Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

clomid before trt

M

MrSmith777

May 30, 2023
Hey everyone... I was hoping to get some perspective on my situation.
I'm 35, background in endurance sports , kept in decent shape for the past 10 to 15 years, lifting, running etc...
During the past couple of years I experienced some significant stress induced health changes, was put on medications, struggled with alcohol for awhile... cleaned up and got healthy but noticed I felt like garbage all the time, experienced all the symptoms of low t... physical and psychological... finally got the bloodwork....
results were 323 total at age 34... the doctor insisted it was normal.... i managed to get more bloodwork a few months later... results were 159 total... 17 free (pg/ml) shbg was mid 30's.... finally was referred to a urologist... he prescribed me clomid 50 mg 2x week rather than putting me on testosterone right away, citing the fertility risk in regard to my age, i have to get more bloodwork and I will see him again...
I've somewhat of a good response so far... some energy back... but i'm really fighting for it... I believe I've experienced some of the negatives as well....but if trt is going to help me feel better than I'm willing to seek the option.
I have another appointment with the urologist but really don't know what direction to go or what he'll suggest... his nurse said they need two labs before they can do trt... i don't know if this is just a protocol thing for him or what... my concern is that if clomid works then my numbers are just going to drop again when i stop it... and clomid monotherapy doesn't sound great...
If anyone has any input or experience with anything similar I'd love to get some input... please excuse the longwindedness, just wanted to be accurate
thanks

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
First off, welcome to TID! You're asking a good question. If the Clomid is working for you, then I would expect that your bloodwork will show some improvement, but the doc will know that and should take that into account.

At the age of 34, I think the doc's concern about fertility is legit, as you may wish to have children over the next 5-6 years, and he wants you to have options.

It's my understanding that if you go onto injectible testosterone, it will tend to shut down your natural production, but if you also supplement weekly with HCG, as it mimics LH, your natural production will still be getting triggered, and my thought would be your fertility would not be greatly affected. But you definitely want to discuss that with your doc.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Your doc is trying to help your HPTA (hypothalmus, pituitary testes axis) restore. Give it a shot. If it works you won't have to be on test the rest of your life from here. He is starting you out low. Don't be surprised if he ups the dose and asks you to retest 3-4 weeks later.

M

MrSmith777

May 30, 2023
hey guys... thanks for the responses...
I'm definitely giving this whole approach an honest attempt. I can't begin to describe the dark place that I was in upon discovering that I'd had low t... I spent the better part of a year trying to address my health and get to the root as to why I felt like walking death all the time before finally confirming my intuitions...
I have my next round of bloodwork coming up and will have to say I've noticed solid improvements that at the very least seem to be worth the side effects if the other option is going back to feeling horrible all of the time. My eyes have definitely been opened as to the value of maintaining a good hormonal profile as a male... My concern now is simply what to do from here... It seems many doctors I find online do not advocate clomid for long term monotherapy... it seems like the side effects of clomid are as severe if not more so than trt. Am I delaying the inevitable.... I mean if I was doing everything to bump my test prior to clomid... If I drop the clomid won't I just go back to the low baseline... I feel as ultimately I'm still going to have to face the choice regarding whether I'll need trt... My next doctors appointment is coming up soon... I'll have to get more information and see where to go from there.....

thanks for the input

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
The fellas have it right. TRT is not the be all end all. It has its downsides too as I am sure you have researched. Sounds silly but OTC test boosters do work. Clomid and some supps may work like a champ.
Good reviews on this one
I have used this and this stuff works

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Only downside to Clomid is that it decreases GH release (see attached paper) and will drop IGF-I by about 30 - 40% (personal and others experiences). One long term side worth considering. Regardless of what hormonal modality you're using to boost T, if fertility is a concern, freeze sperm and bank it. HCG along with T has been shown to preserve fertility as well. Attached is a review worth reading and an older paper regarding the GH.

Attachments

• AJA 2015 Alt HRT Clomid HCG.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Clomid and GH Metabolism 1973.pdf
    469.2 KB · Views: 56
jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Only downside to Clomid is that it decreases GH release (see attached paper) and will drop IGF-I by about 30 - 40% (personal and others experiences). One long term side worth considering. Regardless of what hormonal modality you're using to boost T, if fertility is a concern, freeze sperm and bank it. HCG along with T has been shown to preserve fertility as well. Attached is a review worth reading and an older paper regarding the GH.
Good info Wilson, for a young guy that is something to worry about. For an old fella like me I probably do not make enough GH to do anything. I wonder if doing GHRP a couple times a week would keep it up? i know, complicating the whole thing but it could work?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic