Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

I tore my rotator and damaged nerves from my neck in March

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I had been off for two years of training since covid. All the gyms were closed for at least a year in my area. I got back into training beginning of the year and was doing great. Gained 20 pounds and was around 220 in about 3 months. March I came home and had a burning sensation on my rear delt.

I don't know what event caused this but I was not training heavy just more volume. I'd occasionally shrug heavy to feel the weight. So it began with a burning sensation and within a day my arm needed to be in a sling and my right arm lost 2.5 inches within the week. My shoulder lost size and my bicep shrank. I couldn't raise my arms 15 degrees. I couldn't even curl 5 pounds. the bicep felt like dough when I was flexing it as hard as I could. GP said that was normal for a torn rotator. I said that doesn't seem right.

After two months, got to see a surgeon for a consult because I got an MRI. I didn't need surgery because it was not torn completely. I asked the surgeon if the arm shrinkage was normal for a rotator and he said no. I then got a cervical MRI and my c3 and c5 space got compressed and must have damaged my nerve to my bicep and arm. Did nerve conduction and verified damaged nerves which sucks ass. I still do not know how I even injured myself. The nerve person said it could take two years to get better even after surgery. I've come a long way and can function pretty much normally but weak as shit from not training. my trap compensates for my shoulder when I can't lift it all the way so I have to look in the mirror to try and maintain symmetry in the lift. Hopefully I can get back to as close to normal on my own and not need surgery.

I have an appointment to talk to a neck surgeon but it has been months and my arm has come back like 70%. It's my major arm and it's still smaller than my left arm. I have decided to just get back into the gym and try and train and rehab the arm on my own and hopefully, I can get it back as close as the size it was before the injury. stamina is about half of my uninjured arm meaning I could curl a 10-pound weight indefinitely with my left but the right tires out about a few sets.

Anyway, this is just an update. I am gonna try and be consistent and see where this takes me. That's why I haven't been around much.

This made me realize strong mofos must have a really good nerve to muscle connections.

Last edited:
midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Hey bro I once herniated c5 c6 c7 had major atrophy in my left delt bi and Tri a bit in the lateral as well. Couldn’t lift my arm up had to shampoo hair with one hand. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you the size went away quick … was very scary situation. Happened after a heavy straight bar power rack heavy shoulder presses. Doc said I probably moved my head on the lift.
That was probably 12 years ago. The good news is the size came back about 90% maybe more. I would pin my delt to get oil saturation in the muscle to bring it up. Trained an extra set on certain body parts etc. Really dedicated for a while on that side. Didn’t take too long ….
So, it sucks now but do what you can. Be sure to keep your body / head square as you lift ..never move your head under weight however heavy. Especially once you’ve had a neck injury.
Good luck bro hang in there you’ll be fine in time. Be patient

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I had my surgery about 2 months ago, rotator cuff, bicep had to be pulled up and work on my elbow. Just do what the doctor says. Like Mid said be patient.

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
Am I feel you had a disc replacement early last year. Tore my bicep and rotator cuff. Everything on my right side. Be patient and careful. Is your Orthopedic says your radial nerve is pinched don't delay atrophy sets in on the tricep. Loss 2 inches on my arm.

Good luck hope it works out.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
@midevil. Mine sounds very similar to you. I forgot about the showers. I do have habit of pressing my head against the bench. Need to quit that.

@Realize , @Pooh6369. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll feel better once I get in the gym. The asymmetry bothers me hope to reduce that.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Am I feel you had a disc replacement early last year. Tore my bicep and rotator cuff. Everything on my right side. Be patient and careful. Is your Orthopedic says your radial nerve is pinched don't delay atrophy sets in on the tricep. Loss 2 inches on my arm.

Good luck hope it works out.
@Pooh6369 They can replace discs now? I didn't know they could do that. I have bad L4,5,S1 and figured low disc replacement would come before cervical. How are you doing now?

Last edited:
Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
@Pooh6369 They can replace discs now? I didn't know they could do that. I have bad L4,5,S1 and figured low disc replacement would come before cervical. How are you doing now?
Had the titanium disc, replaced 2, didn't want to fusion the recovery period is so long with fusion.
Replace my C5-C6-C7. Had to chill about 6 weeks, then started back slowly. Now I'm good, the only restrictions I got was no more barbell squats. Due to weight on neck, no biggie. Use belt squats and sled instead.
My c6-c7 pinched my radial nerve which affects your tricep. So did get some atrophy, but still working my was back. My horseshoe which went away, is slowly coming back.

That's why I mentioned if you have any nerve damage (weakness, tingling fingers, elbow pain). Get the surgery ASAP!!

Not sure about lower back disc replacement. Good luck to you I'm pulling for you!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic