pbtom
What's New?

Cold Weather-Warming Up

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I have noticed given the weather situation, that i am finding i am needing to warm up more in preparation for my weightlifting sessions. Note, that i am currently 51yo, so warming up is now a permanent part of my workouts LOL. Especially since i am now 3.5yrs post RC repair surgery as well.
But i have noticed (i'm in the midwest US), that the weather is colder and gym is actually on the underside of a 2 story building, so i am finding that my normal warm up has not been sufficient so i have added more movements to my warm up to get warmed up. I normally warm up in like 10 mins, but now finding 15 is now the norm.
Preventing injury is my #1 concern at all times, so this is very important to me.

Dang weather LOL.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I have noticed given the weather situation, that i am finding i am needing to warm up more in preparation for my weightlifting sessions. Note, that i am currently 51yo, so warming up is now a permanent part of my workouts LOL. Especially since i am now 3.5yrs post RC repair surgery as well.
But i have noticed (i'm in the midwest US), that the weather is colder and gym is actually on the underside of a 2 story building, so i am finding that my normal warm up has not been sufficient so i have added more movements to my warm up to get warmed up. I normally warm up in like 10 mins, but now finding 15 is now the norm.
Preventing injury is my #1 concern at all times, so this is very important to me.

Dang weather LOL.
LOL.. it sucks because that cold eats right though you. I have always warmed up on the elliptical for 15 mins. Usually till I feel myself get warm. Then my first exercise is also weighted warm up. This really helps cut down on those injuries.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
We are about the same age & I am dealing with the cold temperatures also. I always warm up for 2-3 sets on my first exercise. Each movement I do after the first I do a lighter set to get in the groove to make sure everything feels like it should. I kind of follow a pyramid scheme but not in the fact that I add weight to every set. Kind of follow Seth Feroce advice on really getting warmed up & blood pumping but not to the extreme he takes it.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Always try to do a proper warm-up.

I do love the people that spend 45 minutes warming up and doing mobility work, and then about 20 minutes actually training.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I don't know if this will work for you....but during the lockdown I used a few tricks to really warm me up. I have a gym in my garage with everything but cardio equipment. I didn't have a heated garage so about 20 minutes before my workout I would take a hot shower to loosen up. I always train covered up anyway so I would also add sweet sweat on my delts elbows neck etc. Then cover up. I pop a stocking cap on too. Once I got in the garage gym I would do some low impact movements and stretches then some light warm-up for everything. I got an enormous amount of heat going that way.
Many years ago when training in a commercial gym in my 20s and 30s I would hop in and out of the sauna a few times to raise my temp.
Good luck.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
My warm ups are usually my first sets. But, my first sets are little to no weight at all. I'll take a half song and push little to nothing to get the motion, lol

On my shoulders I can't get a full range of motion till I work with it a little.

I do it on everything except calves, bis and tris.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I don't know if this will work for you....but during the lockdown I used a few tricks to really warm me up. I have a gym in my garage with everything but cardio equipment. I didn't have a heated garage so about 20 minutes before my workout I would take a hot shower to loosen up. I always train covered up anyway so I would also add sweet sweat on my delts elbows neck etc. Then cover up. I pop a stocking cap on too. Once I got in the garage gym I would do some low impact movements and stretches then some light warm-up for everything. I got an enormous amount of heat going that way.
Many years ago when training in a commercial gym in my 20s and 30s I would hop in and out of the sauna a few times to raise my temp.
Good luck.

These are great ideas. Wish my gym had a sauna LOL. Thanks!

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
LOL.. it sucks because that cold eats right though you. I have always warmed up on the elliptical for 15 mins. Usually till I feel myself get warm. Then my first exercise is also weighted warm up. This really helps cut down on those injuries.
This is what I do as well. Get on the elliptical and get a good sweat going before working out has really helped me over the years.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic