pbtom
What's New?

My goal is to build muscle and lose fat

Sul2001

Sul2001

Aug 13, 2018
Hey members i need a few tips
I recently bought Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein
But i do not know how many scope should i take when should i take and is it before or after or while im working out my goal is to bulk but i have a bit of fat on me
i weight around 76 kilos and 174cm This sounds strange i get it:)

jp2code

jp2code

Feb 10, 2018
So, I came here because the weekly email I get said this was one of the Hot New Topics for this week, yet I see zero (0) Replies.

I'm in the USA, so I have to start by looking stuff up.

76 kg => 167 lbs
174 cm => 69 inches => 5 ft 9 in

I think I did that right.

I am also 5'9, but my weight is up at 200 lbs (91 kg). I struggle and count calories to keep my body fat down. By the BMI scale, I am nearly Obese. You are in the Normal zone.

NOTE: The BMI scale is complete crap because it does not take into account people who are extremely muscular, but these people are only about 1% of the population. For the rest of the world, it gives them something to see where they stand.

So how old are you? A 19 year old would have different requirements than a 50 year old man like myself.

How many calories do you burn in a day? Someone who pushes a lawn mower all day, every day, is going to burn a lot more calories than someone who works at data entry on a computer all day (again, like me).

I've got an app on my phone that lets me track my calories. I'm not dropping any advertisement, but this free app has helped me a lot:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitnow.loseit

A great start is to know how many calories a day you are taking in. After about 6-months of logging, I have learned that my body generally burns about 1800 calories a day, including my workouts.

You can also look at what foods you are taking in. Is it all Carbohydrates and Fat? How much Protein are you taking in? To maintain muscle, you should generally take in at least 1 gram of Protein per pound of body weight. Personally, I think that should be 1 g of Protein per pound of muscle mass, but the rule isn't carved in stone anywhere. If you want to grow muscle, you need more protein - as much as 2 g per pound of muscle.

Now for some personal notes on what you mentioned: Whey Protein. Personally, I think that is crappy protein. I know that most of the body builders in the world use it, but it's just a cheap protein derived from milk. Milk contains estrogen, a female hormone, and my body started reacting a lot better when I transitioned off of all milk proteins about a year ago. Sure, I occasionally have an ice cream, cheeseburger, or slice of pizza, but no where near like I used to live on milk products!

Beef protein is awesome! There is a product by Muscle Meds called Carnivour that comes with natural aminos and Creatine. Taking it has transitioned my workouts, making my body more responsive and feeling more pumped.

Back to nutrition, now. I like a 40/40/20 ratio in my Protein, Fats, and Carbohydrates. 40% of your calories from Protein. 40% of your calories from Fats. Only 20% of your calories from Carbohydrates. It is difficult to do, and often the Carbohydrates find their way into a greater percentage (especially on Fridays if someone brings in donuts).

On your Fats, do what you can to make those good fats. Fish oil, Avocados, Nuts - those are great! Coconut Oil is a great additive.

On your Carbohydrates, try to stay away from the Simple Sugars (like donuts). Try, instead, to eat Whole Grain Breads, Brown Rice, Green Vegetables, or Sweet Potatoes.

For Proteins, there are lots of options like Steak, Chicken, and Fish. Beans can offer a high source of Protein, too, but these come with a lot of Carbohydrates - so watch out.

A little about me: I went into the United States Marine Corps in 1988 and got out in 1992. While I served, I focused on running because that is how our physical performance was graded. Since getting out, I have been going to the gym, so about 25 years. Off and On, I will take martial arts classes to mix it up or add a shock to my body.

I'm not in the best shape. I do not and never will compete. My goal is simply to stay healthy and be able to kick the other guy's ass whenever I need to.

IMG_20180518_183853584.jpg

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
So, I came here because the weekly email I get said this was one of the Hot New Topics for this week, yet I see zero (0) Replies.

I'm in the USA, so I have to start by looking stuff up.

76 kg => 167 lbs
174 cm => 69 inches => 5 ft 9 in

I think I did that right.

I am also 5'9, but my weight is up at 200 lbs (91 kg). I struggle and count calories to keep my body fat down. By the BMI scale, I am nearly Obese. You are in the Normal zone.

NOTE: The BMI scale is complete crap because it does not take into account people who are extremely muscular, but these people are only about 1% of the population. For the rest of the world, it gives them something to see where they stand.

So how old are you? A 19 year old would have different requirements than a 50 year old man like myself.

How many calories do you burn in a day? Someone who pushes a lawn mower all day, every day, is going to burn a lot more calories than someone who works at data entry on a computer all day (again, like me).

I've got an app on my phone that lets me track my calories. I'm not dropping any advertisement, but this free app has helped me a lot:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitnow.loseit

A great start is to know how many calories a day you are taking in. After about 6-months of logging, I have learned that my body generally burns about 1800 calories a day, including my workouts.

You can also look at what foods you are taking in. Is it all Carbohydrates and Fat? How much Protein are you taking in? To maintain muscle, you should generally take in at least 1 gram of Protein per pound of body weight. Personally, I think that should be 1 g of Protein per pound of muscle mass, but the rule isn't carved in stone anywhere. If you want to grow muscle, you need more protein - as much as 2 g per pound of muscle.

Now for some personal notes on what you mentioned: Whey Protein. Personally, I think that is crappy protein. I know that most of the body builders in the world use it, but it's just a cheap protein derived from milk. Milk contains estrogen, a female hormone, and my body started reacting a lot better when I transitioned off of all milk proteins about a year ago. Sure, I occasionally have an ice cream, cheeseburger, or slice of pizza, but no where near like I used to live on milk products!

Beef protein is awesome! There is a product by Muscle Meds called Carnivour that comes with natural aminos and Creatine. Taking it has transitioned my workouts, making my body more responsive and feeling more pumped.

Back to nutrition, now. I like a 40/40/20 ratio in my Protein, Fats, and Carbohydrates. 40% of your calories from Protein. 40% of your calories from Fats. Only 20% of your calories from Carbohydrates. It is difficult to do, and often the Carbohydrates find their way into a greater percentage (especially on Fridays if someone brings in donuts).

On your Fats, do what you can to make those good fats. Fish oil, Avocados, Nuts - those are great! Coconut Oil is a great additive.

On your Carbohydrates, try to stay away from the Simple Sugars (like donuts). Try, instead, to eat Whole Grain Breads, Brown Rice, Green Vegetables, or Sweet Potatoes.

For Proteins, there are lots of options like Steak, Chicken, and Fish. Beans can offer a high source of Protein, too, but these come with a lot of Carbohydrates - so watch out.

A little about me: I went into the United States Marine Corps in 1988 and got out in 1992. While I served, I focused on running because that is how our physical performance was graded. Since getting out, I have been going to the gym, so about 25 years. Off and On, I will take martial arts classes to mix it up or add a shock to my body.

I'm not in the best shape. I do not and never will compete. My goal is simply to stay healthy and be able to kick the other guy's ass whenever I need to.

View attachment 9597

looking good bro. you may want to take off the cum stained t-shirt though. just sayin...……………….

C

Coach Chris

Aug 20, 2018
But i do not know how many scope should i take when should i take and is it before or after or while im working out my goal is to bulk but i have a bit of fat on me

Very common question! First, a whey supplement should be for post-workout nutrition - other than that try your best to get protein from whole food sources (helps to have different digestion rates given the time of day and also relative to when you are training). I suggest given your weight not exceeding a scoop and a half at a given time.

Given your height and weight (and that you are wanting to lose a little bit of body fat) I suggest a diet highest in protein and moderate in fats and carbs - track this for a couple of week and see what happens with your fasted weight on a day to day basis. From there begin to alter types of foods and portion sizes until you begin to notice a downward trend in fasted weight WITHOUT sacrificed muscle size. If you are losing muscle size you are either in too great of a deficit or not eating enough protein (or both)

I know I went intro greater detail than asked here but #TheMoreYouKnow!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
That's because he started a different thread, as I suggest you do for your intro instead of hijacking someone elses. I can assist if you need.

jp2code

jp2code

Feb 10, 2018
That's because he started a different thread, as I suggest you do for your intro instead of hijacking someone elses. I can assist if you need.
I have zero interest in an intro to the twats.

jp2code

jp2code

Feb 10, 2018
Posted a pretty long intro to not want an intro...
Wasn't an intro. That was simply answering his questions.

Had I stated what I do for my body type without specifying my body type, I would not expect someone to go looking for my Intro thread to see if i'd listed my body type.

If you have issue with me, please take it up in a PM and stop derailing the OP's thread. That is unprofessional.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Wasn't an intro. That was simply answering his questions.

Had I stated what I do for my body type without specifying my body type, I would not expect someone to go looking for my Intro thread to see if i'd listed my body type.

If you have issue with me, please take it up in a PM and stop derailing the OP's thread. That is unprofessional.
No issues besides being argumentative, carry on.

SwarowskiBen

SwarowskiBen

Aug 23, 2018
I use gold standard in the morning when i can't have a meal.
But in your case maybe it's ok to use one scope after training in couple with fast carbohydrates

U

upurshirt

Sep 5, 2018
The amount of whey to take would depend upon the total amount of protein consumed per day.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic