Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

“Don’t join”

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
This is claiming an increased number of active military members and veterans are telling family members not to enlist.
To me, this seems normal because back when I was a kid and up into my teens, my dad, at the time a veteran, an uncle and several other relatives discouraged me from joining (and I never did).

Also:
“The Pentagon faces a shallow recruiting pool, given that more than seven in ten young Americans are made ineligible for military service by issues like obesity, drug use, and mental illness. The WSJ cited a Pentagon poll indicating that only 9% of 16- to 21-year-olds would consider joining the military, down from 13% before the Covid-19 pandemic.”

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The culture shift throughout most service members careers usually leads to them telling the next generation not to enlist. However, one thing us dinosaurs forget is the culture shift we despise is the culture they grew up in. This is their normal. I could have told my son not to enlist, but I knew the things that I had a hard time adjusting to towards the end were the changes his generation were forcing on me.

The talent pool is definitely drying up. It is even worse now with Genesis. Recruiters cannot hide an applicant's medical history anymore. A kid who took Accutane at 12 years old for acne is now permanently disqualified. We used to just tell him to STFU. The government only knew what you told them. Not anymore.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
It's crazy. that's all I have. Our fake culture is causing this.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
The culture shift throughout most service members careers usually leads to them telling the next generation not to enlist. However, one thing us dinosaurs forget is the culture shift we despise is the culture they grew up in. This is their normal. I could have told my son not to enlist, but I knew the things that I had a hard time adjusting to towards the end were the changes his generation were forcing on me.

The talent pool is definitely drying up. It is even worse now with Genesis. Recruiters cannot hide an applicant's medical history anymore. A kid who took Accutane at 12 years old for acne is now permanently disqualified. We used to just tell him to STFU. The government only knew what you told them. Not anymore.
Why GF?

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
This is claiming an increased number of active military members and veterans are telling family members not to enlist.
To me, this seems normal because back when I was a kid and up into my teens, my dad, at the time a veteran, an uncle and several other relatives discouraged me from joining (and I never did).

Also:
“The Pentagon faces a shallow recruiting pool, given that more than seven in ten young Americans are made ineligible for military service by issues like obesity, drug use, and mental illness. The WSJ cited a Pentagon poll indicating that only 9% of 16- to 21-year-olds would consider joining the military, down from 13% before the Covid-19 pandemic.”

When I was 17 criminal records, obesity, drug use and mental illness didn't matter. Everyone got drafted into Uncle Sam's Army.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
It's really to bad because a person can make a great start to there life by spending the first 20yrs in the military. In 20yrs. you can get a free college degree in one thing and learn another trade based on what your MOS is. You get out with a life time pension and health benefits. At age 40 you can start a new career in what ever you got your degree in or learned while in. And have a lifetime income as a base to add to.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
When I was 17 criminal records, obesity, drug use and mental illness didn't matter. Everyone got drafted into Uncle Sam's Army.
"Back in the day," Women Marines were informally known as BAMs, as in "Broad Ass Marine."
That was before things got softer ... and more "correct."

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
It's really to bad because a person can make a great start to there life by spending the first 20yrs in the military. In 20yrs. you can get a free college degree in one thing and learn another trade based on what your MOS is. You get out with a life time pension and health benefits. At age 40 you can start a new career in what ever you got your degree in or learned while in. And have a lifetime income as a base to add to.
Unfortunately, they changed the pension system in 2019 from the high three to the blended retirement system. Retirement at 20 years is no longer 50% of your highest three years of pay. It is now 30%, but the government does matching contributions to your TSP (401k) up to 10%. There were some other changes as well, a reduced retirement option, an automatic reenlistment bonus at 15 years no matter your pay grade or MOS, etc... It could turn out to be more money if you max out your 401k, but you cannot draw on it without penalty until your old. Where I was promoted high enough on the old system that after 22 years my retirement is enough (along with VA disability) to actually retire on, still do what I want and put money in the bank.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic