Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Mud Tires

W

wavedrifter

Dec 3, 2018
I am planning to buy a set of mud tires for my 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew. Is anyone here familiar with Toyo Tires' Open Country M/T? A friend recommended it to me. Any other suggestions?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Always used BF Goodrich when I had trucks even though I wanted Dick Cepek's that I could never afford when I had trucks http://www.dickcepek.com/

I did have Toyo racing tires when I had my Lexus, I can tell you they gripped the road like no other but not sure if that translates to mudders or not.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I am planning to buy a set of mud tires for my 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew. Is anyone here familiar with Toyo Tires' Open Country M/T? A friend recommended it to me. Any other suggestions?

I use to have a F-150 and used Mickey Thompson 33's. I also had a 2" lift on it. The Supercrew may be tall enough already to not need a lift.
Take a look at the following:

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZP3

I have the Baja ATZ on my wife's Jeep. These are aggressive, but also ride good on the highway and are radials

https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/tires-wheels/tires/mickey-thompson/_/N-cm77uZ1z0rraz

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Got the ProComp Xterrains on my jeep, that has a 4.5" lift. Used that jeep as my DD for several years (daily driver). Tires road good both on highway and performed well for me off highway as well. I would do wheeling on the weekends at local parks or drive to Attica, IN to the badlands for a wheeling trip once or twice a year

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Got the ProComp Xterrains on my jeep, that has a 4.5" lift. Used that jeep as my DD for several years (daily driver). Tires road good both on highway and performed well for me off highway as well. I would do wheeling on the weekends at local parks or drive to Attica, IN to the badlands for a wheeling trip once or twice a year

I have had ProComp Xterrains too. Very good tire. What size did you put on 33's or 35's?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@Bigtex 33s. I couldn't go any bigger because of the weak axle : )
And I did not change out the axle. Just left the stock one in there.
Oh well....

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
stay away from that les schwab toyo unless you want to buy em every 15k miles

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
@Bigtex 33s. I couldn't go any bigger because of the weak axle : )
And I did not change out the axle. Just left the stock one in there.
Oh well....

I completely understand. We have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (2dr), it hat has a heavy duty rear axle but the big issue is the front to rear axle ratio. Ours is a 3.21. You really need a minimum of 4.0 to handle the 35's. The 33's are plenty. We dropped from 19mpg to 12.5mpg just with the change in tires.

Honestly, I love this Jeep more than my F-150! Lots of run to drive. The JEEP Wrangler was also just named the Motor Trend SUV of the year.

M

metsfan4life

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2014
BigTex knows his Jeeps! I like him

33's BF Goodrich All-Terrain is the ONLY tires i have ever put on any of my Jeeps and ever will. Simply gets you everywhere easily without the need for different types

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
BigTex knows his Jeeps! I like him

33's BF Goodrich All-Terrain is the ONLY tires i have ever put on any of my Jeeps and ever will. Simply gets you everywhere easily without the need for different types

Jeep people are the best. Its like a clan! We all do the traditional Jeep wave here.

We had our 1st Jeep back in 1980. It was cheap and to be honest a piece of crap. I swore I would never own another one after it caught fire on day and burned up. The new Jeeps are totally different. Very nice interior, much better ride and put together much better. The only problem is they are damn expensive now but the resale is GREAT. We paid $30K for our 2dr Wrangler JK Sport. We put $6K worth the custom work on it. So it is worth $36K now. Kind of an expensive toy but its hard to say no to my wife. We put a new front and rear bumper on it with a bad ass winch, got a really obnoxious LED light bar put on the bumper that lights up about 200 yards like daylight. Its a work in progress still.

I had the chance to experiment with different tires back when I drove an F-150 4x4. I had Coopers, Goodyear, Thornbirds, ProComp Xterrains, and finally the Mickey Thompson. The Thornbirds looked very cool and are very aggressive but wore out in about 20K miles. Cooper and Goodyear had a rough/stiff noisy ride. The last two are my choice, the ride is very soft, noise minimal and you can easily get 40-50K miles out of them. Mickey Thompson is just a little cheaper and they also had a $100 rebate and free shipping. Never used the GF Goodrich but hear good things about them from Jeep owners.

M

metsfan4life

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2014
Jeep people are the best. Its like a clan! We all do the traditional Jeep wave here.

We had our 1st Jeep back in 1980. It was cheap and to be honest a piece of crap. I swore I would never own another one after it caught fire on day and burned up. The new Jeeps are totally different. Very nice interior, much better ride and put together much better. The only problem is they are damn expensive now but the resale is GREAT. We paid $30K for our 2dr Wrangler JK Sport. We put $6K worth the custom work on it. So it is worth $36K now. Kind of an expensive toy but its hard to say no to my wife. We put a new front and rear bumper on it with a bad ass winch, got a really obnoxious LED light bar put on the bumper that lights up about 200 yards like daylight. Its a work in progress still.

I had the chance to experiment with different tires back when I drove an F-150 4x4. I had Coopers, Goodyear, Thornbirds, ProComp Xterrains, and finally the Mickey Thompson. The Thornbirds looked very cool and are very aggressive but wore out in about 20K miles. Cooper and Goodyear had a rough/stiff noisy ride. The last two are my choice, the ride is very soft, noise minimal and you can easily get 40-50K miles out of them. Mickey Thompson is just a little cheaper and they also had a $100 rebate and free shipping. Never used the GF Goodrich but hear good things about them from Jeep owners.

You aint kidding brother. Jeep4Life. If you dont wave, you're not a Jeepster...period. or just a prude

Wont lie...I wasnt born in 1980 lolz. But my 1st vehicle was a 1979 Jeep CJ7 I bought for a 1K. Floor boards were welded together with beer cans, no lie, looked like a bazooka went thru it. Full frame-off restoration. ended up getting 10k for a selling price, couldnt keep it b/c needed gas mileage for college (8mpg wasnt cutting it). I still have the VIN number in case i can find someone to look it up for me and track it down, i want it back!

Very true on the new jeeps...the ride is so much more clean and can actually go a decent speed lolz. but the price is outlandish. you get a base model for cheap but if you want to put toys one it, you end up spending 10-20k with a nothing thought about it. That and if you go brand new, gotta put the toys on them but void almost all warranty. I want the new 4 door but priced it out with the toys i currently have and could easily spend 60k.

Ive always used the BF Goodrich All-Terrain and never had an issue out of them. I just put new ones on and ended up at around $1500 after all said and done. best option was this guy on craigslist that had 4 of them and had no idea what he had... one tire was crap so i used my spare tire, 2 tires were around 80% and another was around 60-65% and wanted $100/4 tires...lasted me a while.

Right now my Jeep has 265k miles on it lolz

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
You aint kidding brother. Jeep4Life. If you dont wave, you're not a Jeepster...period. or just a prude

Wont lie...I wasnt born in 1980 lolz. But my 1st vehicle was a 1979 Jeep CJ7 I bought for a 1K. Floor boards were welded together with beer cans, no lie, looked like a bazooka went thru it. Full frame-off restoration. ended up getting 10k for a selling price, couldnt keep it b/c needed gas mileage for college (8mpg wasnt cutting it). I still have the VIN number in case i can find someone to look it up for me and track it down, i want it back!

Very true on the new jeeps...the ride is so much more clean and can actually go a decent speed lolz. but the price is outlandish. you get a base model for cheap but if you want to put toys one it, you end up spending 10-20k with a nothing thought about it. That and if you go brand new, gotta put the toys on them but void almost all warranty. I want the new 4 door but priced it out with the toys i currently have and could easily spend 60k.

Ive always used the BF Goodrich All-Terrain and never had an issue out of them. I just put new ones on and ended up at around $1500 after all said and done. best option was this guy on craigslist that had 4 of them and had no idea what he had... one tire was crap so i used my spare tire, 2 tires were around 80% and another was around 60-65% and wanted $100/4 tires...lasted me a while.

Right now my Jeep has 265k miles on it lolz

Those 4 door Jeeps can easily run around $36-$40K. The at least all have a 4.0 axle ratio so you can easily put 35's on them. But again, that is a whole lot of money to pay for a toy. That CJ7 I had in 1980 had some kind of a polymer header on it. It constantly leaked oil. Finally one hot as summer day, I parked the Jeep and a neighbor knocked at my door to tell me my Jeep was on fire. It was totaled. Had it not been for my wife talking me into buying another one, I probably would not have taken the chance. Once I got to test drive a 4 door Renegade fully loaded I was so impressed. It was like driving a Cadillac Escalade. It cost around $46K. We paid $30K and at least got a/c, a hard top and decent stereo. Manual windows and door lock but the seats are damn comfortable. Its only my wife and I so 2 seats is all we need. We laid the back seats down so we have more storage space for groceries!

There is a Jeep place here that sells used Jeeps, most custom. you can easily find 10 year old Jeeps with 80-100K miles for $25-$30K. So the resale value is very high, especially the more custom stuff you put on. The dealer said they had almost 500 Jeeps on their lot (new/used) and they said they can't keep them in stock.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic