Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

150lb Weight Loss Journal

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
So, I've been obese for the last 10 years. I was 340lbs at my heaviest back in in February. I was hit by a drunk driver back in 2007 and it completely destroyed me. I spent almost 2 years recovering - and during that time I was extremely depressed and struggling with anxiety issues. I started eating to cope with all of it. I've never been through something like that before. I let it get out of control, and instead of looking for help, I shut everyone out and spiraled really hard. Eventually it got to the point where I was starting to lose mobility. I decided I had enough when I realized that my 4x shirt was fitting too tight and was forced to find a place that sold 5x clothing. F-ck that! I'm done feeling helpless and want to do something to get control of my life back. I've managed to lose 70lbs since February.

I've been reading some threads around here and really like the atmosphere so I thought I would go ahead and start a journal. Mostly because it would be nice to have some accountability, but also because I'd like to document my progress. This seems like the right place to do that. After spending a couple months educating myself about macros, portion control, different diets, what kind of exercise is best for my goals etc - I figured that the more simple I could keep it the easier it would be to stay engaged. I figured just doing some basic compound movements with progressive overload on top of some light steady state cardio would be enough to get me where I want to be.

The plan is to keep as much muscle as I can during the cut and if at all possible make some gains in strength/mass. Here's my current info:

Male
Height: 5 11
Weight: 271 (down from 340 in Feb.)
Goal Weight: 190
BMR: 2200
TDEE: 2780
Current Deficit: 700kcal
Daily Cardio: 600kcal
Macros: 183/70/183

I've managed to get the diet aspect pretty well squared away. As far as I can tell at least. I lost close to 40 pounds in the first month alone. I'm usually well over on protein, even on fats, under on carbs. My sodium is through the roof, though, so I try to drink about a gallon of water every 24 hours. I'm feeling full enough throughout the day (still having some cravings), but as long as I get enough sleep, I have enough energy to do a 3 mile walk every morning. That takes about an hour. I also bought myself a pair of dumbbells and have been following a basic routine every other day for the past month. It looks like this:

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue, Thurs, Sat

-4 sets of 8 -
Goblet Squat
Bench Press
Bent-Over Row
Overhead Press
Straight Legged Dead Lift
Alternating Curls
Calf Raises
10 minutes of static stretching

So for the journal I'll be documenting my:
- weekly weigh ins
- calories
- daily activities
- energy levels
- quality of sleep
- lifting progress
- random thoughts

I'll do my best to post some progress pictures and try to take a fresh one every couple weeks. So far I've lost 70lbs! My goal is to lose the rest by January - February of next year. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm 100% committed to get this done. This whole thing will be a learning experience for me, and I want it to be a lifestyle change, not just some quick fix, so any constructive criticism or feedback is welcome and will be much appreciated.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You are already finding that weight loss plan will not show progress in a linear way. In VERY rough terms, February - June is 4 or so months, and you lost 70lbs. June - January is 7 months, and you want 80 more. Doing some kind of simple math with that looks like you've already factored in that progress can continue but slow down a little. Don't let that discourage you as you go, it's natural, it's to be expected, and you will deal with it if you remember all the lousy tricks minds play on us. You're doing great, you will get there, just remember the better you get, the harder it will be to keep getting better. It is SO worth it when you arrive, however.

(I have those last 2 sentences available on bumper stickers, tees, and coffee mugs, btw. Lmk how many you want, and I'll shoot you a pricing schedule . . :p)

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Don't worry about muscle; worry about getting to a healthy weight. The stigma of "can't lose weight without losing muscle" is garbage and has negatively affected the entire fitness industry. You worry about getting that body out it's fat suit and the physique will come in its own. It's going to take plenty of muscle building exercise and diet to drop that last 50lbs. I hope this log lasts more than two weeks. This would be a hugely inspirational journey to reference and share for those who come in the future.
Thanks

M

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
progress comp 1.jpg

Okay, so I managed to put together some progress shots. The left was taken Feb 1st 2018, the right is this morning right after a 3 1/2 mile walk. I know there isn't much discernible difference (which is kind of a bummer) but I can tell you that I can sure as hell feel it. I haven't been taking enough pictures. I'll add some different angle next time.

You are already finding that weight loss plan will not show progress in a linear way. In VERY rough terms, February - June is 4 or so months, and you lost 70lbs. June - January is 7 months, and you want 80 more. Doing some kind of simple math with that looks like you've already factored in that progress can continue but slow down a little. Don't let that discourage you as you go, it's natural, it's to be expected, and you will deal with it if you remember all the lousy tricks minds play on us. You're doing great, you will get there, just remember the better you get, the harder it will be to keep getting better. It is SO worth it when you arrive, however.

(I have those last 2 sentences available on bumper stickers, tees, and coffee mugs, btw. Lmk how many you want, and I'll shoot you a pricing schedule . . :p)
Ha! Progress has definitely been anything from linear. After the initial month of huge loss I noticed that I could fluctuate anywhere from 2-10 pounds within a single day. That completely freaked me out until I realized that high sodium can affect how much water you retain. I'm still eating way too much sodium, but weighing myself at the same time everyday shows the downward trend a lot clearer. I'm expecting to hit some plateaus, and that's when I'll need to start making adjustments. Thanks for the support. It means a lot.

Don't worry about muscle; worry about getting to a healthy weight. The stigma of "can't lose weight without losing muscle" is garbage and has negatively affected the entire fitness industry. You worry about getting that body out it's fat suit and the physique will come in its own. It's going to take plenty of muscle building exercise and diet to drop that last 50lbs. I hope this log lasts more than two weeks. This would be a hugely inspirational journey to reference and share for those who come in the future.
Thanks

M
Yeah, I've read so much conflicting information in the last few months, it's insane and completely overwhelming. Everyone always has a study or source that contradicts everyone elses, and everyone has their opinion on the best way to get stronger - so I've been trying to focus on paying attention to the basic principles most folks seems to agree with:

-Eat less
-Be more active
-Pace yourself
-Keep learning
-Set small goals
-BE CONSISTENT

To better something you have to progressively work towards a positive change. I want this more than anything, and know that it's not just some quick fix - that in order for it to be sustainable it has to be a change of lifestyle. Right now I'm 100% focused on staying consistent.

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
endomondo 2.PNG

endomondo 1.PNG

6/22/18

This was a tough week. I'm stil tweaking my diet a bit, and trying to drink more water. I've been getting dizzy spells after my walks, so I may have to stop doing them fasted. I live in a pretty rural area with a lot of elevation gains - so it's the perfect place for outdoor exercise.

I've been using this app called endomondo to track my workouts/walking. It's pretty handy. Tracks a shit ton of information. I've done 300+ miles since I started in February. I'm literally burning holes in my socks faster than I can replace them. Haha.

supplements 1.jpg

I also started taking a multi, 2150mg Fish Oil and 5,000IU of D3 every morning as insurance - since I'm not eating anywhere near enough fresh fruit and vegetables.

Push50

Push50

Dec 12, 2013
I’ll be following your progress. Looks like you have done a great job so far. Keep it up.

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

Went for a 10 mile paddle yesterday. My entire body is sore as hell, but it was totally worth it. I did some food prep this morning
and managed to get some more veggies worked into the line-up. Finally got my sodium levels under control. How's it look?

Menu 1.PNG

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Congratulations on the initial weight loss! Keep up the good work. Since you mention being rural, I'm assuming that you don't have access to a full gym? Any chance of a barbell?

E

epicurous

Jun 21, 2018
Congratulations on the initial weight loss! Keep up the good work. Since you mention being rural, I'm assuming that you don't have access to a full gym? Any chance of a barbell?
Thanks, man. I'm shit out of luck as far as a gym goes. Closest one is about 30 miles form here and I just can't afford that kind of travel every month. I did buy myself a flat bench, some dumbbells and 80lbs of plates. I do a basic compound lifts every other day. I've been doing my best with regards to progressive overload. I try to add either weight or reps every week.

Honestly, I picked up the dumbbells because they were the cheapest option. Do you think I should invest in a barbell? Would that be a better direction to go?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
No rush, but you'll need one eventually so that you can continue to progress. Keep up the walking. Walking is probably the best weight loss and general health exercise people can do. Yet I still see people driving to the gym to get on a bike or elliptical type machine or even a treadmill.
Don't forget about body weight exercises too, push ups, pull ups etc.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
Honestly, I picked up the dumbbells because they were the cheapest option. Do you think I should invest in a barbell? Would that be a better direction to go?

You're going to outgrow the 80 lbs quickly, so a barbell is a good idea. Check out some of the second hand sporting good stores..ie..Play It Again Sports.. You can get weights as low as 50 cents per pound for iron weights and a decent price on a bar. You don't have to get an Olympic set, but at least get a 6 foot solid bar. Stay away from the concrete weights and hollow bars.

Also, great progress! I haven't posted on your thread before, but I have been following it. Stay determined and you'll reach your goals in no time.:)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic