Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

10 Point Check list for proper squatting technique

drew

drew

Dec 3, 2010
I am a personal trainer and its amazing how many guys dont know how to squat properly.
So here is a quick check list as you walk up to that power rack holding that for you ready to squat.Whether you call your self a gym rat, armature bodybuilder or just trying to get back in shape...Learn how to SQUAT!
Squat is king for all programs.

1.Head.
Keep it level at the beginning of the squat,your eyes focused directly forward.Think "Head up as I come outta the hole"

2.Shoulders
Squeeze your shoulder blade together to bunch up your traps and create a shelf for the bar.

3.Hands
Squeeze the bar tightly in an over hand grip with your hands far enough apart to control the bar but narrow enough to create the "shelf" with your traps.

4.Elbows
Elbows should point at the floor directly under the bar.

5.Chest
Keep your chest as high as possible throughout the squat.You should be able to read the logo on your shirt in the mirror.

6.Lower Back
Keep it tight and flat.

7.Abs
Push them out by drawing a big breath and flex them as if to brace your self for a punch.

8.Hips
Hips START the movement by pushing your hips back as if to sit in a chair.

9.Knees
Dont let them pass your toes on the decent or turn inward at any point.

10.Feet
(optional)But classic position they should be wider than your shoulders with your toes slightly pointed outward.Keep your weight primarily on your HEELS.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
I'm sure some of the Power guys will elaborate more but here's some of the coaching cues I use

Push back , out and apart

Spread the floor with the feet

Sit back like your trying to find the toilet in the dark

Just before the "sweet spot " you will feel your legs fall in , thats your cue to push out . Push out at the knees and turn the squat around when you know you've hit depth

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I am a personal trainer and its amazing how many guys dont know how to squat properly.
So here is a quick check list as you walk up to that power rack holding that for you ready to squat.Whether you call your self a gym rat, armature bodybuilder or just trying to get back in shape...Learn how to SQUAT!
Squat is king for all programs.

1.Head.
Keep it level at the beginning of the squat,your eyes focused directly forward.Think "Head up as I come outta the hole"

2.Shoulders
Squeeze your shoulder blade together to bunch up your traps and create a shelf for the bar.

3.Hands
Squeeze the bar tightly in an over hand grip with your hands far enough apart to control the bar but narrow enough to create the "shelf" with your traps.

4.Elbows
Elbows should point at the floor directly under the bar.

5.Chest
Keep your chest as high as possible throughout the squat.You should be able to read the logo on your shirt in the mirror.

6.Lower Back
Keep it tight and flat.

7.Abs
Push them out by drawing a big breath and flex them as if to brace your self for a punch.

8.Hips
Hips START the movement by pushing your hips back as if to sit in a chair.

9.Knees
Dont let them pass your toes on the decent or turn inward at any point.

10.Feet
(optional)But classic position they should be wider than your shoulders with your toes slightly pointed outward.Keep your weight primarily on your HEELS.

Good post drew, great guidance. A lot of guys will benefit from this. This should be printed and stamped on every squat rack in the gym here

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic