Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Looking to bulk up( weight gainer works?)

T

Tonayy

Jun 27, 2018
Hey, I think that I fall into the skinny category and was looking to put on muscle mass. I weigh from 150-155 and I’m 5’9, I think I think have a good amount of muscle mass it’s just that its hard to get heavier.
upload_2018-6-27_11-13-14.jpeg
upload_2018-6-27_11-11-54.jpeg
upload_2018-6-27_11-11-11.jpeg

T

Tonayy

Jun 27, 2018
Basically want tips on how to bulk up my chest and stomach area, what to eat, how many days should I go workout if I have a pretty active job of hauling household items (couches,fridges, beds, anything really)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Gaining weight always comes down to doing one thing. Eating more calories than you expend.

A lot of times when I talk to folks like you who are having a hard time gaining weight I find they are training 5 to 6 times per week. That's crazy as it puts your total daily energy expenditure very high.

So you should try a combo of things.

First change to a 3 day per week push/pull/legs routine. Second, start shoveling food down your gullet.

If eating more is a challenge start eating faster. When I needed to do this years ago I started eating bowls of ground meats and starches. So say a bowl of pasta with ground beef. I could shovel 800 calories down faster than my brain signals it's full.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Another "hard gainer" looking for the secret to gains!

Laws of thermodynamics apply to everybody equally.

EAT MORE.

Welcome to The Den.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
I concur on all the above posts. And I'm a "hardgainer" that had to learn for myself

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
When I made the jump from 175 to 215, I ate non-stop. Eating will actually become a chore. If you are not eating until FULL...you're not eating enough. Be prepared to get some love handles and give up the abs for a few months. Too many younger guys wanna "get big" but don't understand that a calories surplus is mandatory.

It's also going to take more than a 30 day commitment. It took nearly a year to put on 40lbs of muscle and it also required getting up to 230ish then trimming down the bodyfat. It's summer in the Northern Hemisphere so you might as well enjoy the "beach bod" til September. Eat like a psycho from Sept to April and then tell us you can't gain weight ;)

T

Tonayy

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you all for the feedback! I guess I just gotta eat a lot more than I do! It’s kinda difficult to do because im working 10-12 hours a day of being on a busy schedule. Time to start prepping food!
How much of a calorie surplus should I be trying to hit throughout the day/week? Does “serious mass gainer” from gnc work well?

G

Grizzly911

Jun 17, 2018
Thank you all for the feedback! I guess I just gotta eat a lot more than I do! It’s kinda difficult to do because im working 10-12 hours a day of being on a busy schedule. Time to start prepping food!
How much of a calorie surplus should I be trying to hit throughout the day/week? Does “serious mass gainer” from gnc work well?

I wouldn't buy a GNC brand weight gainer, too over priced. I would buy the weight gainer by Carnivore instead at an independently owned supplement store or for a cheaper price buy either at Amazon or supplementwarehouse.com but make sure you rely mostly on food, a supplement is an on to your already massive diet. Make diet and water intake your number one priority along with sleep if you can. Generally weight gainers make you hold onto a lot of water and give you a bloated look so keep it at a minimum with the weight gainer.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
Weight gainers make you gaseous and bloated, and most are full of empty cals. If you want to increase cals, add a 1/2 gal to a gal of whole milk ed in addition to food ( not as a substitute). This will give you an extra 1000 to 2000 cals ed.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
My most successful bulk phases have been high carb/high protein/low fat. I find that the more fat in a meal, the slower gastric emptying occurs, and the longer intervals become between meals. You only have 16 hours/day to eat. Use it wisely. Lean protein + carbs + vegetables 6+ times/day has been good to me. Good luck.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
My most successful bulk phases have been high carb/high protein/low fat. I find that the more fat in a meal, the slower gastric emptying occurs, and the longer intervals become between meals. You only have 16 hours/day to eat. Use it wisely. Lean protein + carbs + vegetables 6+ times/day has been good to me. Good luck.
....and weight gainers are shit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic