Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Help: Squat Form Tip

M

Mike A

Jul 14, 2018
Hello,

I have been having trouble with knee pain for a while. I am currently in PT for it and seems to be a tendonitis but not 100%. I am posting a short video of me squatting because I want to make sure it does not stem from this lift. Let me know if there are any improvements you can notice! Thanks in advance.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hello,

I have been having trouble with knee pain for a while. I am currently in PT for it and seems to be a tendonitis but not 100%. I am posting a short video of me squatting because I want to make sure it does not stem from this lift. Let me know if there are any improvements you can notice! Thanks in advance.

Get rid of the chair and hit depth or start box squatting properly meaning sit back more.

A few guys will try and tell you that your knees shouldn't track over your toes. That's not actually true. It depends on your leverages. Your knees can go forward some it's not a big deal. Your problem is you are stopping on the way down. It's like smashing the brakes on your car. Over time things will wear down.

M

Mike A

Jul 14, 2018
I switched to box squat because I figured it would help me with my form. How exactly do I sit back more?? I am trying to sit back as much as possible.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I switched to box squat because I figured it would help me with my form. How exactly do I sit back more?? I am trying to sit back as much as possible.

Anyone from westside is a good teacher for box squats

M

Mike A

Jul 14, 2018
I appreciate all your help so far. Could you maybe explain a little more as to what I am doing wrong in the video? I am having a hard time understanding what exactly it is I do wrong that is causing pain in the knees.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I appreciate all your help so far. Could you maybe explain a little more as to what I am doing wrong in the video? I am having a hard time understanding what exactly it is I do wrong that is causing pain in the knees.

You are high! When you stop and reverse above parallel, all the force is on your knees rather than transferring to the flutes and hams.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When you stop above parallel that will do it.

Box squatting is an exaggerated way of moving the weight off the knee and over the ass. I have trained guys with major one issues to squat pain free like it's described in the video.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You're performing squats onto a shoulder press seat which is your first problem.

You're going to have forward knee travel b/c you're a raw lifter and you're high bar squatting. Excessive forward knee travel isn't good for the knees and like what has already been stated if you're performing leg extensions, quit them immediately.

M

Mike A

Jul 14, 2018
I have normally squated in the past without a box but switched because I heard it’s a good way to fix form issues. So I moved to the box squat hoping to figure out why I was getting pain in knees when doing any type of squat. So is box squatting above parallel what is causing this? I’m still confused on what you are trying to say.

You're performing squats onto a shoulder press seat which is your first problem.

You're going to have forward knee travel b/c you're a raw lifter and you're high bar squatting. Excessive forward knee travel isn't good for the knees and like what has already been stated if you're performing leg extensions, quit them immediately.
Why is a shoulder press chair a problem? Too high?

What do you mean by raw lifter?

And I do not do leg ext.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic