It Again Sports.. You can get weights as low as 50 cents per pound for iron weights and a decent price on a bar. You don't have to get an Olympic set, but at least get a 6 foot solid bar. Stay away from the concrete weights and hollow bars.

Also, great progress! I haven't posted on your thread before, but I have been following it. Stay determined and you'll reach your goals in no time.:)

I'll go ahead and check craigslist and call around a couple sports outlets, and see what's going on. If I can't find any deals by my next paycheck I'll just spring for a new set on amazon.

How do these look?:

Barbell - https://tinyurl.com/y7tngesu
25lb Plates - https://tinyurl.com/y7s9lx8a

I'll also add some push-ups to my routine - but I don't think I could barely do half a pull-up right now, even with a gun to my head. Haha. Might have to just do negatives on those or maybe use some assistance bands or something. Thanks for the info/support.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Some advice specific to the 2 links you gave: (I lift in a gym now, but my back-up is a garage gym with a different bar and those exact same plates)

Note the bar in your link is a 6ft bar, not a 7ft. Any bar like that at either length would be fine for your needs. If you ever "get the bug" and get stronger and with hard core goals, you will want something stronger (and more expensive), but we'll forget that for now. The shorter 6ft bar is also shorter between the collars than the 7ft. IF you acquire a bench with uprights at some point, or any kind of rack that would hold a bar, (most of) those are too wide to accommodate the 6ft bar (the ad does warn you about this).

Those plates are cast iron, not solid steel. That does not affect the weight of any given plate, but it does make them more brittle. These are fine for the current and near future version of YOU, but do bear the breakability idea in mind. You do not have to handle them like Grandma's fine china, but you put your investment at risk if you throw them around like you may have seen or heard the big boys do in the gym or on tv or youtube. I still think they are fine for you because cast iron is a lot cheaper than steel. My CAP plates were purchased online from WalMart and shipped via FedEx Ground in a bunch of boxes. I got many plates, including quite a few smaller ones so I could do something called "breakdown sets" asap now and then. In the entire shipment, one 5lb plate was broken, which I considered pretty damn good. I'm assuming the plates were put to the test during the normal shipping and handling, I was not unhappy, but I did have a fair amount of other 5s and 10s to go along with the 25s and 45s.

That brings up shipping charges . . . factor that into anything you buy you cannot pick up yourself. My deal was amazingly cheap or I never would have done it, but that may not always be the case. If you were to get major league stuff from Rogue or Sorinex, the shipping will kill you, but the level of things we are discussing, purchased from a store, will be cheaper, sometimes lots cheaper.

If you can score a deal on Craigs List, ebay, etc you can sometimes get better quality @ bargain prices. You also invite the risk of dealing with a guy who overstates the value of his offer. Beware of bent bars, for one example. If you begin mix-matching equipment from individuals, or different stores, for godsakes don't buy plates with 1' inch holes to use on a 2 inch bar, or 2 inch plates for a straight (non-olympic) bar.

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
image 1 (2).jpg

image 2 (2).jpg

Went for an 8 mile hike yesterday around the north fork of the Mokelumne. Beautiful views, but it was almost 100 degrees out by 11am.

I dropped another 3lbs since Thursday. Ditching the processed stuff, lowering sodium levels and adding some veggies was a smart move.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I know this is primarily a bodybuilding and powerlifting forum, but you don't have to, or need to be either of those. What you do have to, and need to do is get healthy. Not for any of us, for you. I don't think that weights are an important aspect of your journey at the moment. I've had two catastrophic surgeries that took weights out of my life for a time. Believe me when I tell you that there are plenty of body weight exercises that can completely smoke you and, more importantly, continue to improve your fitness and physique. They may not seem as sexy as throwing a bunch of slag iron around, but they will still propel you towards your goals. Google and YouTube have plenty of regimens and expames to keep you challenged for a long time. Best of luck; we are all watching and cheering you on.

M

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
I know this is primarily a bodybuilding and powerlifting forum, but you don't have to, or need to be either of those. What you do have to, and need to do is get healthy. Not for any of us, for you. I don't think that weights are an important aspect of your journey at the moment. I've had two catastrophic surgeries that took weights out of my life for a time. Believe me when I tell you that there are plenty of body weight exercises that can completely smoke you and, more importantly, continue to improve your fitness and physique. They may not seem as sexy as throwing a bunch of slag iron around, but they will still propel you towards your goals. Google and YouTube have plenty of regimens and expames to keep you challenged for a long time. Best of luck; we are all watching and cheering you on.

M
So, you're saying I shouldn't be lifting weights?

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
So, you're saying I shouldn't be lifting weights?
I'm saying that focusing on what type, configuration, and quantity of weights you need to acquire is pointless. You have miles of progress that can be had using the resources currently at your disposal.

G

Grizzly911

Jun 17, 2018
View attachment 9515

Okay, so I managed to put together some progress shots. The left was taken Feb 1st 2018, the right is this morning right after a 3 1/2 mile walk. I know there isn't much discernible difference (which is kind of a bummer) but I can tell you that I can sure as hell feel it. I haven't been taking enough pictures. I'll add some different angle next time.

Ha! Progress has definitely been anything from linear. After the initial month of huge loss I noticed that I could fluctuate anywhere from 2-10 pounds within a single day. That completely freaked me out until I realized that high sodium can affect how much water you retain. I'm still eating way too much sodium, but weighing myself at the same time everyday shows the downward trend a lot clearer. I'm expecting to hit some plateaus, and that's when I'll need to start making adjustments. Thanks for the support. It means a lot.

Yeah, I've read so much conflicting information in the last few months, it's insane and completely overwhelming. Everyone always has a study or source that contradicts everyone elses, and everyone has their opinion on the best way to get stronger - so I've been trying to focus on paying attention to the basic principles most folks seems to agree with:

-Eat less
-Be more active
-Pace yourself
-Keep learning
-Set small goals
-BE CONSISTENT

To better something you have to progressively work towards a positive change. I want this more than anything, and know that it's not just some quick fix - that in order for it to be sustainable it has to be a change of lifestyle. Right now I'm 100% focused on staying consistent.
View attachment 9515

Okay, so I managed to put together some progress shots. The left was taken Feb 1st 2018, the right is this morning right after a 3 1/2 mile walk. I know there isn't much discernible difference (which is kind of a bummer) but I can tell you that I can sure as hell feel it. I haven't been taking enough pictures. I'll add some different angle next time.

Ha! Progress has definitely been anything from linear. After the initial month of huge loss I noticed that I could fluctuate anywhere from 2-10 pounds within a single day. That completely freaked me out until I realized that high sodium can affect how much water you retain. I'm still eating way too much sodium, but weighing myself at the same time everyday shows the downward trend a lot clearer. I'm expecting to hit some plateaus, and that's when I'll need to start making adjustments. Thanks for the support. It means a lot.

Yeah, I've read so much conflicting information in the last few months, it's insane and completely overwhelming. Everyone always has a study or source that contradicts everyone elses, and everyone has their opinion on the best way to get stronger - so I've been trying to focus on paying attention to the basic principles most folks seems to agree with:

-Eat less
-Be more active
-Pace yourself
-Keep learning
-Set small goals
-BE CONSISTENT

To better something you have to progressively work towards a positive change. I want this more than anything, and know that it's not just some quick fix - that in order for it to be sustainable it has to be a change of lifestyle. Right now I'm 100% focused on staying consistent.

That's a really good drop so far. I went from 365 down to 320 in a year doing cardio and dieting well. Then I gained some weight after switching to a strength training and cardio program and I went up to 340. I'm 6'5 and I have mass built up from over the years of training, been training since I was 14. I think I need to tweak my diet to eating protein and fibrous carbs in the evening after training so I'm in a cutting phase but not too sure yet. Keep up the good work and remember consistency always pays off and leads to the big picture.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017

M

I agree with this. At this stage of the game you could even benefit greatly from some crossfit stuff. It would really help you burn more calories while getting a base of muscle down.

S

shredded

Jun 26, 2018
Weight-Bench.jpg

these are prolly more your speed! .. i agree with everyone else. u shuld stick to pussy shit like crossfit ...perfect for fat losers

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic