Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Iron levels

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
So I waited way too long about giving blood. Normally every other month but I got busy and had some things come up. I went in today and they would not draw because my iron was 20.3. My question is how can I get it down enough to donate? I dropped the Vitamin C and the cast iron skillet, going to chicken for a bit instead of red meat. Any suggestions?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Hey GS,
Chances are good that your HCT and HGB are elevated right now as well.
On carnivore, my iron, HCT and HGB can get elevated as well.
Are you on any particularly androgenic dominant peds right now…. higher than trt doses, etc ?
IF so, lower those for a month. Back off the beef (and liver, any and all organ meats), and rely more on poultry, dairy (milk, yogurt) and eggs for a month.
Avoid alcohol and all sugar heavy items.
After a month, try again, and be certain you go in very well hydrated.
If at that time your level still reads high, then I’d talk to your / a doc to get a therapeutic phlebotomy authorization.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hey GS,
Chances are good that your HCT and HGB are elevated right now as well.
On carnivore, my iron, HCT and HGB can get elevated as well.
Are you on any particularly androgenic dominant peds right now…. higher than trt doses, etc ?
IF so, lower those for a month. Back off the beef (and liver, any and all organ meats), and rely more on poultry, dairy (milk, yogurt) and eggs for a month.
Avoid alcohol and all sugar heavy items.
After a month, try again, and be certain you go in very well hydrated.
If at that time your level still reads high, then I’d talk to your / a doc to get a therapeutic phlebotomy authorization.
Thanks brother. I'm struggling right now. Really tired and lethargic. Tried to gym today and just couldn't. I have been doing 250mg of test per week for the last year and a half but was thinking about dropping that to every 10 days. I think some other things may have been off as well because she brought me a form and told me to get to the Dr ASAP.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks brother. I'm struggling right now. Really tired and lethargic. Tried to gym today and just couldn't. I have been doing 250mg of test per week for the last year and a half but was thinking about dropping that to every 10 days. I think some other things may have been off as well because she brought me a form and told me to get to the Dr ASAP.
Be good to check most certainly. Might be freaked at your carnivore lipid numbers?? Or perhaps it’s related to the iron and HCT & HGB levels ??

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
If your numbers are that high then maybe ask your Dr to write you a script to donate a few times. Or try a different donation center.

But Essentially going forward, you have to cut out all red meat and look at every label and make sure you aren’t getting iron in any form. Your body will process some, but not that much.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
So I waited way too long about giving blood. Normally every other month but I got busy and had some things come up. I went in today and they would not draw because my iron was 20.3. My question is how can I get it down enough to donate? I dropped the Vitamin C and the cast iron skillet, going to chicken for a bit instead of red meat. Any suggestions?
They don't measure your iron, they measure hemoglobin, they will say iron bc the average person has no idea what hemoglobin is. Hb = 20.3 is g/dl. Roughly that would be a HCT of 60.9%. Way too high. It will take about 3 phlebos (500 ml) to get it down to 17 and HCT < 50%. You need a phlebo now. Drop the T completely until you get it back down and then make sure you stay on top of it. Once your Hb > 20% RC won't take the blood, then you're f'd unless your doc writes a script and never tell them your doc wants you to donate or you'll get blacklisted for donations.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Good advice, I suffer from high hemoglobin/iron levels. Heck, most of us here do I bet, and don’t even realize it without consistent blood work.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Good advice, I suffer from high hemoglobin/iron levels. Heck, most of us here do I bet, and don’t even realize it without consistent blood work.
High iron can be a problem esp for the liver and heart, androgens suppress hepcidin and that increases iron uptake from the gut, compound that with a high iron intake from food that we all like in large amounts and it can be a problem. Even HRT level dosing can cause problems, gotta make sure you get regular blood work, no excuse not to and get phlebos or donate regularly as needed. Like blood pressure, easy to fix but if ignored, nothing good will come from it.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
High iron can be a problem esp for the liver and heart, androgens suppress hepcidin and that increases iron uptake from the gut, compound that with a high iron intake from food that we all like in large amounts and it can be a problem. Even HRT level dosing can cause problems, gotta make sure you get regular blood work, no excuse not to and get phlebos or donate regularly as needed. Like blood pressure, easy to fix but if ignored, nothing good will come from it.
You’re right. I need to start donating more often again.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Update

Going back this morning. They told me if they could get a test of 19.9 or lower they would allow me to donate. Fingers crossed and praying. I feel like hell.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Update

Going back this morning. They told me if they could get a test of 19.9 or lower they would allow me to donate. Fingers crossed and praying. I feel like hell.
Hydrate very well day before and day of test. Afternoon tests (in my own experience) tend to trend lower numerically (more favorably) since there’s more time to hydrate and everything’s flowing well after more activity.
If you can make that 19.9 threshold and donate, that will / ought to get your level down as many as 2-3 points, then donate again in 2 months when you’re eligible again.

NOTE: Just reread your post and realized when you’ve read this, you’ve already gone! Hope your next post is good news.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic