pbtom
What's New?

14 arrested in Pa. steroid, steroid case

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
HARRISBURG, Pa. (WPVI) --
A total of 14 people were arrested in connection with an investigation into the distribution of both anabolic steroids and prescription drugs in northeastern Pa.

In addition, 13 of those people are alleged to be part of 'transcontinental' distribution rings.

Those suspects shipped hundreds of thousands of pills out of five northeastern Pennsylvania counties, Attorney General Kathleen Kane said in a statement.

Kane said the ring operated out of Montour, Northumberland, Columbia, Luzerne and Lackawanna counties and shipped to dozens of states including Hawaii.

The investigation was dubbed "Operation Gym Candy" and began in April, 2013.

The suspects included probation officer Marc Laubach, current prison guards Nick Baloga, John Taffera and Pete Fisher, and former prison guard Richard Piccaretta.

"It is particularly troubling that five of the people who participated in these rings have been entrusted by our citizens with overseeing parolees or guarding prisoners," said Attorney General Kane said in a statement.

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Prosecutors said Wednesday they broke up a mail-order steroid ring whose participants included three prison guards, a probation officer and player who signed with the Cowboys this year and was cut in August.

The state attorney general’s office announced charges against 13 people, including Brian Clarke, an undrafted free agent offensive lineman who was released by the Cowboys after suffering a groin injury.

The prison guards and probation officer worked at county facilities in northeastern Pennsylvania.

The ring was described in a police affidavit as “an ongoing, sophisticated and comprehensive criminal organization” that assembled raw material from China into pills or injectable form. Some of the defendants were accused of selling prescription drugs.

The charges against Clarke, who played at Bloomsburg University, included the possession and delivery of anabolic steroids. A message left for him at an address listed in his name was not returned.

A search of an apartment in Bloomsburg in June produced thousands of steroid pills and capsules, hundreds of vials that held liquid anabolic steroids, raw steroids, shipping materials and chemical lab equipment. Another search of a home in Berwick found similar evidence, as well as $445,000 cash in a basement safe.

Phone messages were left at warden’s offices at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility, where guards John Taffera, 39, and Pete Fisher, 54, face charges, and the Lackawanna County Prison, where guard Nick Baloga, 44, has been charged.

In Columbia County, 36-year-old probation officer Marc Laubach’s suspension with pay was changed to suspension without pay on Wednesday, said President Judge Thomas A. James Jr. A hearing about his possible termination is scheduled for Monday.

“If it were up to me it would happen today,” James said.

Attorney General Kathleen Kane said she was troubled by the jail guards’ participation.

“They worked every day with individuals who are paying the price for breaking the law,” Kane said in a release. “It is shameful that they decided to break the law themselves.”

The attorney general’s office said some members of the ring used the steroids themselves, and investigators believe some of them took prescription drugs to address pain from weightlifting and workouts.

Most of the defendants were charged with possession of steroids, participation in a corrupt organization and conspiracy, but some also were charged with manufacturing steroids, drug delivery and other offenses. One defendant was charged with only a single count of possession of steroids, while others faced 10 or more different counts.

A 14th defendant was charged with drug-related offenses but her alleged crimes were not related to the purported steroid and prescription drug rings, the attorney general said.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
LE turning on their own. Must be slow days at the office.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
That's a lot of cash. This must have been a sizable operation.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Ahhhh I hate these articles but I appreciate seeing them.

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
I just heard about this anyone have an idea of the name of the ugl?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Trust me, prison guards aren't considered LEO, at least, in the eyes of every other LEO. They have no formal training, and don't have the authority that all other LEO have. They are basically nobodies to LEO.

That said, once again, the Attorney general was "troubled" that these guys were overseeing people that broke the law and they were also breaking the law. Well, moron, you ever stop to think that maybe these guys need an edge when it comes to subduing inmates? Have you seen the special response teams in the prison systems? Most of them are big ass mofos, and for a good reason.

Reactions: DF
T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
I know a couple CO's and they tell me stories of the shit they see and go thru on a daily basis . These dudes aren't allowed to carry any major weapons at all . When I asked one of them what do u do if an inmate tries to get at u or if a situation arises that u have to use force, he said " All I Have Is My Fists "
!!!
WTF ? If that's all I have bro I'm taking me some AAS !!! **** THAT !!!
If that's gonna provide the edge I need to deal with assholes that want to hurt me , I'm doin it !!!

H

hardpr

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2012
this was a sizable cash seizure thats for sure. as for ugl im sure we will find out in time. i for one have not had anything come from this area myself. how about you all. ??

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Trust me, prison guards aren't considered LEO, at least, in the eyes of every other LEO. They have no formal training, and don't have the authority that all other LEO have. They are basically nobodies to LEO.

That said, once again, the Attorney general was "troubled" that these guys were overseeing people that broke the law and they were also breaking the law. Well, moron, you ever stop to think that maybe these guys need an edge when it comes to subduing inmates? Have you seen the special response teams in the prison systems? Most of them are big ass mofos, and for a good reason.

You're pretty much right on all counts here.

I have many cops both municipal and statees and many DOC guys within my network of friends, teammates etc.......they aren't on the same level but I will say that both sides are equally as guilty around here with their AAS usage.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic